Lt. Commander
I had a few ideas for what fleets could use for a starbase or something. different levels of fleet rally points, first level is basicaly what is battle gorup omega is but without a conduit, you can have your fleets jupitor class flagship as the center of it (also they should add variations of it) and your fleets admiral and vice admiral can operate it in a space fleet action by themselves or they can co operate it, one person drives and uses front cannons and the other uses rear cannons ( make the amount of weapons like 7 front and back) for level two fleet rally points you would get your starbase(for fed you get to chose beetween the two designes) and your fleet and flagship could sit in the shipyard in front of it, for function the shipyard could repair injuries to your ship faster than engenieer on a regular starbase. the starbases would also have interiors and a vault which holds much more than the bank does, as well as several social areas like a lounge with various mini-games or different areas of the starbase live the admiral and vice admiral office. level three would have a transwarp conduit that could send captins to any regular starbase, also other things would be upgradeable options like NPC ships in your shipyard you could summon to space in fleet actions(like the tatical officer ability)

BTW your fleet rally point could be in any of the star clusters in game and you would get a choice where, but you have to fly to that cluster to go there

everyone tell me what you think of these ideas, and could a cryptic dev mention these to the STO producers
Lt. Commander
# 2 Great Idea
07-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Thank You ... I was just discussing this topic with other players today and this makes an idea, practical. I'm not sure if I agree with a fleet having a controllable "flagship". However, a Jupiter class vessel, llke Battle Group Omega, would be a good station substitute. However, that should be level 3. Level 1 is nothing ... the fleet exists. Once a fleet reachs a certain number of members and/or has enough energy credits, they can purchase a room that can be accessed at Earth Space Dock (just a turbolift that leads to you fleet's headquaters). A simple room, but can be only be accessed by your fleet. Level 3 would be the purchase and/or achieved the number of required members to have a Jupitor class vessel stationed in a nebula (probably B-Tran would be not be an option though). You could beam onto the ship, but the ship is inactive and remains as an outpost. Level 4 would be a planetary base. A simple base like Memory Alpha with minimal defence grid, but better than one Juptier class. Level 5 would be a starbase (varients in appearence would be K-7, 39, Captain's Table type of stations). This starbase would orbit a planet, planetoid, destroyed planet/planetoid, or would be located in asteroid field/belt. The station would have greater defences than both a Jupter class and a planetary base. Whether or not is comes with a Transwarp, is able to eventually have a transwarp, or will never have a transwarp is upto Cryptic. Trust me, I did not think of this on my own. If it wasn't for your original idea ... never would have thought of it.

As for defences. The Flagship, Base, or Starbase would be under attack by a random named race of the star cluster. Level 3 fleets (Jupiter flagship) will face Commander level enemies, Level 4 (base) will face Captain Level Enemies, Level 5 (Starbase) will face RA level enemies. However, with the level cap boost of Season 2, it might just be Level 3=LA, Level 4=UA, and Level 5=VA. Whether the Jupiter flagship will move during the combat is upto Cryptic. Level 1 fleets will not have a place to protect and Level 2 fleet's are protected by ESD itself (which will not be under attack ... unless Cryptic chooses so).

As for minigames. Maybe Dabo, but possible no gold-lat is involved and no credits are gained or lost ... a practice game of fun perhaps. Maybe the number of games increases per fleet level?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-18-2010, 04:54 AM
a fleet flagship would be good for a fleet vs fleet battle if they make them(KLNG fleet attacks FED fleet, or FED vs FED wargames and KLNG vs KLNG wargames), along with fleet actions
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-18-2010, 08:04 AM
bump, come on people post and say what you think
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
i dont see it.

there isnt that dynamic in sector space or system space that gives the expanse that you would need. if their maps were larger like in Eve online then i wouldnt see an issue with "space available" to set a base up with. but then you have to have all this new artwork, fx and coding goin on......which i really dont see them ever putting time into until the end of next year.

then you have to have the bases. There arent player owned or controlled structures (POS) in this game and cannot recall the Devs ever saying there will be either. Again, like in Eve Online there stations you can buy and control and big ones you can co-habitate but the size of those is something on the scale of starbases and K-7 stations to half that size..........just dont see the space in game or ever being in game in the near future.

I do think it would be cool to have a fleet structure to dock in or at but this game is still to new and has yet to expand to that size of player base and "game-engine" design.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
i dont see it.

there isnt that dynamic in sector space or system space that gives the expanse that you would need. if their maps were larger like in Eve online then i wouldnt see an issue with "space available" to set a base up with. but then you have to have all this new artwork, fx and coding goin on......which i really dont see them ever putting time into until the end of next year.

then you have to have the bases. There arent player owned or controlled structures (POS) in this game and cannot recall the Devs ever saying there will be either. Again, like in Eve Online there stations you can buy and control and big ones you can co-habitate but the size of those is something on the scale of starbases and K-7 stations to half that size..........just dont see the space in game or ever being in game in the near future.

I do think it would be cool to have a fleet structure to dock in or at but this game is still to new and has yet to expand to that size of player base and "game-engine" design.
the bases wouldnt be in sector space, they would be in a star cluster of the admirals choice, but there wouldnt be a planet on the map showing where the base is, there would be a option to warp to the base once you are in the cluster( the option would be like the continue mission one