Lt. Commander
# 131
07-07-2010, 09:57 AM
i mght be wrong but didnt the romulans give the klingoons the cloak for ships in a trade if anyone could help that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 132
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
i mght be wrong but didnt the romulans give the klingoons the cloak for ships in a trade if anyone could help that would be great.
I'm not sure if that was ever made explicit onscreen, but that's the widely accepted fan-explanation that migrated into the licensed works to explain Romulans getting Klingon ships in TOS (due to special effects budget) and the Klingon cloaking capabilities demonstrated first in TAS and then more solidly canonically in Star Trek III. The DS9 ep with Kor going senile makes reference to the first generation of Klingon ships with cloaking devices, but I'm not sure if the episode said it came from the Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 133
07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I'm not sure if that was ever made explicit onscreen, but that's the widely accepted fan-explanation that migrated into the licensed works to explain Romulans getting Klingon ships in TOS (due to special effects budget) and the Klingon cloaking capabilities demonstrated first in TAS and then more solidly canonically in Star Trek III. The DS9 ep with Kor going senile makes reference to the first generation of Klingon ships with cloaking devices, but I'm not sure if the episode said it came from the Romulans.
"According to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Journal, the Romulan cloaking device was acquired by the Klingons as an exchange to several D7-class battle cruisers for the Romulans during the Romulan-Klingon Alliance"

memory alpha
Lt. Commander
# 134
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
"According to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Journal, the Romulan cloaking device was acquired by the Klingons as an exchange to several D7-class battle cruisers for the Romulans during the Romulan-Klingon Alliance"

memory alpha
Yes, that would be the licenced-works stance I mentioned, but as far as I can remember it's not explicit in canon. Not that it would likely be repudiated at this point, since it's become such an accepted part of the lore.
Lt. Commander
# 135
07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
There is a ingame mission at the lower levels that facilitates this from being a "concern" into all out "the Rommies now consider us a hostile force."
I can't remember the name of it, several players have complained it was too violent and "un-Star Trek", but it does start off the conflict with the Romulans - unofficially.
I believe that reference to be taken in context to a specific faction of Romulans not the overall Romulan community. Again having different factions mad at you is not an issue unless those factions come together and collectively assume the reigns of power. Then there will be trouble...
Lt. Commander
# 136
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
I believe that reference to be taken in context to a specific faction of Romulans not the overall Romulan community. Again having different factions mad at you is not an issue unless those factions come together and collectively assume the reigns of power. Then there will be trouble...
It does not specify which of the Romulan shards you are specifically attacking in the mission.
The mission just merely works as an Undine subversion for STar Fleet that leads us to massacre innocents romulan scientists and thus leads to our conflict with the Romulans ingame. Thus a state of war exists with one Romulan faction becuase they believe we attacked without provacation.

As a side note, The Hirogens are attacking Star Fleet due to thier agreement with one of the other Romulan factions, whom gave the Hirogen free hunting in romulan space.
Lt. Commander
# 137
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Yes, that would be the licenced-works stance I mentioned, but as far as I can remember it's not explicit in canon. Not that it would likely be repudiated at this point, since it's become such an accepted part of the lore.
I believe that would be what is considered "soft" canon - something that has never really been set in stone - or even "fanon" that the writers picked up on.
Lt. Commander
# 138
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow. I didn't think it would come to this.

If Federation ships start getting cloak, I'm afraid I may have to actually quit playing this game. If you want cloaking, play a Klingon. Or wait for Romulans to release. Why is everyone obsessed with giving the Feds cloaking? Just because the Galaxy X has it, doesn't mean you should ruin the rest of the ship balance imo.

Personally, I think introducing the Galaxy X into this game was the stupidest thing Cryptic could have done. Do you see the ****-storm you've unleashed now Cryptic? For shame...

Edit: And for the record, I'm a Fed player. Does getting jumped out of cloak by 5 BoPs suck? Of course, but that doesn't make me run to the forums and cry that I want cloak too. Cloaking is one of their advantages, so if anything, Cryptic should just properly balance the side without access to cloaking to compensate for the enemy advantage.

At any rate, I've been the lowest level ship in a match, and been jumped by a handful of cloaked ships who were no doubt looking for an easy kill. It took them way longer to kill me than they thought it would, I'm pretty sure about that, and even though I died in the end, it allowed my teammates to clean up the rest of the Klinks that were focus firing on me for so long. Oh noes! You actually die sometimes in PvP!
Lt. Commander
# 139
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I would welcome the ability to really upgrade my ship size, internal, external and upgrades inside as well to that of my rank, so if i want to upgrade i can though at the moment i cant in regards to BO's or more weapons and so on. Example, i would like an higher tier Akira or an Nova Class.