Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I think Cryptic would have recieved far less backlash and far less general grumpiness about the C-Store, had they approached it differently.

"How should they have done it then, Mr. Smartypants?" you may ask.

Well, given that:

Captain Matt Schwab presents:

How the C-Store SHOULD HAVE WORKED!

1. Canon is core.

What does this mean? Simply put, if it is canon, then it wouldn't have gone into the C-Store. Let's talk ships for example: I would have made all the canon ships available in the game, in their default appearance and configuration. Period, no exceptions. Then, I would have made the "Cryptic" ships and any alternate variations like Galaxy X purchaseable from the C-Store. So, from the base game, you would have all the canon ships, but in terms of customization, you wouldn't be able to change much except for colors, patterns, window types, etc. If you want to cutomize your ship further, you would then go to the C-Store, purchase the ship(s) that fit the ship type you fly, and then you would have the ability to kitbash unlocked.

So, for example, the Galaxy class would exist in it's TNG default configuration. To customize it, you would buy either the Celestial or the Envoy (or both if you wanted) which then allows you to change your hull, nacelles, saucer, pylons, etc.

2. Canon is core, Part II.

In terms of uniforms, you would have access to all the canon uniforms from all the series and movies. ENT, TOS, TMP, TWOK, TNG, DS9, VOY, Nemesis. Anything else beyond that, including the Cryptic variations and Mirror Universe uniforms would be purchaseable.

3. Canon is core, Part III.

In terms of equipment (Weapons, Tricorders, etc.) all the skins used would make your equipment look canon. you would have access to 5 eras of equipment to choose from. ENT, TOS, TMP/TWOK, TNG and DS9/VOY/TNG Movie. If you want the flashy honkin space guns, then you would purchase a weapon skins pack from the C-Store.

That's it. That is all there is to it. Anything which is canon goes into the game for free. Then, it's up to Cryptic to develop the items which reflect the new era in such a way that it makes people want to purchase them. That satisfies the people who don't feel they should be paying for fan favorites, and it still gives Cryptic a chance to make a profit on people's desires to be unique and customize their avatars!

Thus ends my public service announcement.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
I do have to point out that none of the items thus far are required for you to enjoy the game.
The Series Uniforms and Captain Kirks Enterprise are not required to enjoy a STAR TREK game?

I very much "require" Star Trek things in a Star Trek game to enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
The Series Uniforms and Captain Kirks Enterprise are not required to enjoy a STAR TREK game?

I very much "require" Star Trek things in a Star Trek game to enjoy it.
I was actually referring to gameplay. Nothing released up to this point gives any noticeable advantage over what you can currently get in game.

As a huge Trekkie myself, I would want to have the canon uniforms and ships, some of which, unfortunately, have become micro-transactions. So, I do see where you are coming from that perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomasach View Post
Yes they are... They are all equal and they already posted info about that and they are not required to play the game... Even if you do not believe it.

Okay, how does someone who never uses the C-Store get the Caitian feline instincts and pounce abilities? How about the Pakled dumb luck ability which has a huge game effect on ground PvP (which Klingon's don't even get the option to buy)? What about the Joined Trill Symbiote ability wich gives in game space combat effects? Since you think I'm the one in denial, you tell me how I can get those traits without purchasing them from the nickel & dime store? They're definitely not in the "create a alien race" part of the character creator.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Again "must have" is defined by point of view, I'm a fan, but for me the Galaxy-X and Series Uniforms aren't necessary. For others they are necessary, while I don't agree with Cryptic with how they're handling the C-Store. I can understand why they are doing it, sadly its the monthly people who get the short end of the stick.

But, it is true, nothing in the store affect the game to a breaking point. Yes species in the C-Store get unique traits, but anyone who plays this game can tell you. Traits only go so far.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcurl

Okay, how does someone who never uses the C-Store get the Caitian feline instincts and pounce abilities? How about the Pakled dumb luck ability which has a huge game effect on ground PvP (which Klingon's don't even get the option to buy)? What about the Joined Trill Symbiote ability wich gives in game space combat effects? Since you think I'm the one in denial, you tell me how I can get those traits without purchasing them from the nickel & dime store? They're definitely not in the "create a alien race" part of the character creator.
Efficient Captain is an option for Alien captains however.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I was gonna start a new thread about the massive amounts of WIN that the c-store is... but I saw this and thought I'd just cancel it out with a post:

I LOVE that the c-store is pimpin' gear/services and [abilities]!!! I will continue to buy stuff offa the store to illustrate to the devs how pimp this idea is! As a casual player, this is the kinda stuff I'm looking for, things that won't break the game, but minimize the amounts of time I have to grind/spend away from the fam!

THANKS CRYPTIC!
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
I agree.

The c-store is nice.

just make a comparable in-game way to gain them as well... that is real nice.

then everybodys happy.

*nice.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-28-2010, 02:09 AM
to those who arnt bothered with the c-store..... you should be...

With the new retrofit ships cryptic are pretty much showing the way the games heading.... you want choice you have to buy it via the c-store....

Sure you can acquire more retrofit ships per character via ingame means but to do that takes over a month worth of grinding emblems.... that's not a viable way to get a new ship considering all previous ships could be bought via ingame money...

With such a radical change of ingame item acquisition, you can bet your ass that in the near future if you want something you are gonna have to pay real money for it... which is a load of crap considering thats what our monthly fees (or in my case the large lump sum) pays for... as is the case with most other MMO's
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehee View Post
to those who arnt bothered with the c-store..... you should be........
aren't happy in the doom cloud all by yourself ?

:p