Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
Uh, maybe you need to check YOUR facts as the article is quoted correctly. God, and I thought I was a fanboi...
He was actually correct. There are two distinct ships (and some skins).

Speaking strictly of Feds alone:
  • TOS Connie and Gal-X are distinct ships types. They're separate.

• The six skin variants are integrated into existing ship types at RA.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
Uh, maybe you need to check YOUR facts as the article is quoted correctly. God, and I thought I was a fanboi...
show me these 7 ships that are in the c-store then... becasue i only see the gal-x, and TOS connie, the rest are skin replacments.

just becasue your wrong dont go cry to mummy...
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
He was actually correct. There are two distinct ships (and some skins).

Speaking strictly of Feds alone:
  • TOS Connie and Gal-X are distinct ships types. They're separate.

• The six skin variants are integrated into existing ship types at RA.
thanks, someone on these forums who can actually read...

+10 awesomes for you
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I have a bad felling about the C-Store...
Maybe C-Store will kill this game :x
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
They nailed it.
Quote:
That is where the comparison to STO breaks down. STO currently offers nine playable Federation races, and nine more for purchase in the C-Store. Players have access to nine ship types when they reach Rear Admiral, and another eight in the C-Store. Do you see what I'm getting at? Unlike Blizzard's store, the offerings from which represent the merest fraction of equivalent content available in-game, Cryptic's store contains fully half of the Federation races, and nearly half of the game's top-tier ships! And don't even get me started on the fact that the folks at Cryptic want you to pay human moneys for emotes.

Put very simply, players have to buy an outrageous proportion of certain content -- half of the races and nearly half of the endgame ships in STO -- on top of the mandatory subscription. So what happens when you remove most subscriptions from the equation?
That says it all. It's just too damn much. I don't know what else to say. essentially the game would not be profitable if they didn't nickle & dime? That says a lot about the game itself.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Kind of interesting when you start looking at it that there is more content in some areas in the C-Store than in the stock game....

Frankly, getting kinda miffed though that Cryptic ain't keeping two promsies on the C-Store.

1. What is found in the C-Store can be found in-game (only the Galaxy X holds true here).
2. C-Store Items will be cosmetic changes only and not give players an advantage (Calling BS on this one - Galaxy X anyone?)

I am getting to the point I think these 2 promises are going ther way of the Dodo. But that is just me.

Blakinik
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakinik
Kind of interesting when you start looking at it that there is more content in some areas in the C-Store than in the stock game....

Frankly, getting kinda miffed though that Cryptic ain't keeping two promsies on the C-Store.

1. What is found in the C-Store can be found in-game (only the Galaxy X holds true here).
2. C-Store Items will be cosmetic changes only and not give players an advantage (Calling BS on this one - Galaxy X anyone?)

I am getting to the point I think these 2 promises are going ther way of the Dodo. But that is just me.

Blakinik
I've never heard of a single situation where the Gal-X grants any sort of advantage. Hell, the cloak is more of a hindrance.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-15-2010, 06:19 PM
It seems that this article makes a mountain out of a molehill. Let's take this from the top:

1) The whole 'STO is going F2P' thing. Daniel Stahl idly speculated that he could, possibly, maybe see STO going F2P at some vague point in the future, simply because DDO was quite successful at doing so. This has somehow become 'OMFG!!!! STO is going F2P VERY VERY SOON!!!!'

2) In the C-store, the 8 ships aren't 8 ships. They're 2 ships plus 6 skins for ships.

3) One of the two actual ships is designed as a replacement for the STARTER ship, so why this is being compared to top-tier ships is beyond me.

4) Apart from one item (the Galaxy-X ship), there is no clear advantage in-game from having a C-store item that you can't get from having another item via simply playing the game. Even then, from what I can see, Cryptic are at least trying to balance this advantage (the fact it's currently the only Federation vessel that can cloak) with disadvantages. Of course, how well they've succeeded is open to debate.

So, in summary, the article says, 'On the one hand, we have DDO -- the very model, if ever there were one, of how to do freemium right. The cash shop is packed with items, but it doesn't feel intrusive or too important. Maybe that's because you can play the game without it!' From what I can see, this is EXACTLY what can be said about STO and the C-Store. Therefore, I don't see the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Information concerning the new additions to the C-Store has been updated. Please direct your feedback Here.
Closed Thread