Lt. Commander
# 11
07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I may have some pretty pictures but, ultimately, a better idea is a better idea.

I think ships being finite might be realistic (but certainly not very fun for many players).

I am certainly an advocate of higher stakes in the game (and supported the game's Death Penalty being universal as originally intended).

Anyways, I think you ideas have a great deal of merit (as I'm leaning toward territory control via PvE with the Voyage Home Proposal thread).

Let's see you ideas get polished up a bit and fleshed out.

My thread has the benefit of the community working together to problem solve for weeks (if not months).

More ideas out there can't be a bad thing. A thriving marketplace of ideas will only benefit everyone as the developers have more to work from (and possible more to inspire them to come up with something better).

So, while I feel the OP is underdeveloped at the moment, I support it - if only to bring more diversity to the game and the ideas available to developers.

Flesh this thread out ThetaNine. Competition of ideas is paramount: whether it improves one side or the other or leads to something new altogether.
Yes sir I'd like to expound upon what I've started and at the same time I'd like to hear what others in the community have to say in the matter. I'm by no means an authority on game mechanics; I only have a background in roleplaying games (dnd, d20, etc) but I will put forth my best effort.

Once I have some more specifics down perhaps you yourself could toss your thoughts and ideas in. God knows my true intent is to make this thing better for everyone concerned. Thanks for the words of support.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I wasn't trying to trash your idea btw. Just clearing that up.

But something close to these ideas is in Guild Wars Factions. Not exactly but sort of a springboard of seeing these kinds of ideas in action. Because of this thread and Darren's, I ended up playing some GW Factions today after many months of not playing it.

I think if we can take the best of all the ideas on this, it would be a very great addition if the devs do it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
I wasn't trying to trash your idea btw. Just clearing that up.

But something close to these ideas is in Guild Wars Factions. Not exactly but sort of a springboard of seeing these kinds of ideas in action. Because of this thread and Darren's, I ended up playing some GW Factions today after many months of not playing it.

I think if we can take the best of all the ideas on this, it would be a very great addition if the devs do it.
I've started writing up a more detailed version of this just as Darren asked me to do. I'm going to try and have it done in the next few days here. In the mean time, anything we can do to get the devs thinking harder on this is the best step in getting it implemented into the game, so everyone's input is appreciated on both sides of the coin.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-18-2010, 09:05 PM
For those wondering. "E pluribus unum" is perhaps the best reason to have several, well-fleshed out ideas going.

Out of many, one - it's a good motto.