Lt. Commander
# 121 hostile takeover?!?!
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
wow, that's kinda odd that the same company now pretty much owns the marketing and distribution of eve online and sto....i always kinda figured that when sto came out it would draw a lot of players from eve. it's not like a pepsi vs. coca cola decision, it's more like an indy venture vs a well established i.p. where the people who've been playing the indy game have been doing so b/c hey let's face it there's no star wars or star trek game like it. by a show of hands...anyone here fit that bill? i know i do. granted, eve has a great backstory, graphics, etc., plus not having to pay for expansions (which is a freakin great idea btw and they seem to be fully able to maintenance the game w/o those revenues-hint hint) but there's several fundamental flaws in the gameplay. never leaving your ship to go planetside, the really odd lack of truly alien races, etc. both of which sto guarantees. i just feel that when sto gets released, that's the end of the line for eve cause atari will not put enough money into properly marketing it and the money ccp put down to deliver retail copies will be in vain. then ccp goes bankrupt atari buys it ftw. then there goes a really great, groundbreaking game fell by the corporate machine. i don't fear for the future of sto nearly as much as i fear for the future of eve.
Lt. Commander
# 122
12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet1138 View Post
i don't fear for the future of sto nearly as much as I fear for the future of eve.
I don't play it, but my Spidey Sense went off too.

For better or worse.
Lt. Commander
# 123
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Although it is slightly disappointing to know that the game probably won't come out until 2010, I hope that this is a positive move for Cryptic Studios!
Lt. Commander
# 124
12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet1138 View Post
wow, that's kinda odd that the same company now pretty much owns the marketing and distribution of eve online and sto....i always kinda figured that when sto came out it would draw a lot of players from eve. it's not like a pepsi vs. coca cola decision, it's more like an indy venture vs a well established i.p. where the people who've been playing the indy game have been doing so b/c hey let's face it there's no star wars or star trek game like it. by a show of hands...anyone here fit that bill? i know i do. granted, eve has a great backstory, graphics, etc., plus not having to pay for expansions (which is a freakin great idea btw and they seem to be fully able to maintenance the game w/o those revenues-hint hint) but there's several fundamental flaws in the gameplay. never leaving your ship to go planetside, the really odd lack of truly alien races, etc. both of which sto guarantees. i just feel that when sto gets released, that's the end of the line for eve cause atari will not put enough money into properly marketing it and the money ccp put down to deliver retail copies will be in vain. then ccp goes bankrupt atari buys it ftw. then there goes a really great, groundbreaking game fell by the corporate machine. i don't fear for the future of sto nearly as much as i fear for the future of eve.
Um, you might want to check your facts out a tad more kthx?

Atari Merged with Infogrames, Infogrames went into the crapper, delisted it's securities, and now Atari is pulling back from that. Atari had to reneg on it's share prices and delist its securities, because it failed to meat the stock exchange rules....meaning it's stock price fell below $1.00. Now it would appear that Atari once again is going private, revamping it's corporate assets, and probably kicking a lot of executives out of the their respective chairs at the moment.

SO I wouldn't breath a sigh of relief just yet. We're not quite out of those hot waters just yet.

Regarding EvE vs. STO:

EvE and STO have absolutely nothing in common with each other. Not a thing.

CCP still holds the exclusive rights to EvE, they only allowed Atari to publish it under license from CCP in Box sets in the US. The majority of people can still download the game client directly from CCP/Eve's website.

Oh, and CCP merged with White Wolf, not Atari...

Research for the win.

-Avery
Lt. Commander
# 125
12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
Although it is slightly disappointing to know that the game probably won't come out until 2010, I hope that this is a positive move for Cryptic Studios!
Posts from AWEN:

Quote:
Hi there! I hadn't planned to introduce myself like this, but when in Rome... I'm Nicole or Awen whichever you choose to use. I am the lead community representative for Star Trek Online. (Just started last week so unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to get to know all of you yet.) I'd like to answer some of the questions that you may have right now about this announcement.

The first thing that you should know is that it will be business as usual for Cryptic Studios. We still haven't announced a release date for STO and most likely will not do so for awhile. We like to keep the mystery building.

Basically, this acquisition allows Cryptic to really focus on making these games even better. Our goals are so closely aligned with those of Atari's new direction, that it accelerates our plans to independantly develop and operate really great games.

Overall, you probably won't see alot of changes, but I want to assure you that we're moving on the same track that we were yesterday and things are good.

Quote:
I see a recurring theme here. The game has not been pushed back. We are still aiming for a Fall 2009 release. I hope that this quiets your fears.

I want to let you know that this acquisition doesn't affect the design or timeline for Star Trek Online. It just means that we have the resources we need to get a good game out the door.
Quote:
As a gamer, I understand the initial panic that alot of you may be feeling. I've felt it myself a few times in the past, believe me. However, I can assure you that we are heading toward the same goal that we were yesterday in terms of Star Trek Online. Things are continuing completely as they were. It's a good design and a great team. Everything is on course.
Lt. Commander
# 126
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
1st let me say welcome. I have been watching this game from day one, and I for one get a little uneasy when I hear new people taking the lead on development.

I seen the take over of another game under construction called UO2 by EA, and what did they do? Seeing how they took over UO at the time, they felt no need to keep making the second one, and pulled the plug on what I felt would have been a good game at the time.

But that was then and this is now.

As long as everything stays on track, like it's been said, then STO might be the WoW killer I am hoping it can be. There are far more trek Fans in the world vs Wow players, the key will be to get them into playing STO. lol

Anyway, again welcome, and let me one of the 1st to request a spot in the beta for next year please.

Just remember I did say please.
Lt. Commander
# 127
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, here's to hoping that this will not have too much of an impact on the development of the game. I sincerely hope that this will help to make the game even better, even though I'm sure it would have been good anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 128
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I just dont know...What is it with Star Trek? Is it cursed? Jeeezzz, finally get a good idea for a Star Trek game and now this..Now 2010. Sorry folks, thats too long!!! 2010? Come on now! 2009 would be a perfect time for this game to come out. Beta in the spring, release in the late fall or winter or 2009. STO is really pushing fans patients levels. Well, I hope this works out with the new ownership, but I must say 2010 is a long ways away and a lot of things can happen to take ones attention away from this MMO. Well...I check back here from time to time....but life must go on..This just doesnt feel right...Hope Im wrong....Anyways......... A Tear falls )
Lt. Commander
# 129
12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEnigma
I disagree. I simply googled her name to learn more about this new name, this new community relations moderator. I am unsure which one she is, however I believe she is the one on the right.

And who you callin' mate?? :p

lol Good detective work! They are both cute.. lol
Lt. Commander
# 130
12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
personaly i think it is lame that they are joining to gather i liked cryptic small size and great customer service i hope that is not lost now though hopefully this will accelerate the design of the game