Lt. Commander
# 1 Great game, great update
07-28-2010, 06:49 AM
I've only been playing for a few days now but I have to say that I'm really enjoying this game. I know a lot of people have been complaining about a lot of things, and while some may have legitimate problems, I think most just like to complain while having no understanding of game development.

The first thing I noticed was the combat and how action oriented it is. I had played WoW before but was quickly bored by the mundane combat system where I pretty much stood there waiting to press another button. I love the ship firing arcs, the necessity of strategic movement in space battles and the fact that I can run and shoot while in ground combat. I really like the special powers my BOs offer and the assortment of possible weapons is very nice as well.

Maneuvering in space is a lot of fun, especially when you are in an area that gives a sense of depth such as a planet with an asteroid field or the debris field from a ship. The backgrounds are great and the planets look like they're right out of the shows. In fact, i often find myself traveling at less that full impulse just so I can swing the camera into a more cinematic view and watch my ship fly (I'm flying the TOS Enterprise model btw).

I know a lot of people have been complaining about ground combat but I find it pretty enjoyable and my fiance likes it better than space combat. Theres something satisfying about setting your guys up and watching them take down waves of enemies leaving me free to take up a flanking position (love the flanking damage btw)

Season 2:

From what I've seen it seems pretty great, I'm into the new mini-games you've added for the anomalies and the ships interiors are awesome. I was walking through my ship and my inner child was squeeing in excitement. I know I read somewhere that you're working on the tech to have people sit in chairs and stuff and I think that would help it feel more like an environment and one that I can see myself hanging out with friends in.

The new ships look awesome from what I've seen and the saucer separation on the Galaxy is really neat. I also really like the fact that I can either buy the ships or earn them in game, I think that is evidence of the fact that you guys do listen to the players and I think its a perfect compromise.

Which brings me to another point, I have to commend you guys for doing such a great job with keeping us updated, answering questions and listening to and implementing our suggestions (demands in the case of certain players). I know some people naturally think the world should cater to them but to me it's amazing that there is such communication between developers and players.

Overall I just wanted to make a thread telling you guys how much I enjoy the game and since there are people complaining so loudly I thought it would be good to start a thread talking about what I think is so good about the game. So far you guys are doing a great job and you should definitely keep it up.

The only suggestions I really have is that you make the TOS Enterprise a skin that can be applied to any ship just so I can keep playing it once I'm past tier 1 ships. I don't even care if it looks that way on other people's computers as long as it looks that way on mine lol.

I also think that working on things like making it so people can sit, adding new emotes, making it so you can order and visibly hold a drink at the bar, I believe things like that will encourage the social aspect of the game.

I also thought it would be useful if the tricorder scan pointed to mission objectives as well as anomalies.

Keep up the good work guys, I look forward to seeing what future updates hold.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Ah a refreshing post by the OP

Your brother doesnt work for cryptic does he?

I think overall you are right....but the wrinkles need to be taken out...after that and we're smooth as a babies bottom...we can talk shop.

Cryptic is doing pretty good though and the hard work is appreciated.

Give em some time and I don't think we'll be too terribly dissapointed. Might even be surprised.....in a good way. Not the bad kind of surprise like when you come home from work and find your daughter with some scrub from up the street playing a questionable game of doct.............nevermind.

The good kind
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Ah a refreshing post by the OP

Your brother doesnt work for cryptic does he?
lol, I was actually expecting this :p

All in all I have faith that Cryptic will continue perfecting the game. This isn't the 1980s where they would program some crappy game over the weekend, slap a licensed sticker on it and wait for the profits.

A game like this represents a significant investment of time and money when you consider, not just the programming, graphics work and logistics but how many suits are tied up in this what with branding, IP, licensing, dealing with CBS etc.

And the fact that developers are active on the boards blows me away.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflux82 View Post
lol, I was actually expecting this :p

All in all I have faith that Cryptic will continue perfecting the game. This isn't the 1980s where they would program some crappy game over the weekend, slap a licensed sticker on it and wait for the profits.

A game like this represents a significant investment of time and money when you consider, not just the programming, graphics work and logistics but how many suits are tied up in this what with branding, IP, licensing, dealing with CBS etc.

And the fact that developers are active on the boards blows me away.
Im afraid I would have to agree............I like you...we can be pals.....look for me and we'll blow stuff up together in the ugliest way possible.

Cheers laddie
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Phasers are charged and torpedoes are primed
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Can I just say that I'm not surprised my thread sank so quickly?
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflux82 View Post
Can I just say that I'm not surprised my thread sank so quickly?
The flames tend to burn down praise threads pretty quick. That is normal at the height of a post release freak out. It was nice to read something that was positive and congratulatory all without one shred of negativity. Conga rats and thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I pretty much agree with what you've said. The game has come a long way since the beta period, and recently has made a great many strides in the right direction.

I must say it is pretty interesting to see a new player's take on the game. I'm glad yours is such a positive one!
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I, too, have to say i was also blown away with how much communication there is between the decision makers at Cryptic and the players. And quality communication! -- often providing useful info. This is the way their type of business should be driven. Vision refined by the stream of continuous discourse with their audience.