Lt. Commander
# 121
07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
That's why we are fighting for better equality for the Klingon faction .... especially when it comes to new elements in game.

Strengthening what Klingons have ... C-store and otherwise ... gives more people a desire to play the game overall which makes for a strong MMO in the long run.
I support more content for Klingons fully.
Lt. Commander
# 122
07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeOnline View Post
Riiiiight. You just put a halt to content development for a year and spend that time building an entirely new payment structure that actually pulls in money from lifetimers because everything is going swell. A payment structure modeled on how they recesitated a dead P2P game. I'm well aware, nay, intimately aware of how the model being presented on the LotRO F2P beta server works. I have concerns - it takes a lot of points to raid-spec a character under the new rules. While the incentive points will cover the permanent purchases for 1 character, if you have a whole stable, you could be spending quite a bit to fully upgrade several characters. And the real money cost of stocking the new regen potions for a single 10 minute boss fight comes to over $20 cash-ey money.

The need for those elements will depend entirely on how the content writters scale future content, but they didn't put those things in to NOT make money.
Content development didn't halt for a year. 1) It hasn't been a year since new content came out and 2) just because it hasn't been released, doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on. The extensiveness of the new Enedwaith update as described is a testament to that.

Since the Enedwaith beta is currently under NDA, I hope you are not truly "intimately" aware of what you are saying.

As a LOTRO Founder and lifetimer, I disagree with your assessment. And since nothing is being taken out of the game (e.g., regen potions will still be craftable, still be quest rewards, obtainable in various ways, etc.), the idea of having to spend real money vs in-game currency is a falacy. It is not necessary for subscribers, it's merely a shortcut for those who don't want to earn them or for f2pers who can't obtain enough in-game gold.
Lt. Commander
# 123
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Y'all do realize that due to the self made reused engine, and MASSIVE preorder sales, Star Trek Online more then broke even, and is currently in pure profit mode, yes?

Arguing that they do this to pay off what they owe CBS is folly. They are just keeping the servers on.

Also LotRO went free to play because they had paid off all of there debts that game had, so they are opening it up to more players so as to capture micro transaction income to maintain the game. There are rumors that *** will as well, now that its base costs are paid off, and with Secret World coming out, it makes sense.

MMOs are evolving, and since most do not have the massive momentum that is the beast known as WoW, they are looking for ways to make money in new ways.
Lt. Commander
# 124
07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Here's a few things I've seen on the C-Store dev schedule...

Costume Slots
Bridge Officer Slots
Ship Slots
Bridge Packs
2 New Ships from the ship poll (excelsior/nebula)

No dates on when they will all be available yet - but those items are in the works and will be here sooner than later.
I hope they'll also be working on free costume slots too, like CO and CoH had.
Lt. Commander
# 125
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Here's a few things I've seen on the C-Store dev schedule...

Costume Slots
Bridge Officer Slots
Ship Slots
Bridge Packs
2 New Ships from the ship poll (excelsior/nebula)

No dates on when they will all be available yet - but those items are in the works and will be here sooner than later.
Are you FRACKING kidding me?!? The new ships are C-Store exclusive? That is seriously weak sauce and I'm seriously disappointed if there is no other way to have access to these ships if they are going to be lvl 51 tier equivalent.
Lt. Commander
# 126
07-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalazon View Post
Are you FRACKING kidding me?!? The new ships are C-Store exclusive? That is seriously weak sauce and I'm seriously disappointed if there is no other way to have access to these ships if they are going to be lvl 51 tier equivalent.
Shhh! They'll hear you! They evidently DON'T LIKE us being ****ED OFF about them trying to sell us something we're already paying for and closed two other threads when people complained about it! Don't let the consumers gather to complain!
Lt. Commander
# 127
07-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Content development didn't halt for a year. 1) It hasn't been a year since new content came out.
SIege of Mirkwoood released December 1, 2009. We still have just shy of 4 months until the next release, so excuse me, 11 months rather than a year. In the interim we recieved arguably one of the most content-light free expansions in the entire history of the game. The seasonal events are bigger than the prologue of saying 'hi' to every named ranger in Eriador.

Quote:
2) just because it hasn't been released, doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on.
Going from release date to release date, which I imagine trails the work dates by a certain margin, yeah, they've had most of a year off from making content. I sure hope they're feeling rested.

Quote:
As a LOTRO Founder and lifetimer, I disagree with your assessment.
So am I. You're allowed to interpret the facts however you like. What I see is a game that has had a radical reorganization, one which has occured at the same time as the ultimate nadir of mission content production in the history of the game. You do not do that for healthy games.

Quote:
...the idea of having to spend real money vs in-game currency is a falacy.
Um, what do you think the point of such a system is? They spent all that coding and development time for yuks?

Lets take this up again in say... 6 months.
Lt. Commander
# 128
07-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
and this surprised you ?
You should know the business model by now.... "never throw the loyal supporters a bone".

Lt. Commander
# 129
07-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
This is why their efforts might be better given to the Klingon faction.
Lt. Commander
# 130
07-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
This is why their efforts might be better given to the Klingon faction.
If we ever see a Klingon Exclusive Expansion with tons of PvE Episodes and more ships and sectors, I can see Cryptic trying to sell it.