Lt. Commander
# 41
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I have run many guilds in many games now and almost all of them have been highly successful. Poaching is a part of mmo's and something i've always done. Not out of disrespect to the other clan or anything nefarious like that.
The guilds I usually run are top end min max type groups, generally rude and crude humor. To put it short if you find a personality that suits the type of group you have and someone else showed them the ropes it's less training you need to do.

Bok like everyone else will lose someone to poaching. Any guild of a large size will lose a large number of people to poaching. You do not own people and if another fleet has something to offer a person that they find more appealing than your fleet tough luck.

Now the above I have described only applies to one fleet finding one person in particular or a small number of people. If people are simply trying to poach from another guild for the sake of trying to run havoc in another guild/fleets ranks then even as a poacher in past games i find that low......
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
lol what a funny thread poaching really more like your fleets not good enough for the player and they got a better offer.

Thats how you build a super fleet by finding the good players from all over and getting them to join other good players. Supply and demand, we need more good players and some of them just jumped in the first fleet that offered until boom a better fleet of players offers them a slot and they want to progress/upgrade.

Its completly up to the player to make that move and poaching in a game is just funny its not like in businesses where it can cost you alot of money. The player chooses to leave and if your fleets not good enough for him then he was always going to leave at some point.

im not a poacher btw and aren't even in a fleet atm, but have to agree that poaching is a completly normal practise in games and there is no contract stopping anyone from doing it. If you want the best superfleet you would need to poach outside the circle a little.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything here they are asking them the question. you should be ****ed off with the player leaving not the person who recruited them.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I look at it this way, it's a game, play it enjoy it...heck live if you like.
"Poaching" is going to happen.
I don't do it. If some one "poaches" from our fleet, so be it. We couldn't offer them what they wanted.
I don''t even broadcast in game. If some one asks to join a fleet and they seem reasonable enough, I pm them and ask if they are interested. Some stay, some don't join and some leave. Our fleet is relatively small, ad personally I like it that way. Sure it has some disatvantages but from my limited experiences with MMOs, I lke small fleets, guilds, clans and feel I can participate more and have more input into the betterment of said groups.
Tonight I started talking to a Fed fleet and we are working on doing some teamed PvP, waaay better than a majority of PUGs.
Their fleet is pretty big and ours is small but if we can get something working or and uneasy alliance with other of our bretheren, that would make for our own extra content, knowing your foes, their skills and abilities and working on a team to outwit the other sounds like a ton of fun for me...
OOOOps was trailing off topic.
With that being said, let the poachers poach, the larger fleets can afford to have folks come and go, heck our small fleet can too, we can always replace the lost souls and build our ranks as the days go by.

All hail Lords of War! (heh, has to throw in a quick poaching plug.....)
Glory to the Empire!!
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
There's nothing being said about members leaving on their own.

The topic is people actively trying to recruit members of other fleets. It's a classless act on the part of the person trying to poach, not to mention generally annoying to most fleet members having to get these tells.

Get your members on the merits of your fleet. If people from other fleets are interested in what you have to offer they will apply on their own. If people aren't interested and no one is applying, then maybe you have a problem that poaching members from other fleets isn't going to address. We don't need to try and entice people away from each other's fleets. That's just shameful, not to mention very immature behaviour.

Indeed,

It is a never ending cycle in MMO games that have guilds.

It doesn't go away, and it is never resolved.

Kinda makes you think that Klingons act this way on a normal basis.

Maybe you should come to the Federation side Hagon.

We don't act this way, and we have cookies!

*Waves cookie at Hagon*
Lt. Commander
# 45
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I know one thing you can trust some fleets, when you start a small one off the other bigger fleetsstart poaching your members. It's a nasty thing to do, to lure away people you've made friends with, with promises of high end items that are normally bound anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Okay - I may be about to make myself unpopular here...

<donning flame-proof undies>

Will I actively seek to poach people with promises of goodies, or other bribery ? Nope.

Will I hesitate to let another person who was a good PUGger know if he would be interested in our fleet, that we would love to see him/her apply ? Not for a single solitary second. I have done/will continue to do this.

Now, if they choose to come over, great. If not, then I let them know to look me up in their list, if they ever need a hand. If the 'losing' fleet is upset - well - why did the person leave?

Kinda like IRL jobs. Rarely rarely rarely does a person completely and totally happy with all aspect of their career go looking for a job. If they get one dropped in their lap that is for some reason completely awesome, they will either look into it, or lie saying they never looked. (but you know they did)

Would I *HOPE* that they give the old fleet notice before coming to Unrepentant ? Sure...just as you should give a courtesy notice to your old job (even if they totally suck) It is just the right thing to do.
Lt. Commander
# 47
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
4 months old = necropost
Closed Thread