Lt. Commander
# 1 My Normandy SR1 Render
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
So I modeled this for Bridge Commander (from scratch using Schematics)

Critique?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...gercluster.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngTheRelay.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...erseusVeil.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../NewWorlds.jpg

(I also made the mass Relay. Both models are somewhat WIP, but mostly done.
If anyone here likes BC (specifically modding for BC-KM 1.0) I'd be glad to discuss how I got the mass relay to produce the appropriate VFX.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
looks nice enough to me, but I would love a full size all beauty possible render of it just for a wallpaper love that ship
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Very nice work man, I'm impressed .

One thing: Do the lower pylons move (not that it really matters for the game, just a point of interest)?

Like I said though, great work overall, particularly with the mass relay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
The lower Pylons could be made movable for warp, but I don't yet know how to do it.

I've seen other BC ships, such as the intrepid, with moving parts..... But the scripts are still giving me a hassle. I might figure it out before I release the ship... dunno yet....

Heck, just to make the Normandy's shields invisible, and give the Relay a blue zero-damage beam for the Relay effect was a 4 hour process of trial and error (and I know some Python already)

For comparison, thats as long as it took me to model the ship and build textures from screen captures.

On that note, I still wish I had better textures.
But even the actual in-game ones were no better over my screen-cap compilations.....

Still got cleanup to do on her, the front part of the lower pylons needs to look less stretched, more solid black.
And the undersides of the upper nacelles need to be all black as opposed to a mirror of the top half texture.

She's also missing the forward mini-fins on the nose.

Don't even get me started on the Relay itself The models is right where I want it, but the texture for the blue glowy part needs a rework, and there is horrid stretching all over the thing.....

And of course after all this, I have to Hardpoint the Normandy proper, get its weapons engines etc in the right place and looking right..... \

Can you believe I want to make this into a full size ME pack for BC?
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
looks nice enough to me, but I would love a full size all beauty possible render of it just for a wallpaper love that ship
I can do a render of mine in a higher resolution (I think) I just usually run BC at 1024x768 for FRAPSing.

Still, that won't make the ship look as good as it does in the cut-scenes, I'd need a better game for that :p

But I can try making a large wallpaper.

Any preference as to setting? A planet? Nebula? etc?
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
nice work but it looks like a futuristic chip clip.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Very nice work! I like that ship. Being a frigate (in ME1 at least. In ME2 a double-size frigate. Is that still a frigate?), it still has that fighter-ship sleekness and maneuverability which is very cinematic and exciting.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Space Hamster or GTFO.

Haha jk, that's actually pretty good. My compliments.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
Very nice work! I like that ship. Being a frigate (in ME1 at least. In ME2 a double-size frigate. Is that still a frigate?), it still has that fighter-ship sleekness and maneuverability which is very cinematic and exciting.
I consider the SR-2 to be a hybrid Frigate/Cruiser.

In any case, you brought my mind around to weapons loadout.

I divide ME weapons, (possibly incorrectly, this is based on what I see in the codex and in the game) into four categories;

1. Point Defense, these are usually beams, EG the GARDIAN anti-fighter system.
This is the only time beams are used by non-reaper/non-Geth/non-Collector ships.

2. Rail-guns, the 'main' weapons of any ship, they come in three flavors, light medium and heavy.

3. Mass Drivers or 'Gauss guns' they are exactly like rail-guns only with really really big really really fast really really really hard hitting slugs. They come in light and heavy, and only dreadnoughts can fire heavy.
Cruisers fire *one* light.

4. Torpedoes, the 'secondary' weapon on most ships.
Each race uses more or less one type on capital ships (Alliance has the type they call 'Javelin' Torpedoes)

The SR-1, if I had to make a guess, would have 4 light rail-guns and one torpedo launcher.
SR-2 has two medium rail-guns (higher damage output than 4 light) and two torpedo launchers.

A non-Normandy class Alliance frigate has 3 light rail-guns and a torp launcher, is less agile than Normandy, has no stealth systems, but does have GARDIAN and more kinetic barrier power.

A standard Alliance cruiser has 2 Torpedo launchers (carries more), 1 light Mass Driver, 1 Heavy Rail-gun, and 4 medium rail-guns.

A Dreadnought has 4 torpedo launchers, 1 heavy Mass Driver, 2 heavy rail-guns, and 8 medium rail-guns.

All the above ships with the exception of SR-1 have GARDIAN systems with near 360 degrees of coverage.

Thats the current balance plan anyways, with Turians, Asari, Quarians etc being balanced similarly.
Collectors and Reapers each have their own particle beams, and Geth get primitive but effective particle cannons.