Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
You have a skewed sense of resources, of which time and money are subsets. If something is FREE it means you spent absolutely no resources on it. The closest you can get to free is if some random stranger you've never met before gave you something. The cost in either money or time for extra Retrofit ships is just too high.
As i said i don't put a price on my free time, it'd hardly be free then would it. i'm talking money, cold hard cash, green backs, dollar bills, pounds, cents, lira, rupiah, pieces of eight. do you have to put down a single one of them to get that ship?
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
As i said i don't put a price on my free time, it'd hardly be free then would it. i'm talking money, cold hard cash, green backs, dollar bills, pounds, cents, lira, rupiah, pieces of eight. do you have to put down a single one of them to get that ship?
Yes, virtual ones at least. Its called Opportunity Cost. If we could perfectly equate all resources to one resource, then we would see what the true cost of something is. We already do that, just not perfectly. It doesn't matter if you don't think about your time in dollars (At work, or off work, it makes no difference; you're still spending your time) because there's still a dollar amount that equals that time.

As it stands, the C-Store is the cheaper option, but not everybody (myself included) has the option to work more hours to get the extra spending money. Both $15 and 500 Emblems are outside of my budget, but $3 or whatever the equivalent amount of time/emblems is not.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't see what the problem is. You get one absolutely free when you hit Vice Admiral. The only time it costs anything is if you want the other two, in which case you either use the c-store or grind for it. If you only fly one class of ships (which makes the most sense anyway in terms of skill specs), you'll neither grind nor spend money.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBones View Post
I don't see what the problem is. You get one absolutely free when you hit Vice Admiral. The only time it costs anything is if you want the other two, in which case you either use the c-store or grind for it. If you only fly one class of ships (which makes the most sense anyway in terms of skill specs), you'll neither grind nor spend money.
That assumes everybody plays that particular way, which is a false assumption.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Yes, virtual ones at least. Its called Opportunity Cost. If we could perfectly equate all resources to one resource, then we would see what the true cost of something is. We already do that, just not perfectly. It doesn't matter if you don't think about your time in dollars (At work, or off work, it makes no difference; you're still spending your time) because there's still a dollar amount that equals that time.

As it stands, the C-Store is the cheaper option, but not everybody (myself included) has the option to work more hours to get the extra spending money. Both $15 and 500 Emblems are outside of my budget, but $3 or whatever the equivalent amount of time/emblems is not.
So philosophising about the economics of time aside; No, you don't have to pay any real world money to get it, gotcha.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you for posting your feedback on this issue. However, as this forum is for general discussion of STO, and we have a forum specifically meant for giving feedback on the C-Store and Promotions, I am going to move this thread to the correct forum.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Thank you for posting your feedback on this issue. However, as this forum is for general discussion of STO, and we have a forum specifically meant for giving feedback on the C-Store and Promotions, I am going to move this thread to the correct forum.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Speaking of which, why don't you move the stickied thread in Star Trek Online Discussion about how to buy Cryptic Points to the C-Store forum as well? Seeing as it has to do with the C-Store and Promotions and all. :p
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It was either charging for convenience and having them available also by the free token and the 500 emblem option

or

Having it exclusively to the c-store.

There was a time investment where they'd break even, so the bean counter could look the other way and let players have a free means of earning the vessel.
Actually, the retrofit ships were never meant for the c-store at all. That you can buy an account-wide unlock is just another option ( and a pointless one in my opinion). The Nebula and Excelsior are for the c-store, though there was talk about making them available ingame too.

The retrofit unlock is quite expensive though. If i had unlimited respecs, i might consider the unlock to be worthwhile. And then thereŽs the point of flying the same ship with all toons, how boring. IŽll choose 3 toons to fly these new ships, the rest keep the "old" ones. These 3 ships will cost me nothing and i can farm a gazillion emblems just to "purple out" all my ships, boooo.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
Speaking of which, why don't you move the stickied thread in Star Trek Online Discussion about how to buy Cryptic Points to the C-Store forum as well? Seeing as it has to do with the C-Store and Promotions and all. :p
You moderated the moderator.

FATALITY
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
You moderated the moderator.

FATALITY

FRIENDSHIP! FRIENDSHIP!

(Damn, now I want to go play some MK, lol.)