Lt. Commander
# 391
07-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Yea there was a "stall" on the DX thing.... but it got over that. But the hang up on Star Trek Online.lnk actually hung up the installer... I could still cancel out of it... but over 20 hours after hitting that file it didn't budge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrelbyrd View Post
The installer may look like it's stalled around some directx-thing, but just leave it, it will eventually get finished.

I think the winetricks plugin-thing is about installing it in PlayOnLinux. There's a link to a video in here somewhere with a guide.

I gave up trying to get STO to run in Ubuntu. Just too many problems with graphics. I think it's because I have an ATI card though.
Lt. Commander
# 392
07-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sullivan
Yea there was a "stall" on the DX thing.... but it got over that. But the hang up on Star Trek Online.lnk actually hung up the installer... I could still cancel out of it... but over 20 hours after hitting that file it didn't budge.
Same problem, Its when the program is creating a shortcut, it stalls. Mine has the same problem, Not really sure what to do. :S
Lt. Commander
# 393
07-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriger View Post
Same problem, Its when the program is creating a shortcut, it stalls. Mine has the same problem, Not really sure what to do. :S
just make sure it at least has the Star Trek Online.exe on there... the rest of the install doesn't matter (besides to save time/bandwidth).

If you run Star Trek Online.exe and you are missing anything from the install, it will download/patch it and get it working.
Lt. Commander
# 394
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
as a big tip to anyone trying to get this to run on linux....

with Wine 1.2, in the registry.. under Software->Wine->Direct3D you can add a string called StrictDrawOrdering and set it to disabled, and it will stop some weird performance drops, as things are able to draw a bit faster on the screen... seems to work good for me
Lt. Commander
# 395
08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
with Wine 1.2, in the registry.. under Software->Wine->Direct3D you can add a string called StrictDrawOrdering and set it to disabled, and it will stop some weird performance drops, as things are able to draw a bit faster on the screen... seems to work good for me
Thanks for re-posting that here. Hopefully it will help others in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 396
08-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
Do you get a blank white popup window when the launcher loads? Also can you take a screenshot of your loader screen?
Hi there, i just installed STO but after start i only get this mentioned white screen and nothing else.

I installed ie7 and corefonts with winetricks too.

*edit: Maybe i know whats the problem. ie6 or ie7 never installed, cause i have a 64 bit linux and 32bit wine. Using winetricks to installe ie6 and ie7 then fails cause it detects my 64bit linux host and denies installing 32 bit ie. Strange thing cause all other 32 bit apps work.. :/

*edit2: ok, i fxed my earlier problems by installing "bin32-wine_gecko" on my archlinux installation, now the launcher starts. I can fill in my credentials but i cannot hit the "patch" button. :/ I think this brings me back to problem 1. How to install ie6.

Is there anything i have to do to get rid of it? I searched in this thread but i cannot find anything that helps.

Here is a screenshot:

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=sto-white4vgz.png

edit: Don't know if this matters but i have a STO tray icon too. But i cannot interact with it.

Thx to all
Lt. Commander
# 397
08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxxxxe
Hi there, i just installed STO but after start i only get this mentioned white screen and nothing else.

I installed ie7 and corefonts with winetricks too.

Is there anything i have to do to get rid of it?

Here is a screenshot:

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=sto-white4vgz.png
That screenshot shows a line stating "Failed to init Gecko", I'm no expert however in my mind that would tell me your IE7 install is broken.

I noted a later edit to your post saying you can now enter login info but cannot click on patch, I still think IE7 is the problem even though it is semi-sorta working, I would recommend trying IE6 instead.

As far as getting rid of IE7, without reinstalling everything all over again, a sloppy and unrecommended hack would be to simply delete the folder IE7 installed to then install IE6 by running the command “winetricks ie6″. If it doesn't work you might just be better off with a fresh new .wine folder as Winetricks recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
How to remove things installed by Winetricks

Winetricks does not provide a way to uninstall files it installs. This is for several reasons, but mainly because the preferred way to uninstall anything in Wine is to simply install into a fresh .wine directory.
Personally I'm on a BSD box not Linux, and I had much better luck using IE6, when I tried IE7 it was all borked up.

I posted an article online about what I had to do to get STO running for me, it may or may not be of help to you or others.

The article is here - [ LINK ]
Lt. Commander
# 398
08-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Hey ZeroIce,

thx for your interest in helping, i will check your site.

I tried deleting the wine folder several times and created hundreds of new wine bottles but without luck.
It seems that this is a problem with my linux-/wineinstalaltion cause the problem, not being able to install wine is only present to me. On other archlinux computers it seems to work.

I made a thread in the archlinux forum, maybe someone can help me, cause this is not STO / wine related problem i think. The thread i'm talking about is this one: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=102422

cya
Lt. Commander
# 399
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxxxxe
Hey ZeroIce,

thx for your interest in helping, i will check your site.

I tried deleting the wine folder several times and created hundreds of new wine bottles but without luck.
It seems that this is a problem with my linux-/wineinstalaltion cause the problem, not being able to install wine is only present to me. On other archlinux computers it seems to work.

I made a thread in the archlinux forum, maybe someone can help me, cause this is not STO / wine related problem i think. The thread i'm talking about is this one: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=102422

cya
Okies, sorry wasn't an easy fix for ya. I looked at the link detailing the IE6 install issue. Don't have an answer for you on that but I'll ask around with some folks I know and if I get any potential solutions I'll pass them along.
Lt. Commander
# 400
08-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Hey,

i found a way to get it installed. It was as simple as installing wine 1.2 :/

You can read a more detailed description here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....806104#p806104

Again, thx for your help.
Closed Thread