Lt. Commander
I have brought this up before but it seems to have gone unnoticed. The ships scanners in this game are pathetic. We have sattelites in this day an age that put Starfleet sensor scans to shame. I just finished a mission where I had to 'destroy derelict ship" however, I could not see them with my naked eye. So I have been flying around looking for needles in haystacks when really ... really... REALLY my ships sensors should be able to find them. I know that enemies swarm around them but if the battle moves you away from the target, you can spend up to ten minutes trying to find one.

Not to mention ... on ground missions how is it that my ship can pinpoint a place to send my crew and beam them down to the planet but they can't find hunks of metal sticking out of the ground? Please think of something to address this. Our scanners and sensors should be able to do FAR more than they do now which is next to nothing. Scanning for anomalies ... really? That's it?

Giving the player the ability to actually locate things with scans and being able to use more of the ships actual functions would alleviate a lot of the tedium people experience in this game. If you want to improve the experience, this would be a GREAT place to start. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
You can run a sensor scan for anything that can be scanned in an area (the scan button is located next to your map, and is also usually hotkeyed to 'v'). This will point you to the nearest scanable object, whether it's a mission objective or an anomaly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDragoon View Post
You can run a sensor scan for anything that can be scanned in an area (the scan button is located next to your map, and is also usually hotkeyed to 'v'). This will point you to the nearest scanable object, whether it's a mission objective or an anomaly.
I think the OP understands that. The problem I believe the OP is trying to highlight is that of "Scale" when bringing sensorscans into gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2010, 02:32 AM
I only recently discovered the ability to scan an area and find the things I'm supposed to be looking for as well as finding anomalies. I must say it made the whole game immeasurably more fun when I stopped having to spend half an hour jogging around a planet's surface looking for the last small rock.

Even more delightful was no longer having to run up to every computer in a deserted asteroid base to see if it was the one I had to access. Why none of these bases seem to have their computers networked together so I could just get everything I need from the first one is another matter.

What confuses me is that sometimes the scanners don't find things. I did a mission yesterday involving locating prisoners behind force fields on a base, and the scanner didn't locate them, whereas in another mission involving finding prisoners sitting on the floor, it did.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I think that the problem is that with most of the objects that klinks deal with they are destructable, and thus not "Scannable" I think that at a minimum they should show up as enemies on the minimap.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I think what the OP wants is the ability to click on scan, even with a long cooldown, and have the entire area actually scanned and have certain items (like, for example, non-cloaked enemy ships, star bases, derelict hulls, etc) appear on the map, at least for a bit.

Personally, I agree. The current "press V" works, sometimes. But it is woefully inadequate in many other missions, such as Patrol Aokii (SP?) where finding the 4th shipyard is a pain.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Judging from the Orion avatar the original poster is using, I'm going to say they are playing as KDF.

As such, hitting "V" for Sensor Scan does not work when playing a Klingon in either Space or Ground missions.

All the people who have posted this suggestion have obviously not played a KDF character and experienced this frustration.

Worse still is trying to do the ground missions where you have to find tribble nests and destroy them in a map full of ground clutter.

This completely broken game mechanic is just another thing that adds to the frustration of players trying to level a KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I think they should let you select weather you're scanning for anomalies or mission related items because some times you just want to blow though a mission and other times the anomalies are just bugged so you keep scanning the same bugged item over and over.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-31-2010, 05:17 AM
Yeah it's always irked me in so-called Sci-Fi futures when things like this are used to purely extend the game play at the expense of extra frustrattion.

The worst are games where you have to travel about slowly revealing the map - when was the last time you travelled your own country or even city and didn't know how to plot a route? Nearly every man and his dog now with a smartphone has the entire globe at their finger tips. You don't see Google blacking out its maps just because you haven't visited the location yet!

Give us full and detailed scans - it's not the 18th century!