Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
In another posting, there were ideas for a Tier VI ship. Some ideas came out about a larger type cruiser of massive proportions called the Typhoon. So, I got thinking:
What if one could, as a fleet, spend lots of time, resources and MAKE one of these massive ships, and mann them with the players of their own fleet in PvP, as well as some PvE battles?? Their role and function would be exactly as it SHOULD be, in that they provide a massive damage/supportive role, however greatly lacking in speed and maneuverability.

If a Ship like this could exist, these are a few ideas of what I would like to see aboard the ship:
1 - It's own Voice Chat system integrated into ONLY that ship, so that voice commands are heard by all. Any other communication between ships on the outside would have to be done on the Fleet Ventrilo or Team Speak Server of that fleet.

2 - A working onscreen that toggles a battle screen (rendering the same outside tactical view of the ship flying in 3d, as well as a smaller screen next to it rendering the minimap).

3 - Five Officer seats on the bridge (1 Fleet Admiral Seat - Captain's chair, 1 Tactical Seat, 1 Science Seat, and 2 Engineering Seats). Each of these seats with their own respective skills that can be used.

4 - A working Sick Bay run by one or two Science Officers. (If your crew takes hits, then they beam into sick bay beds. The faster you heal them, the faster your crew regenerates). A passive percentage boost to Science Bridge Officer Seat timer countdowns would apply per Officer allocated to this location.

5 - Active Security Officer Station - up to 5 players. (A Red Alert will show ONLY in this station regarding the presence of boarders who will try to take out certain systems on your ship. The Officers allocated to this station would then be in charge of taking out these boarders, as well as beaming aboard other FLEET player-manned vessels to take out their systems if their shields are down.) A passive percentage boost to Tactical Bridge Officer Seat timer countdowns would apply per Officer allocated to this location.

6 - Two Engineer players to assist with manual repairs to hull damage (providing a large boost to hull repair); with smallboosts to power and speed and maneuverability (as a passive), as well as a passive boost to Bridge Engineering Seat timer countdowns for their abilities.

7 - A five to ten minute (or more) Respawn Timer if this ship gets knocked out.. making it PRIME target, but also would make sense, considering its size and destructive abilities.

8 - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5 FLEET battles could occur against each other. Also, only 1 of these ships allowed in PvP battles (only one slot would be allocated) where there are other lower class ships to aid.

9 - As a side-benefit of a ship like this, it provides each fleet member with a sense of accomplishment and pride. It also will provide a great location for fleet meetings, parties, and other social gatherings. It would also open the door for fleet rewards and trophies which could be displayed for actively using these ships as a fleet.

So, is this of any interest to people that play STO??
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
So how would this ship work in PvP? Would it be a space or ground mission?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-03-2010, 06:55 PM
It would be a Space Fleet Action, with a combination of PvP, PvE and 'sort-of' ground action.

Examples:
Scenario One: This ship would be used in PvE Fleet actions with intense ship battles... not ALL missions need to have both Space and Ground battles in the same mission. These missions would be designed to be VERY intense with numerous tough ships to fight. Completing these missions would mean heroic accolades for all Fleet members involved, as well as turn in items (such as Emblems) for the completed mission. There would also be Secondary Objectives that you would complete for extra bonuses to the mission rewards.

Scenario Two: PvP would be vastly dinamic with one of these ships present. To enter a match with a FLEET ship, you'd have to join a specified PvP type. Since I can't think of an imaginary name for it, I'd just have to call them "Titan Wars" for now. Each side would present with a FLEET vessel and at least four other lesser ranked ships. To take down a FLEET vessel, you'd have to collaborate tactics very well as a support vessel. The FLEET vessels themselves, since they are manned by real people will be prime target, as knocking one out will mean that they will have a respawn of about 5 or more minutes before they may enter into the fight again. The idea being that there HAS to be some working together with your fleet members to fly, fire at the enemy, heal, and support the vessels supporting you. The shields, hulls, and systems would be vastly superior on the FLEET ship, Once you take down an enemy FLEET vessel shield, you may choose to blow the snot out the hull (provided that they don't have heals ready to go), or you may choose to board the enemy with some of your actual Fleet Members to do some in-ship 'ground' PvP for the chance to destroy a system or two inside the ship itself (utilizing the new ship interiors)... maybe even the warp core, if you're that good. What I'd also like to see are more ways to move around the ship, like active jeffreys tubes or something of that nature, in order to give more ways than one to sneek, instead of just choke-pointing on area. I'd also like to see the ability to beam into four different locations, so that the security breach map in the Security Office would have to be utilized... so no camping. Inevitably, the main objective is a point system based on losses. The more ships they lose, the more points you gain and vise-versa, until a point cap is reached.

Scenario Three: Eventually, as this kicks off, you will "Face-Off' with other Fleets, challenging their FLEET vessel to your own in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5 FLEET vessel duals. These matches would be completed when the other enemy's vessel is destroyed one time only. These battles would be ranked, and the highest ranking Fleet would be given a rank that would show on their FLEET ship icon in Sector Space and in battle. However, these ranks CAN be lost as better Fleets challenge that rank. To gain rank, a fractional point system would be used to determine their loss over win factor. The more battles that you attend as a fleet, the narrower the margine of contenders, and the less number of people that could actually attain the highest ranks. This number would be based off of the literal number of fleets that have a registered ship of this magnitude.

Anyhow.. that's the ideas for them so far.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
So would the "live players" be used like BO's ? Everyone would have a "station" on the Bridge or respective
Department on the Fleet Ship?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVel422
So would the "live players" be used like BO's ? Everyone would have a "station" on the Bridge or respective
Department on the Fleet Ship?
Yes, real players would assume the seats of the BO's.

As well, real players would assume active roles WITHIN the ship interior, as stated in points 4, 5, and 6 of my initial posting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I think the core idea is great --- multiple people running a single ship.

However it will need to be spec'ed out very carefully...
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
this concept is the exact oppisite of what i would hope for in the future i want to command a task force of ships (star trek legacy or star fleet command) where i get to outfit and aquire crew for my fleet =p

having said that i dont consider this idea uncool . it would be fun itsj ust i want a startegic depth to my play and less being stuck with a single chatacter =)

we will see what the developers have in store eh =p
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-06-2010, 02:37 AM
The OP's idea is a very very very old one.... All the way back to when PE were developing the game. Its a dead donkey that need not be flogged any more. Many players have stated how boring it would be just to sit in front of a screen clicking a button once every so often while others do the same in some pakled type attempt to be good in combat.

Drop this dead donkey, not gogin to happen in this game as Cryptic have stated on numerous occasions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE-Kaos View Post
Many players have stated how boring it would be just to sit in front of a screen clicking a button once every so often while others do the same in some pakled type attempt to be good in combat.
... Hmm... Isn't that what happens now?

The idea is a Fleet Ship in concept. Regardless of how it's run, it should be something that the fleet bands together and attains through hard teamwork, and brings to a battle as a team effort. So, if it's a 'bad idea' that real players sit at each sit and click buttons every now and then, I still fail to see how this is different from now, and I also think it could be better than just one or two buttons being clicked. I was actually thinking about more micro-management of ship power as an expendature when using their skills. As an example: Each ship consol is given a certain amount of power (based upon the Captains power-control wishes) that goes down as a result of using skills. To use the skills well, one would have to juggle toggles, and know which skills to use when. This way, it's much more than clicking a few buttons.

To be quite honest, I don't understand why it has to be a 'dead donkey' of an idea. The idea of this ship type is to be more interactive than any ship in the game so far, where Fleets actually HAVE a social environment, and even use that environment in battles that are FAR more engaging than the same old B-Tran missions.

What if a fleet actually wants to fly one of these? I don't believe for a moment that this HAS to be boring. There are many games that take player-manned consols very seriously, and use the concept quite well to sell millions of copies; BATTLEFIELD being the biggest name. And, as with the Battlefield series, player consol management is done very well, and is quite fun IMO. Which proves the point that player-manned consols ARE indeed something that sells, and can be implemented very well if done right. FLEET vessels would bring different end-game combat, far more immersive than any stupid hologram program or card game.

Maybe my idea is a bad one, and maybe it is a boring one? I don't know, but could it be something we collaborate on until it is a good idea that they could work with, and would be engaging for all? For once, I'd like to get an idea like this and make it work, instead of blowing the idea totally out of the water. There's plenty of pessimism in the game already, but what about solutions and ideas?

PS - Canmore, I actually like the idea of your own outfitted fleets and crew. Having your own fleet is pretty much for PvE anyhow, so has very little confliction with this idea. And, even if you chose to bring a ship like I'm suggesting to a PvE grand-scale battle, it would still not conflict with that idea, as every battle has a ship limit to it anyhow, and the Fleet vessel would only count as one, but would bring a special edge to the battle.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
It was done in Star Wars Galaxies and almost never used because it was such a hassle to get everyone working together. The multiplayer ships were good in concept, laid out very well, everyone on board had a job to do and it absolutely sucked to actually do it.

The guns were manually targetted and it was damned near impossible to hit anything with any of the turrets if someone like me with a HOTAS rig was flying.

Damage control was located throughout the ship and plasma leaks almost instantly killed anyone that was standing by to repair them.

The co-pilot's seat was kind of useless because of the lack of commands which could be done better in STO but won't be.

You would almost HAVE to go with full flight control systems and full 6-DOF to make it playable.

Phasers are locked on target leaving the tactical position with little to do other than select targets.

The ships are meant to be manned by crews of several hundred, not half a dozen and even assuming that you only used five players per ship, there would be damned little for any of them to do

Implementation would be horrible and would basically require a full redesign of the game engine to make it work.

Personally, I would rather play poker with my fleet mates in the lounge than that.