Lt. Commander
# 81
07-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
posting things like this is the only 100% guaranteed method to get devs to stop posting
If you never rub their noses in it, they will never learn. Seems like you're rather new to the MMO world.

On a more serious note: STO will always be around more or less. But it's too late to jack the game up for the general MMO market. STO has been weighed and tested by a lot of people and the majority already ditched it. This is just another Warhammer Online/Age of Conan game. They don't excel but they'll stick around for a while as more or less "background" MMOs.

Mistake the devs make for STO? For starters they cater way too much to one faction and telling the other faction pretty much to f-off. Not a smart way of dealing with things. Making promises that a certain patch will have nearly all of the content for a certain faction and then screwing themselves by doing it otherwise isn't smart at all. Tabula Rasa should be used as a learning stage for that.

For those of you looking for a new/future MMO to play, I'd say check out Earthrise and SWTOR. No promises they'll be the golden grail but let's just face it, can't be much worse then STO now can it?
Lt. Commander
# 82
07-25-2010, 05:25 AM
People seems to forget that Cryptic only had 1 year to develop this game where other companies have 2-6 years to develop a game and the fact that the KDF was designed as a PvP faction while the Federation was a mixture of both from way before closed beta.

Considering the time they had to develop this game and the fact that it has been live for almost 6 months, they have gotten a long way and got allot of new content into the game.

I feel that Season 2 is only the beginning of new content for KDF and that more and more stuff will be added.
Lt. Commander
# 83
07-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Enterprise-D

With all due respect...as has been pointed out many, many times...

The "Klingon faction was originally designed to be a PvP faction" mantra is a myth.

The Klingon faction did not start out that way....now...during the Beta it became that, and to be quite candid, there were a number of Klingon players who left the game over this very issue.

PvP is an important part of the Klingon play style...but it is not the reason why the faction exists. It was supposed to be much more than that.
Lt. Commander
# 84
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
People seems to forget that Cryptic only had 1 year to develop this game where other companies have 2-6 years to develop a game and the fact that the KDF was designed as a PvP faction while the Federation was a mixture of both from way before closed beta.

Considering the time they had to develop this game and the fact that it has been live for almost 6 months, they have gotten a long way and got allot of new content into the game.

I feel that Season 2 is only the beginning of new content for KDF and that more and more stuff will be added.
That statement affects the player base ZERO. It wasn't our call on when to release it. They did it for the bonus and such. And they touted the engine was perfect so there was no need for the 3-5 years to build the engine. That being said, if it took 1 year for for the game, 6 months of that being to build the interfaces, and 6 months for the feds, why didn't the klinks get fixed in the last 6 months since release?
Lt. Commander
# 85
07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
People seems to forget that Cryptic only had 1 year to develop this game where other companies have 2-6 years
This is not a valid statement. Cryptic released the game when they did in order to get a 2 million dollar bonus from Atari for releasing it "early."
Lt. Commander
# 86
07-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creovex View Post
That statement affects the player base ZERO. It wasn't our call on when to release it. They did it for the bonus and such. And they touted the engine was perfect so there was no need for the 3-5 years to build the engine. That being said, if it took 1 year for for the game, 6 months of that being to build the interfaces, and 6 months for the feds, why didn't the klinks get fixed in the last 6 months since release?
You seem to forget that the 1 year deadline was set by CBS and not Cryptic.

The devs has a few times said that if they could, they would had waited with the launch until all the content they wanted in the game from the start to be there.

At least that is what was said in the forum and IRC chat during closed/open beta.

The last 6 months has gone to adding more content that everyone is screaming for, fix bugs and to add some of the stuff they wanted to add before launch that got left out because they didn't have time to finish them.

And also their team is allot smaller now then what it was during development and closed/open beta...all MMO companies downsize the development team of a game as soon as it is released to the public so that they can put the extra work force to start on a new game or just to cut down on expenses to pay for the huge server farms that are needed to run a MMO server.

MMO is a game type that never stops getting developed unlike all the single player games that most people play. Look at Lineage2 and WoW, online for more than 6 years and new content and huge expansions are still being developed and added to the game.
Take Lineage2 for example, compare the content it had on launch with the content that is in the game now and the differences are insane. At first the level cap was 20 and then become 40 in the 2nd expansion, players spent months to grind up to 40 ...now it takes 1-2 days to hit 40 and the level cap is 85 that can take you over a year of casual game play to reach.

Give Cryptic some time and STO will be a huge game.
For me the Feds just started to get the content that they should have had from day one and that is non-combat missions, because in the shows they mostly used diplomacy to deal with disputes and used violence as a last resort and in most cases only if they where attacked 1st.
Playing a Fed up until now has been like playing a Klingon...oh no they are in our way, what do we do? kill them all, give them no warning and no request to leave the system.

As a lifer, I don't care if I have to wait another year before all the content that I wish was in the game gets added...heck my highest level character is Captain 6 at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 87
07-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyto View Post
This is not a valid statement. Cryptic released the game when they did in order to get a 2 million dollar bonus from Atari for releasing it "early."
News flash: Pretty much every commercial game contract has an early release bonus built into it.
Lt. Commander
# 88
07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
You seem to forget that the 1 year deadline was set by CBS and not Cryptic.
Wrong, it had nothing to do with CBS, and everything to do with Atari; on top of that they had almost two years to develop the game not one. The fact that it was two years still doesn't help Cryptic much because the typical development period for a solid MMO title is absolutely no less than three.

Quote:
The last 6 months has gone to adding more content that everyone is screaming for, fix bugs and to add some of the stuff they wanted to add before launch that got left out because they didn't have time to finish them.
It isn't so much added content that people are screaming for as it is the inclusion of content that was originally planned to be there in the first place (a perfect example is the level cap, which was originally stated to be Rear Admiral/Brigadier General 10; not 5).

Yes they are making bug fixes and doing a little extra through the C-Store, but they have a long way to go for this game to be up to the levels that people were expecting, and chances are that by the time that that happens other MMO titles will have been released or be on the horizon (SW:tOR; WoW: Cataclysm; World of Darkness; etc....)

Quote:
And also their team is allot smaller now then what it was during development and closed/open beta...all MMO companies downsize the development team of a game as soon as it is released to the public so that they can put the extra work force to start on a new game or just to cut down on expenses to pay for the huge server farms that are needed to run a MMO server.
This is true, but it is also another source of anger from the fans as they find the fact that Cryptic has manpower that is being used on other games (the 3rd MMO title that is and has been under development by Cryptic) while this game remains in its current state to be a slap in the face.

Quote:
MMO is a game type that never stops getting developed unlike all the single player games that most people play. Look at Lineage2 and WoW, online for more than 6 years and new content and huge expansions are still being developed and added to the game.
Take Lineage2 for example, compare the content it had on launch with the content that is in the game now and the differences are insane. At first the level cap was 20 and then become 40 in the 2nd expansion, players spent months to grind up to 40 ...now it takes 1-2 days to hit 40 and the level cap is 85 that can take you over a year of casual game play to reach.
Absolutely true, but you have to remember that companies have to remain positive on the balance sheets and if titles keep on losing paying subscriptions then there is a point where the owners will pull the plug and shut it down (take Tabula Rasa for example, which was a heavily hyped title with about six years development time that shut down a little over a year after launch).

Quote:
Give Cryptic some time and STO will be a huge game.
For me the Feds just started to get the content that they should have had from day one and that is non-combat missions, because in the shows they mostly used diplomacy to deal with disputes and used violence as a last resort and in most cases only if they where attacked 1st.
That goes right back to what I said up top where they have been including content that they originally planned to have in there in the first place; they have been and will continue to be playing catch up for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Playing a Fed up until now has been like playing a Klingon...oh no they are in our way, what do we do? kill them all, give them no warning and no request to leave the system.

Quote:
As a lifer, I don't care if I have to wait another year before all the content that I wish was in the game gets added...heck my highest level character is Captain 6 at the moment.
I too am a lifetime subscriber and while I think this game will be in a much better state in a year, I don't see the MMO gamers waiting for this game to come around. Instead I see those gamers going to other games that are on the horizon instead of giving a company that has burned them a second or third chance.

I want to be wrong with this, I really do but I just don't see this game achieving the numbers that it could have if it been kept in the oven another year or two.