Lt. Commander
# 51
07-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Sorry Roach your argument doesn't hold water, you did not refute any klingon pvp advantages I listed, yet insist the feds are fighting on an even keel. How can you consider it an even fight when obvious klingon advantages abound? Surely you don't think being outnumbered negates the klingon advantages I listed?
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
I would be able to PvP more if you stop making me respond to your QQ threads.
Agree - why even ask the question anyway because there are premades and fleet pvp and there will continue to be. What is the point of this thread exactly? What are you proposing?
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-28-2010, 05:22 AM
[quote=KamikazKid]
Quote:
Klingons have a ship with universal bridge officer slots
, which posses the weakest hulls and shields in the game, only have 4 BO slots and when they use the advantage of a ambush attack - have absolutely no shields what so ever for a period of at least 5 seconds.

Quote:
their cruisers can carry heavy cannons
, yes which have a narrow firing arc requiring more manevuering to keep on target and is an weapon that many new fed cruisers can now have as well.

Quote:
they have carriers,
which are pratically useless.

Quote:
and they have cloak.
which the Feds now have access to as well.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned klingons can keep the cloak & carriers, but the other advantages they have definitely make the feds QQ about pvp.
What advantages the weaker hulls or the weaker shields?

The truth of the matter is, you offered no evidence of any advantage that the Klingons have beyond cloaking that would enable them to dominate the Federation in pvp on a regular basis.

Klingons merely know how to play thier vessels very well due to not having any pve up until now.
I have gone up against plenty of very good Federation PvP'ers between T2-T4 and you arguement of Klingon advanatges just doesn't hold water anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I feel that supressive fire will not be a deterant to teams using focus fire tactics for the simple belief that it will just become a boon to continueing to focus fire as a group, except now the target under attack can be effectively "stalled" in a match if the game mechanics put a negative effect in play if you are the focus of suppressive fire and removed as a threat for as long as somebody can continue to shoot at said target.

5 man team could in theory fly in and disable certain ships by supressive fire mechanicisms and then the rest of the team can focus on said "stalled" vessels or focus fire on the weaker ships to eliminate thier effectiveness.
Idly running scenarios in my head leads nme to think supressive fire would only compound the focus fire issue.
Effectively supressive fire could do exactly what is suppossed to do, which in my opinion would not help solve any issues of the pug/premade debate, but just create more and further increase the distance between pug and premie effectiveness in pvp.

Imagine a single AoE BoP that pops-up just to shoot enmass for a "supressive fire effect", effectively stalling a counter attack long enough to allow focused fire from other sources against a virtually crippled foe.

It is 6am here and my mind is just now coming up to speed, so these are just first glance speculations, but in a game with holds, stuns and other CC - shooting someone doesn't need to be one as well.
I see some of your issues, but I think it matters a lot of how the mechanics work. In my view, all that suppressive fire mechanics would cause is a penalty to damage. No slow-downs, no weakening of powers. And the penalty would not scale with the number of attackers. Either you are attacked, or you are not. And it would probably last only for a short amount of time - say for 2 seconds or so.

There could also be powers that tie into the suppression mechanic - some defensive powers could get better when a ship is suppressed. A power like Attack Pattern Omega might also mitigate some or all of the suppression. Some pwoers might grant increasing resistance or defense bonuses the more you are under fire.

Since particularly PuGs often have a hard problem in focusing their fire, such a mechanic could help them more overall than anything else.

I think I'll need to start a thread on this. Or do I? Is it even realistic to assume that cryptic would add such a mechanic to the game?
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank65
This...

Ive been in a lot of matches where we were called "Premade" when in reality it was me and sometimes
1 or 2 members from -GoD- and then some of the other regular PvP klinks and its not that were on vent
or communicating that much we have just flown together so much that we know how each other plays.
This happens to me a lot on our side. We don't go out of our way to completely mincemeat puggers around the clock. If we have a full team or two online, the chances are we are playing against ourselves, or we are going to get a premade to play against.

I've never, ever even seen any sort of anti-premade hating either except recently and its all from the one and same person.
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I see some of your issues, but I think it matters a lot of how the mechanics work. In my view, all that suppressive fire mechanics would cause is a penalty to damage. No slow-downs, no weakening of powers. And the penalty would not scale with the number of attackers. Either you are attacked, or you are not. And it would probably last only for a short amount of time - say for 2 seconds or so.
Not being stackable is a nice touch, as well as a short time-span. Why would it effect dammage output though and not cause extra drain on the shields instead?

Quote:
I think I'll need to start a thread on this. Or do I? Is it even realistic to assume that cryptic would add such a mechanic to the game?
It would hurt nothing to do so and you never know, someone higher up may like the idea when fleshed out more.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done or isn't a feasible concept, just that there is an opportunity, if done wrong, to greatly increase the griefing ability in pvp - which will lead to more qq on the forums, etc.
If done right though, it would add more tactics to the game- which always a good thing in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't say Klingons are overpowered, but there are an awful lot of them that are sci's in BoP's.

They decloak and open fire, hitting you with sensor scan while buffing themselves with dampening field. You hit EPtS, RSF, TSS and try to redistribute shields.

Wham SNB.

You heal your rapidly draining hull and hit RSP.

Wham another SNB, followed by another sensor scan.

Oh and wham SNB again.

Your abilities are now due to come out of cooldown sometime next week, but that doesn't matter because you're dead (or lucky enough to be able to run away).