Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
12-06-2008, 11:23 AM
My vote is in for STO as well. Good luck Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
#voted for Sto..

Let star-trek-online win!!
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqrogroove View Post
Sorry Cryptic, but at this time STO is still vaporware to me. It's fun to chat about once in a while and maybe re-watch the trailer every couple of months. But we are well into the 21st century and for such a large project to have PR consisting of a forum, a few screenshots every 6 weeks, and "The game is expected to enter public beta testing in 2006 and to launch by early 2007" is not inspiring of trust.
You're blaming Cryptic for beta and release announcements that Perpetual Entertainment couldn't meet? They are two completely different companies and two completely different STO projects. This STO that Cryptic is working on has absolutely nothing to do with PE's STO project so please don't confuse the two.

As for the concerns about Blizzard taking the prize away from Cryptic I wouldn't be so sure. As a long time MMORPG.com member I can tell you that the community over there is very anti-WoW. Most view WoW's impact on the MMO industry as a very negative influence as they blame it for all that is wrong with MMO's today. I personally think that Cryptic has a strong chance of winning.

As for voting for STO I did that the day the poll went up long before this announcement.

Bren
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenelael View Post
You're blaming Cryptic for beta and release announcements that Perpetual Entertainment couldn't meet?
These are still the current beta and release schedule on the Star Trek website. This can't be ignored. There is no one to blame. I just don't believe STO has moved beyond the trailer.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Quote:
You're blaming Cryptic for beta and release announcements that Perpetual Entertainment couldn't meet? They are two completely different companies and two completely different STO projects. This STO that Cryptic is working on has absolutely nothing to do with PE's STO project so please don't confuse the two.

As for the concerns about Blizzard taking the prize away from Cryptic I wouldn't be so sure. As a long time MMORPG.com member I can tell you that the community over there is very anti-WoW. Most view WoW's impact on the MMO industry as a very negative influence as they blame it for all that is wrong with MMO's today. I personally think that Cryptic has a strong chance of winning.

As for voting for STO I did that the day the poll went up long before this announcement.

Bren
Well, even given what you said about anti-WoW sentiment (which is nice to hear, by the way. Glad at least some communites on the Internet have taste and common sense.), that helps the STO cause, but I still believe it won't be ranked as the highest newsworthy announcement. To me, Tabula Rasa closing would have been bigger than Blizzard/Activision if it wasn't for the sheer numbers of players for each company. So if you cancel out their chance to win, I'm guessing it's going to go to TR.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Quote:
These are still the current beta and release schedule on the Star Trek website. This can't be ignored. There is no one to blame. I just don't believe STO has moved beyond the trailer.
Why? Just because you haven't seen any gameplay besides the trailer? It's not like they're going to show us each and every little step of progress since then. It's at the discretion of Cryptic to let us know how far they are in the game whenever they feel like it, if at all. Don't assume absence of evidence implies absence of progress (If you're reading this, sorry for paraphrasing you, Illithi )
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Again this is a source that Cryptic has no direct control over and has nothing to do with this project. Hell that site hasn't been updated as far as STO is concerned since about 2005. They didn't even update it for PE and are continuing to ignore Cryptic in the same way. StarTrek.com is the absolute last place anyone should go for info on this game, period.

Bren
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Again this is a source that Cryptic has no direct control over
Having no control over the Star Trek website tells me there is a bad relationship with the franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
Don't assume absence of evidence implies absence of progress
It was a valid assumption when PE was involved. I'm still sad about that. Shouldn't we expect more out of Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Having no control over the Star Trek website tells me there is a bad relationship with the franchise.
No, it's just a very poorly run website and has been for some time now. Cryptic's relationship with the IP owners is just fine or they wouldn't have the rights to make the game in the first place. You read too much into these things.

Bren