Lt. Commander
So I love the game and the concept and on the whole most of it is great... but the one thing that I canít enjoy at the moment is ground combat. Compared to every other game Iíve ever played both MMO and not it doesn't take this long to kill a single enemy or group of enemies. Four or five hits max... it's all it needs. Compensate by putting more in, just make them die quicker please because it's so dull trying to kill the same group who heal and whatever else for so long during a small part of a mission.

In conjunction with this, auto fire for ground combat? Why don't we have it?

Crypic you've got a lot right and the new additions sound exciting and I was so impressed with the Beta I got a lifetime sub... but please, please, please sort out ground combat to make it less dull, quicker to kill enemies and with auto fire.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with you somewhat; I tend to prefer ground combat to space combat however. I do think health amounts should be reduced. Our defensive strength should be in our personal shields - drain that, and it shouldn't take more than 1-2 shots to down somebody. Hell, even the Borg go down in one shot when their shields haven't adapted in canon. So yeah, you can make it take a whole bunch of shots to bring down someone's shields, but once they're fully down, that person should be pretty much helpless.

As for ground auto-fire: uh, we already have it and I use it. Dunno what you're talking about there. You just have to enable it in the options menu.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Well one thing I would like to see is attack ranges being longer and making Sniper Rifles really Sniper Rifles. So I can attack from a hilltop and sniper NPCs and have them duck for cover or them using defensive gear like Cover Shields would be a plus too.

In short, the AI being harder to kill not because of more HPs and stronger attacks, but because they are smarter and using tactics.

Also buildings we can actually enter to take cover would be interesting as well. Not these big blocks that are "buildings".
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-21-2010, 03:58 AM
The ground game is painfully mediocre... so much so that I almost wish it were worse, so that the devs would have more reason to change it. In my opinion, the whole thing needs to be thrown out and revamped from the ground up; thoroughly improved and made as deep and engaging as space combat.

The only interesting thing ground combat has is the Expose/Exploit system, and its rather one-dimensional with too much reliance placed on it. Spam as many Expose attacks as possible and then Exploit attack, that's all there is to it.

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but changing ground combat into a sort of hybrid FPS would be enjoyable. I've also heard people suggest an "over-the-shoulder, take cover" style, like Azurian suggests.. Sniper rifles being real sniper rifles, being able to duck inside buildings, fire from behind crates-- cover would be one's primary means of defense, and one wouldn't survive long in the open.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-21-2010, 04:00 AM
i really like ground combat but man whats with all the weapons malfunctions and enemy squads being traped in unaccesable buildings?
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Refelian View Post
So I love the game and the concept and on the whole most of it is great... but the one thing that I canít enjoy at the moment is ground combat. Compared to every other game Iíve ever played both MMO and not it doesn't take this long to kill a single enemy or group of enemies. Four or five hits max... it's all it needs. Compensate by putting more in, just make them die quicker please because it's so dull trying to kill the same group who heal and whatever else for so long during a small part of a mission.

In conjunction with this, auto fire for ground combat? Why don't we have it?

Crypic you've got a lot right and the new additions sound exciting and I was so impressed with the Beta I got a lifetime sub... but please, please, please sort out ground combat to make it less dull, quicker to kill enemies and with auto fire.

Thanks!
alternativly you could take the time to build your away team with good equipment . skills and traits , take time to learn what works and what dosent and generally use your mind , my boffs do kill things in 4-5 hits because i did this currently
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Ground combat is fun but could use a revamp or substantial improvement. My feeling is that it feels too "indirect" you are just pushing buttons on a toolbar and clicking to select your target. While that's not unusual for an MMO, I guess I'd like a little bit more of a first person shooter method of ground combat gameplay, or something closer to how it was done in Elite Force / Elite Force 2. It felt more first person and more direct, like you were taking a personal and active role in the firefight. It doesn't have to be the same, but I wouldn't mind a bit of a move in that direction.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-11-2010, 06:32 AM
While I agree the ground combat defentily needs a revamp, some of the ideas in this thread are a little scary. the idea of making the game into first person shooter (gag, I HATE FPS), or a one-two death, is horrifying.

For me a a First person shooter would really slaughter the whole role-playing and imersion capability of the game, not to mention the capability of being in command of the subordinate npcs we bring into the field on solo missions. Alot of the combat tactics of ST:O and most other MMOs are strat based, your group works as a team in a startegy that is proven to work. The nightmare of trying to manage a group of first person shooters would really slaughter capability of designing steats that I hope to one day see in the endgame content of ST:O not to mention the poor fleet leader who would have to succesfully manage a large fleet of players.

The problem I see of a one or two shot death system it would, is again at end game content, someone getting a little to efficent and pulls threat (and from all indications threat is defentily a real part of STO) it would slaughter any future healer activity and make it a utter nightmare for a tank to regain threat, not to mention result in a very a bad fleet action if your group wasn't perfect. The modification to end game shields would have to be adjusted terribly to compensate for the player having no life, and armor would also have to be adjusted to make it so that people wouldn't die so quickly via resistance.

So PLEASE devolpers don't go those two approches....

Sry about being so negative in this thread... but *shiver* scary ideas in this thread!