Lt. Commander
# 21
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post

If they'd implement using in-game earned starfleet merits or energy credits, marks, medals, badges, whatever to earn C-Store items as well as real money ...... I bet that would quell a huge amount of angst.

you should be able to grind/earn/whatever ALL of the c-store items if you choose to, or choose the instant gratification of buying them outright for cash....let the players decide what they would prefer...
Thats a workable mechanic, assuming that they set it up so that a decent number of people would still shell out cash.

This would likely involve making the acquisition in-game very difficult or time consuming, but this would suit me just fine as the harder it is to get something the more sense of accomplishment you have when you get it, especially if you got it for free because of all that work.

It would give people yet another thing to stick around and work towards.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Define a lot
and define how the c store is game breaking for anyone?
its content. its is no different then other MMOs that do the same.
nothing is, or does allow one to be OP over another player.

do i get a +10 awesome bonus for wearing the TOS uniform? nope.

the game can still be played without any of the c store items.

i get the idea of your post, but until they start to offer game altering mechanical items, it is full of fluff and nothing more then that. and if you dont want it, dont buy it. if you do, then buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
i get the idea of your post, but until they start to offer game altering mechanical items, it is full of fluff and nothing more then that. and if you dont want it, dont buy it. if you do, then buy it.
Every species but Klingon and Ferengi.

TOS Connie.

3-buff tribble.

Galaxy-X.

All alter gameplay with concrete mechanical effects unique to them.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post

TOS Connie.

3-buff tribble.

Galaxy-X.

1. different basic traits, not game altering.

2. low level and offers one extra engy slot for a console. still not game breaking.

3. 3-buff? maybe i read it wrong, but it was two buff in my understanding. nothing a person cannot make when feeding tribbles.

4. gal-x - really? game breaking? t4 slots, slow mover. ooo, so it has a cloak and a self aim laser on it. still not game breaking.

each of these have an advantage and a disadvantage. all items within the game already have highs and lows. if each ship had the same stats, then the game would offer no challenge.

i get your points and see where you are coming from, but your degree of gameplay altering i think is a bit larger then you realize.

and im am not arguiung against you personally, i just like to converse and discuss until i can see more of what people consider game breaking.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:

TOS Connie.

3-buff tribble.

Galaxy-X.

TOS Connie and the tribble were available before they were put on c-store and can probably still be gotten from buying the game from the stores with those bonus items. GX has a very poor game mechanic and has no effect on the game other than being a well liked target.

Caitain can take pounce but all characters have a knock down with riffle butt. Pounce will only knock someone down 25% of the time.

Tellarites have a very poor version of Fury. Fury increases damage when you are below 50% health. Tellearites have a 50% chance to get 20% damage increase when taking a damaging critical strike. Which doesn't happen a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogmahone
Dear cryptic,
You'r c-store stinks, why nickel and dime the people that keep the game running? I must say this a very poor bussiness pratices and a slap to the players.
Dear Pogmahone,

Nickle and dime the players? Please name at least 1 item in the c-store you absolutely need to play this game? Don't like the c-store? Don't buy anything. It's that simple. Cryptic isn't forcing you to purchase anything. I like the c-store and I'm sure many others like it too. Buying from the c-store supports a game we all love to play.

More money for cryptic = more game development.

Less money for cryptic = less game development.

Sounds like practical business to me.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Also, please name one thing you can get from the C-store with just a nickel or a dime.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowboy View Post
All the series uniforms.
I bought my uniforms the old fashioned way. By purchasing multiple boxes.

Quote:
New playable species??
Meh. They all need some work. They're not that good. I wouldn't stress them.

I'm a HUGE Pakled fan. And I bought the Pakled. Really, I don't recommend buying the playable races unless you're a huge fan of that particular race. And even then, you'll be disappointed. As most posters state they are.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Also, please name one thing you can get from the C-store with just a nickel or a dime.
The upcoming "Nickel and Dime Them" Ferengi only Emote they're planning for Season 4, patch 6.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
each of these have an advantage and a disadvantage. all items within the game already have highs and lows. if each ship had the same stats, then the game would offer no challenge.

i get your points and see where you are coming from, but your degree of gameplay altering i think is a bit larger then you realize.

and im am not arguiung against you personally, i just like to converse and discuss until i can see more of what people consider game breaking.
The concern is not so much that they are OMGWTFPWNZOR!-level game-breaking. They are slightly advantageous, they give a slight advantage.* The problem is that even slightly, this is game-altering. Granted, only a very little bit, and only a slight advantage... but the concern that I think SquidheadJax has is that it can easilly become a slippery slope because, originally, there was not supposed to be anything game-altering *at all* on the C-Store. Then there's stuff that's slightly altering (the multibuff tribble.) Now there's something that is slightly more game-altering (Galaxy-X.) The Connie is also marginally better than the starting CL. And the playable races on the C-Store do have an effect, albeit (again) minor. All small things... but there was oiriginally not supposed to be such things in the C-Store at all. So now... where does it stop? What's the line that says 'this is game affecting and should not be in the C-Store,' and 'this is not-quite-so-game-affecting and could be in the C-Store.'?

My own concern is a little more visceral and not quite logical. As I have said before, I grok that Cryptic uses the funds from the C-Store to accelerate development; they have a year of non-live development to catch up on, after all! And I know that the $15/mo. USD subscription fee should, in 2010 dollars, be rightly $20 (but no major or would-be-major MMO wants to be the first to charge that much.) So they're essentially working with a loss. I get it. But what bothers me is that some of the stuff creeping into the C-Store is iconic. Okay, my particular bugaboo is ships. We spend most of our time staring at our ships, and they, more than the races, define Star Trek. Granted, this is IMHO, so take this with an isogram of salt; but I find it unfortunate and disappointing that two ships that were really asked for, that were considered very 'iconic' of Trek (at least of this era of Trek) are being put in the game but only if you pay above and beyond your subscription fee.

Again, I realize that they are releasing a lot of stuff for our base subscription, for no additional cost... but honestly, until a year has passed -- six months and counting, or thereabouts -- I will hold off any judgement as to if the content is enough for a fully-released game. Because right now... I'm sorry, Cryptic, but CBS and Atari pushed you to release a year before there was enough content and development. I don't blame the Cryptic developers, I think they did a pretty good job for the time they had. I just don't think the Cryptari marketing folks and bean-counters really have the best interests of the game itself at heart, instead of just the bottom line.

* - Personally, the Galaxy-X has dubious advantage, since most people flying one try to fly it like a massive Defiant and get ZOWNT after they make their first pass.
Closed Thread