Lt. Commander
# 1 Epic Fail
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
In a particularly ornery mood at the moment, I just wanted to lament about how crappy the pvp in this game is, was, and seems that it forever will be. A starking lack of commentary or seeming interest from the developers to do anything but nerfstick "op" powers and bring out C store nonsense no one asked for has left me to say the least : perturbed.

Perhaps it was seeing the slew of comments about the latest Q systems failings, and lack of promises/care/responses at all from the key devs. Maybe it was the fact that hundreds of skilled pvpers (whose presence makes the game worth playing) have left and not returned to even check out the latest "season". But most likely, it was the hordes upon hordes of players, sitting in deep space encounter waiting to get their free xp.

Is this a game? Is this what "star trek" is about? Infinite borg attack 8000? Wtf. I mean... seriously WTF? Please dont bother with the "if u dont like it go play wow" rhetoric, Im here to stay and im not even a lifetime subscriber. Im just really really ****ed, that this game, the pvp aspects of it, have not improved at all. Oh and no i dont give a targs bum about shanty town. What a tease. "New pvp maps!" my butt.

Please continue to not do anything for pvp, never implement sector control, and force factions to "work together" (lol) in new multifaction maps. Never unlock the zones like in the end of beta event, never add more races. Just keep on doing what youre doing Cryptic, seems that its making you alot of money. Dont worry, one day soon i am sure all of the models will be made open source and soemone will come up with a free to play mod for sfc orion pirates that shames this pathetic game. Oh yea, many already exist. all hail the mighty dollar
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-01-2010, 05:26 AM
One of the benefits of the Queue redesign they're going for (and I hope Cryptic read this part) is that map rotation means new and interesting maps can be created without fragmenting the queues more and even adding a new mode would still have fewer queues.

They're also added tourneys and robust private match options.

Now, one might argue that these should have been in at launch. Maybe. Hindsight is 20/20.

If UGC allows us to create PvP maps (or modes), then we're in for a treat. We'll essential go from very limited variety to extraordinary variety.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Right, but getting the current exsisting PvP to work is the real issue here.

Right now I cannot do my PvP daily because I can't get into the match with the Que system they put in. It was meant with good intent, however I do not believe it has the desired effect everyone was going for.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Personally, I hated when they brought out FvF. Completely neutralized Klingon PvP since most Klingons will want, or desire to do KvF. FvF should have, in my opinion, been made for private maps only. At least then the Klingon Population might have had a chance. Oh yeah, right, this game is all about pleasing the Federation side of the game. They get more, and usually the better, of the new shinies while the Klingons are given scraps.

Oh and before people respond with "but Season 2 gave klingons PvE missions, and a new ship, and new spawns for the new ship" Yeah, we did get a few nifty trinkets, with the exception currently of the Kar'fi carrier, but still when you compare what the Klingons have vs what the Federation has, it even makes a hardcore Klingon player like my self have to wonder why I bother playing a Klingon any more.

As far as Defend Gamma Orionis at least the "Eliminate Borg" zone mission isn't avaliable as much as the repeatable, every 20 minute, 3 time mission. Also it's nice that the Klingons and the Feds can actually help each other in the map. And I guess at least it's the ONLY zone of it's kind for Klingons, since the Defend the Empire vs. missions are solo/team only and not open zone. But I'd prefer being able to team with the Federation in the Gamma Orionis Sector for STFs beyond just being able to "co-exist" with them in the zone. Hopefully Season 3 will bring THAT option.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Personally, I hated when they brought out FvF. Completely neutralized Klingon PvP since most Klingons will want, or desire to do KvF. FvF should have, in my opinion, been made for private maps only. At least then the Klingon Population might have had a chance. Oh yeah, right, this game is all about pleasing the Federation side of the game. They get more, and usually the better, of the new shinies while the Klingons are given scraps.

Oh and before people respond with "but Season 2 gave klingons PvE missions, and a new ship, and new spawns for the new ship" Yeah, we did get a few nifty trinkets, with the exception currently of the Kar'fi carrier, but still when you compare what the Klingons have vs what the Federation has, it even makes a hardcore Klingon player like my self have to wonder why I bother playing a Klingon any more.

As far as Defend Gamma Orionis at least the "Eliminate Borg" zone mission isn't avaliable as much as the repeatable, every 20 minute, 3 time mission. Also it's nice that the Klingons and the Feds can actually help each other in the map. And I guess at least it's the ONLY zone of it's kind for Klingons, since the Defend the Empire vs. missions are solo/team only and not open zone. But I'd prefer being able to team with the Federation in the Gamma Orionis Sector for STFs beyond just being able to "co-exist" with them in the zone. Hopefully Season 3 will bring THAT option.
Very true, since FvF came into play........I worry that Feds still wont learn good tactics vs Klings. Nothing beats the real thing I imagine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-01-2010, 09:42 AM
The new PvP Queues are crap. It's virtually impossible now to do the PvP daily. I play this game for PvP, not because I like the crappy ground combat against hordes of NPCs. If this issue is not going to be fixed, I'll have to play something else. Even the most dedicated players in my fleet, who are playing since Beta, have already decided not to buy another game card because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Oh yeah, right, this game is all about pleasing the Federation side of the game. They get more, and usually the better, of the new shinies while the Klingons are given scraps.
/signed
Klingons don't even have crafting!
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Right, but getting the current exsisting PvP to work is the real issue here.

Right now I cannot do my PvP daily because I can't get into the match with the Que system they put in. It was meant with good intent, however I do not believe it has the desired effect everyone was going for.
This is my feelings as well. Once I do get into a match-everything becomes enjoyable again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2010, 08:02 AM
PvP needs to be re-vamped, I admit. The changes Snix anounced will help, but I still want it to imitate Guild Wars more closely.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Very true, since FvF came into play........I worry that Feds still wont learn good tactics vs Klings. Nothing beats the real thing I imagine.
Totally agree on this point, when I hop on my kling for pvp (get a rare pop) we never lose, it's like the pvp has gotten easier due to lack of understanding how to fight one's opponent. (ex. FvK, fed needs to play defensively in most cases... but instead they play offensively without foresight (if you want to play offensively thinking of it as you're in a ship, they're in a sub, what would WWII do?))