Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 How about a plot?
07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey whats the plot of STO? Does anyone know?

Isn't there some kind of war going on? How come the Federation hasn't been attacked yet? Not a single Federation world has fallen to the Klingons. The Romulans are just hanging out. The Borg and the Undine are on vacation I guess. Starbase 24 has apparently been under attack for 5 months straight and neither side has won yet! Nothing ever happens. Players have zero effect on the game universe and no events ever happen for players to participate in.

So lets review: Start toon. Level up toon to RA. Kill noobs in PvP. Try all ships. Try all skills. Try all weapons.

That takes about a month. Maybe 2. Now what? Pay 15 bucks a month to repeat this process a bunch of times? Why do we pay for this game to be "Online" when there is absolutely nothing about it that requires other human beings for? Except for PvP theres not even a reason to play with others other than to make it easier to level up. Once you level up there's nothing to do.

Yawn.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
Hey whats the plot of STO? Does anyone know?

Isn't there some kind of war going on? How come the Federation hasn't been attacked yet? Not a single Federation world has fallen to the Klingons. The Romulans are just hanging out. The Borg and the Undine are on vacation I guess. Starbase 24 has apparently been under attack for 5 months straight and neither side has won yet! Nothing ever happens. Players have zero effect on the game universe and no events ever happen for players to participate in.

So lets review: Start toon. Level up toon to RA. Kill noobs in PvP. Try all ships. Try all skills. Try all weapons.

That takes about a month. Maybe 2. Now what? Pay 15 bucks a month to repeat this process a bunch of times? Why do we pay for this game to be "Online" when there is absolutely nothing about it that requires other human beings for? Except for PvP theres not even a reason to play with others other than to make it easier to level up. Once you level up there's nothing to do.

Yawn.
Read the Timeline before claiming that the federation has not yet been attacked by the Empire.
Furthermoe, the new Klingon episodes let them attack utopia Planecia.


STO's plot is mainly about the Undine infiltration caused by the I****** 's evil plan
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-25-2010, 04:26 PM
The Klinks can attack Utopia Planetia? SO it's destroyed and we have to build a new shipyard now? Are we rebuilding it on Mars again or is it going to be on a different planet? Do players have to defend it because Im sure the Klink players will want to take it out before it becomes operational.

I dunno if you can tell what Im getting at with this conversation but I was being a bit sarcastic with the first post. Im asking for a plot. Not a mission that I can do 100 times in a row with different characters and have nothing every actually be accomplished.

Im talking about having gameplay where the players control the outcome of events instead of mindlessly doing the same missions over and over. I dont understand the concept of having an online game with no online content. With the exception of PvP why do you need to play STO "online" at all? I definitely dont understand why it costs 15 dollars a month.

Other games are either free online or the produce online only content that provides players with a constantly updating and unique experience. One of my favorite online MMOs will often have "invasions" where the equivilent of their "dev team" will take control of enemies and lead armies of NPCs against the normally safe and unsuspecting player towns. They run in and start slaughtering people with incredibly strong units and the players online at the time are forced to react. We have to coordinate a defense, heal the dead and wounded, and push the invaders out of town. FInally you have to kill the Gamemasters' Toons which are incredibly powerful and require teamwork to bring down.

The invasions happen randomly and when they occur they are talked about for weeks afterwards. Only VERY high level characters can even stand a chance against the Gamemasters.

Some people RP their toons as "evil" or as a member of a faction that might be attacking the towns. They can join in and actually HELP the Gamemasters and the GMs will take them off the target list. This would be like if the Devs played Klingon ships and invaded the Federation one random night with 500 ships under their command! Klink players could join the Klingon attack fleet and Federation players would have to scramble to defend our territory.

Oh and we would actually be able to LOSE territory. For instance if the Klinks took the space around say, Andoria, then they would be able to land ground troops and capture strategic points. If they do that; they win the Planet and it transfers to Klingon control. Destroyed ships could then respawn there instead of Klink space.

These are basic ideas which would make the game, youknow, interesting. Instead of kill, gain levels, max out levels, start new toon. Im already bored and I dont understand why I need to pay 60 bucks for the game and then 15 a month? I already beat the game. I reached RA and accomplished all the PvE missions. What else is there to do? PvP? Most games allow PvP online for free. STO has nothing worthy of a monthly subscription.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
I dunno if you can tell what Im getting at with this conversation but I was being a bit sarcastic with the first post. Im asking for a plot. Not a mission that I can do 100 times in a row with different characters and have nothing every actually be accomplished.
MMORPGs do not have environment changing content.

Quote:
Im talking about having gameplay where the players control the outcome of events instead of mindlessly doing the same missions over and over.
Then you need to look for a different style of game. MMORPGs do not have that kind of content.

Quote:
I dont understand the concept of having an online game with no online content.
Wikipedia Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playign Games ... it'll explain it better than we can.

Quote:
Other games are either free online or the produce online only content that provides players with a constantly updating and unique experience.
Most MMORPGs use a subscription model. You seem to think this game is something else.

Quote:
One of my favorite online MMOs will often have "invasions" where the equivilent of their "dev team" will take control of enemies and lead armies of NPCs against the normally safe and unsuspecting player towns. They run in and start slaughtering people with incredibly strong units and the players online at the time are forced to react. We have to coordinate a defense, heal the dead and wounded, and push the invaders out of town. FInally you have to kill the Gamemasters' Toons which are incredibly powerful and require teamwork to bring down.
Did you say units? I think we're finally getting to the bottom of this. You're looking to play an RTS. Not an MMORPG. Different style of game altogether.


Quote:
These are basic ideas which would make the game, youknow, interesting. Instead of kill, gain levels, max out levels, start new toon.
Again, there was a disconnect. Somewhere along the way you started to think of this game as something it isn't. MMORPGs are based on the model of kill, gain levels, max levels, raid or roll an alt. You should definitely wikipedia this. It will explain it very clearly.

Quote:
Most games allow PvP online for free.
None of my XBox games allow for online PVP that's FREE. I have to pay a monthly sub to XBox live for that.

Quote:
STO has nothing worthy of a monthly subscription.
It certainly doesn't have units. That's for sure. Starcraft II finally launched didn't it? That might be more your style. Or Huxley, if you want some skill challenge along the way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
MMORPGs do not have environment changing content.

Not yet, but its leaning that way. Especially with Guild Wars 2.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
Not yet, but its leaning that way. Especially with Guild Wars 2.
Well they do have environment changing content.
Thats called phasing.
II know only two MMORPS using that technique though: WoW and Hellgate.
I don't know about the other MMORPGs like LOTR or whatever is out there.

Well now regarding those games: Hellgate failed, the company went bankrupt (Some of their devs are working for cryptic now though. At least thats what rumors say...)
And well WoW...Blizzard, a company with 10 times the devs Cryptic has and about 100 times cryptics money.

Furthermore I have to note: BOTH games did not have phasing from start.
Hellgate implemented it about two months after its launch, WoW got it a year or two later.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Im very familiar with what an MMORPG is having played them for over 10 years.

What about STO involves Role Playing in your experience?

Calling STO a role playing game is like calling Diablo a role playing game. I love diablo, but as I recall theres no interaction within the storyline which is the point of a roleplaying game. RPGs are a "choose your own adventure" game. You immerse yourself in the character and try to think as they would think. You make decisions and those decisions effect future situations and eventually the outcome of the game.

Games use a subscription model when there is a need for it. Starcraft and Diablo don't require subscriptions because there is no content beyond the game itself and Pvp. You complete the single player campaign. It's the exact same for every character class; every time you play it. After you are done you can fight other players. Diablo is successful because of the astounding variety in the ways in which you can equip and train your characters and because of the dedication required to achieve high levels and acquire high end items.

Starcraft was successful because of the incredible balance among the 3 races yet they still retained unique attributes and catered to different player styles. It had simple commands, it was fun to play and it was free online.

STO doesn't seem to understand what it wants to be as a game. It has no beginning or end. All the missions don't contribute anything to the overall storyline. Take Diablo. Great storyline. It has a beginning and an end. You search for Diablo. Track him down, epic battle, kill him, the end. What did we do in STO? Well I advanced in rank to RA but I really had zero effect upon the galaxy. All the wars are still happening; yet I can't participate in them. There's exploring to do; but I can't find any new places. There's science stuff to do but we can't exactly develop new items or learn new things.

Xbox is 50 bucks a year and allows ALL games. STO is 180 dollars per year and is one game.

In regards to me using the term "units" I think you aren't understanding what I was talking about. Unit is just a generic term I used to avoid describing the other game in detail because it's irrelevant. If it helps, Imagine the Devs leading a fleet of 300 Klingon SHIPS (not units) in which the ships (not units) being flown by the Devs are experimental ships that players dont have access to. Obviously they will unfairly strong and require teams of Fed players to destroy them. Now that would be fun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
Im very familiar with what an MMORPG is having played them for over 10 years.

What about STO involves Role Playing in your experience?

Calling STO a role playing game is like calling Diablo a role playing game. I love diablo, but as I recall theres no interaction within the storyline which is the point of a roleplaying game. RPGs are a "choose your own adventure" game. You immerse yourself in the character and try to think as they would think. You make decisions and those decisions effect future situations and eventually the outcome of the game.

Games use a subscription model when there is a need for it. Starcraft and Diablo don't require subscriptions because there is no content beyond the game itself and Pvp. You complete the single player campaign. It's the exact same for every character class; every time you play it. After you are done you can fight other players. Diablo is successful because of the astounding variety in the ways in which you can equip and train your characters and because of the dedication required to achieve high levels and acquire high end items.

Starcraft was successful because of the incredible balance among the 3 races yet they still retained unique attributes and catered to different player styles. It had simple commands, it was fun to play and it was free online.

STO doesn't seem to understand what it wants to be as a game. It has no beginning or end. All the missions don't contribute anything to the overall storyline. Take Diablo. Great storyline. It has a beginning and an end. You search for Diablo. Track him down, epic battle, kill him, the end. What did we do in STO? Well I advanced in rank to RA but I really had zero effect upon the galaxy. All the wars are still happening; yet I can't participate in them. There's exploring to do; but I can't find any new places. There's science stuff to do but we can't exactly develop new items or learn new things.

Xbox is 50 bucks a year and allows ALL games. STO is 180 dollars per year and is one game.

In regards to me using the term "units" I think you aren't understanding what I was talking about. Unit is just a generic term I used to avoid describing the other game in detail because it's irrelevant. If it helps, Imagine the Devs leading a fleet of 300 Klingon SHIPS (not units) in which the ships (not units) being flown by the Devs are experimental ships that players dont have access to. Obviously they will unfairly strong and require teams of Fed players to destroy them. Now that would be fun.
Again, you misunderstood the term MMORPG
Roleplaying mostly refers to the fact that you are playing the role of your character and SHOULd do that while interacting with other PLAYERS too. Unfortunately most players don't do that.
There is some decisionmaking in the new season 2 Missions btw...
Also: Look at it like that:
You are a fed, you decide to Wipe out a planet --> so fed would throw you into prision.
Resulting in the game ending for you.
Furthermore, other players would like to visit that place too, because of you they can't anymore, which could ruin the game for them.
or the other way around: You have just destroyed Quo'Nos the Klingon homeworld, ok now lingons start there get all their quests there and so on - but now its no longer there - what shall they do now? They have lost the war, their homeworld, everything. The war with the Federation would be over, as the impact on the Empire would be too severe, even more than the loss of the Romulan homeworld to the Romulans.

WoW too is an RPG, yet you have no direct impact on the story line, there is phasing, yes but thats all.


The thing with the devs playing Enemies has already happened during an event btw.
It was pretty funny shooting at all those Overpowered Borg ships flown by the devs lol.

The game you are requesting is meant to be a single player game. But this a Massive MULTIPLAYER Online Game.
Sorry but to me you are asking for a game like Arcanum or The Elder Scrolls [insert whatever number you like]
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
Im very familiar with what an MMORPG is having played them for over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
....Insert ramblings argument about how Starcraft and Diablo are better then STO....

Seeing as how neither of those games are MMOS, and none of your arguments involve MMOS. I'm fairly confident that you're still missing the point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I think the OP has some good points, and while some of his points will not work in this particular MMOG, I do not understand why everyone on these forums are quick to immediately shoot down good ideas from people who are upset by the lack of structure in this game. For example the OP talked about random events occurring like invasions, look at City of Heroes it has random events occurring as did SWG, like the invasions of the capitals and what not, these types of things here in STO would be a positive change, also not a bad idea to have a sector or two that can change control depending on fleet actions or PvP (I know the Devs have thought about this idea), at least we would get a feel of the war going positive or negative for our respected faction. I think this game can be great for all players but right now I have to agree it is still very bland after 6 months. I however will continue to play and give constructive feedback as often as possible.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 AM.