Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voorhees View Post
Please keep up the good work. I love deep story driven content. I love City of heroes, but what made me mad about that game is the immersion. No offense to Cryptic. I hated the cookie cutter missions. Can you please just make sure all missions and quest is hand done and not generated by a quest generator that some of these games uses.
I agree -- hate 'cookie-cutter' content, and love immersion.

The Episode Mission system sounds intriguing and I hope it is successful. It is good to hear from the writer that they are thinking out-side the box and looking to make STO, a Trek experience, rather than just an MMO with a ST skin.

One thing I am hoping to see fleshed out in the Writing style, is that the Klingons are also written in an 'out-of-the-box' style, rather than just being the 'violent mongol villains'. In an old flight sim game, 'Tie Fighter', the instruction book gave a Background perspective of the SW Empire from the view of a loyal subject -- really painting the SW Alliance as terrorists and Insurgents -- instead of the 'good guy/heroes' image seen in the Films.

I love different perspective Writing, and I hope that STO will not be solely written from a Federation/Star Fleet perspective -- where the Klingons are framed from the View of Starfleet.

Looking forward to the time line episodes as the unfold. Thank you for the interview.

~ Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
Not every Star Trek game was a masterpiece, but that doesn't make all of them bad. The actual story in some of the games was pretty good. Legacy is a good example. Bridge Commander had a decent story, Starfleet Academy had a fun story, etc. So you can't dismiss all the games just because some of them aren't winners.

But that is beside the point.

I do find it interesting that everyone is so happy with the current storyline history additions. Anyone who takes the time to read these histories will discover these ideas, these historical components have already been written, by other writers, in already existing Trek novels. Sure, some key things have been changed here and there so that they didn't have to pay for the license to use the material, but in the end, this history has already been written, just creatively rearranged by this new head writer, but everyone on here, including you, wants to credit this woman for that.

We haven't seen anything that she actually wrote! How do we know if she is a good writer? She hasn't stopped using other people's creative works yet!

I also find it interesting how you bash on every Star Trek writer in existence based on the actions of just a handful of Trek's worst writers. (Early Enterprise writing was bad.) So you are saying that writers like David Gerrold, Dorthy Fontana who have been at it since TOS and continue to write good books, comic books, etc, don't have the skills to write good Trek stories? How about all the Trek novelists out there who wrote the works that Christine is using as the basis for her history. Guess they kinda suck too. And the writers for Voyager, DS9 and TNG obviously must not be good enough either since most of them are still around. Instead, this writer who before coming to Cryptic, never wrote any Trek material and only wrote for a fish wrapper, is better than EVERY other Trek writer in existence, including those who wrote the work that she is basing the history up to 2409 upon.

Smart frojoe. Real smart.

By the time STO launches, I think we'll see just how important it might have been to get an actual Star Trek writer, but by then, the damage will have already been done.
I wasn't saying that all Trek Writers are bad, in fact I didn't say any of the trek writers were bad. I love star trek because of its fantastic writing. But what I was saying is that Veteran doesn't mean good, and the latest works from these writers have not been all that great.

Also, every series of star trek was written by mostly new writers, most books were written with writers that were not involved with the TV shows (so when they started there books, they were new and not veteran) and I bet many of the games were written by studio staff.

As far as not having her own writing on the time line, her task right now isn't really to create new content, why would she when she has a license from paramount and CBS to use anything in the Trek IP. So her task right now is to watch all the shows and movies, play the video games, and read the books. Pick and choose what fits for the direction Cryptic wants to take is, and make sure there arn't any inconsistencies in the story line.

Anyways, I simply don't understand why its so horrible that we have an intelligent, informed, hard working writer, that seems to be dedicated to the IP. I think we can be thankful we have a writer thats more than a fan, and more than a simple writer. she seems to dedicate herself to the project, as seen with all the resurch she's doing, and because she is doing her homework to intamatly aquant herself with star trek, I look foreword to a fresh perspective in the franchise.

Honestly, I think you are making way to big of a deal about this. writers come and go, what matters is the content written.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I actually had the pleasure of meeting Christine at GenCon. Friendly, outgoing, and very bright in my opinion. I'm sure she's both highly valued and well loved around Cryptic Studios. She's also community oriented, if you guys think listening to the fans is important.

They've been living off this stuff in the studio, and writing MMO feasable content is probably becoming second nature around there by now. They didn't just hire some unknown expert in Trek Content for writing content. That would be rediculous to try to fit the game.

I'm also sure that hiring some famous Star Trek fiction content writer to shape the development team was... how would Jack say it..... not in their cards.

Right-on Cryptic, I can't imagine you guys trying to build a Star Trek game by creating the Lore and cramming the game into it. This needs to be content written for an MMO, content created by.... you.

We're in good hands.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if they all walk around in starfleet uniforms (after all, in one of the DS9 episodes, Worf said they were designed to be comfortable in any environment) and have a ships compliment assigned within the studio...
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2004 View Post

Anyways, I simply don't understand why its so horrible that we have an intelligent, informed, hard working writer, that seems to be dedicated to the IP. I think we can be thankful we have a writer thats more than a fan, and more than a simple writer. she seems to dedicate herself to the project, as seen with all the resurch she's doing, and because she is doing her homework to intamatly aquant herself with star trek, I look foreword to a fresh perspective in the franchise.
Did I say it was horrible? No I did not, and I will thank you not to put words in my mouth.

What I have been asking though, since the top of this thread is why Cryptic announced they would be hiring a veteran writer (Las Vegas Convention) and then, turn, do a 180, and hire someone who has never written Trek in their life.

Does not matter if she is hard working or a lazy bum. Does not matter if she is the greatest person on the planet, or the worst. That is not the matter at hand. The matter at hand is Jack made it clear he intended to bring in someone who is familiar with Trek, and has written Trek before, in order to make sure the game would "feel" Trek. Now it seems they have tossed that concern out the window. Makes me wonder what other things about this game are being considered inconsequential and therefore will get tossed to make this game work.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey Christine! Nice to have you on board! I wish you best of luck and inspiration for your work at Cryptics. You're a key factor for a successfull and exciting game experience, I count on you!
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Did I say it was horrible? No I did not, and I will thank you not to put words in my mouth.

What I have been asking though, since the top of this thread is why Cryptic announced they would be hiring a veteran writer (Las Vegas Convention) and then, turn, do a 180, and hire someone who has never written Trek in their life.
That's just straight out false - they didn't turn and hire her... Check your facts. She was already there. Additionally, they didn't offer this writer a lead seat... my guess is Christine or one of the team would still be in charge of content writing. How do you know they haven't hired an expert in the field or two, it's just not famous content writers that you were expecting?

Sounds to me like your just barking this stuff out. I don't see a single thing of relevance in your claim. They're making an MMO not a new series.... Jack didn't say enough to warrant your assumptions. If they didn't take on any writers yet, I'm sure there is still time if they need them.

Quote:
Does not matter if she is hard working or a lazy bum. Does not matter if she is the greatest person on the planet, or the worst. That is not the matter at hand. The matter at hand is Jack made it clear he intended to bring in someone who is familiar with Trek, and has written Trek before, in order to make sure the game would "feel" Trek. Now it seems they have tossed that concern out the window. Makes me wonder what other things about this game are being considered inconsequential and therefore will get tossed to make this game work.
Hmmm... I'm not sure what your getting at, but you just repeated yourself and threw in your solid and lengthy conclusions that this will now not feel like Trek.

So I guess they should have hired you, since I'm certain you have enough zeal to keep this accurate.
Better brush up on your writing skills though.
Lt. Commander
# 38 Thank You
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Through hardships to the stars, great latin phrase. I am glad that we have people that are completely embracing Star Trek working on this game. Without them it would be very difficult to gauge where Cryptic was going with STO. Thank you for hiring people who really want to make a great game and just hiring people who want to throw something out half done.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO_Gilligan View Post
That's just straight out false - they didn't turn and hire her... Check your facts. She was already there. Additionally, they didn't offer this writer a lead seat... my guess is Christine or one of the team would still be in charge of content writing. How do you know they haven't hired an expert in the field or two, it's just not famous content writers that you were expecting?

Sounds to me like your just barking this stuff out. I don't see a single thing of relevance in your claim. They're making an MMO not a new series.... Jack didn't say enough to warrant your assumptions. If they didn't take on any writers yet, I'm sure there is still time if they need them.
Believe what you want. That is your own business. But I was there in Vegas when Jack stated they were planning to bring on a veteran Star Trek writer, and instead it appears that the most critical component, the history of what has happened from 2379 to 2409 i being written by someone who has never written Trek before, and furthermore, who is being lauded on these boards for essentially summarizing the work of other people in novels that already exist.

You can come to your own conclusions, I'll stick with mine.

Quote:
Hmmm... I'm not sure what your getting at, but you just repeated yourself and threw in your solid and lengthy conclusions that this will now not feel like Trek.

So I guess they should have hired you, since I'm certain you have enough zeal to keep this accurate.
Better brush up on your writing skills though.
I never said they should hire me, nor did I ever infer that. I am no more qualified to write Trek than Rick Riley is. But that is the point. If you want to hire a writer that is familiar with a certain medium or source material, generally you don't go outside the medium on a hire when there are writers already available in that medium.

Would you hire Kobe Bryant to write a Broadway play? No, he knows nothing about Broadway.

You don't like my opinion, so be it. Frankly, I don't care. But I am still wondering why it was announced that a veteran Trek writer was being brought in, but instead, we have someone who has never written Trek leading the charge with the most important of the writing elements from a continuity standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Awesome work you are doing for us Christine! I can't wait to experience some of your epic stories for STO. Keep up the good work!