Lt. Commander
# 21
08-03-2010, 09:13 PM
IT would require a lot of work I am sure, but it is possible.

Take City of Heroes for example, large MMO, with the ability to

A: Design your own bases, from a UI much like the one presented here.

B: Create your own missions.

It can be done in an MMO. Now, will they do it? who knows.

As far as having your screenshots up as pictures, good idea, but how would you implement it? Usually, having something like that, and having it be visible for every other person that visits usually requires that they have the pictures on their computer.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancstew View Post
IT would require a lot of work I am sure, but it is possible.

Take City of Heroes for example, large MMO, with the ability to

A: Design your own bases, from a UI much like the one presented here.

B: Create your own missions.

It can be done in an MMO. Now, will they do it? who knows.
I don't pretend to know how much they're engine has changed since that game, assuming it use the same engine at all, but if tech developed for that can be ported over, so much the better.

It sounds like user-generated content may be on the list for future development. It would be nice if this and that could make use of similar tech, especially for the design of bases and mission interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancstew View Post
As far as having your screenshots up as pictures, good idea, but how would you implement it? Usually, having something like that, and having it be visible for every other person that visits usually requires that they have the pictures on their computer.
Yeah, it would definitely be a challenge. I wouldn't say it's impossible. They save screenshots of your character for use in the Captain's Database. While that system is somewhat dissimilar, it does show that it's possible to take user-specific screenshots and post them on the server side.

I think the real problem would be storing them. Images are a lot bigger than the usual character data, and when you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of accounts, BOOM! I suppose they could be transferred from client to client on a need view basis, but that would increase bandwidth usage.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
it works on second life... just a question of policy.

in my opinion a startrek mmo should NOT be a combat-oriented-every-player-does-the-same-stuff-game BUT INSTEAD the vulcan principle of IDIC (infinite diversity in infinite combinations) and the way the LCARS display is described (user customizable) already implies that every player should be able to change things.

customizing the ships interior is the smallest issue, if you ask me.

think about a fed player running into an armed klingon force and let the player decide whether he wants to shoot or talk his way out, resulting in a totally different situation on the next mission where he can either meet these klingons or not, depending on the previous decision. THIS is an issue to think about.

but just back to topic....
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stahl in the August 9th Ask Cryptic
Q: lancemikemack: Will we be able to customize our interiors more?

A: It is a long term goal (aka not Season 3) of the User Generated Content team to allow players to completely customize their interiors and perhaps even allow Fleets to construct their own Starbases that exist in game. All of that will take time and we need to get the tools functional and working first to create very basic missions before we can attempt this.
Well it looks like starship interiors is on the to-do list, although not soon. It seems that it will most likely reuse tech being developed for UGC, which does make sense. So once we see more of UGC, we'll have a better idea of how interiors will work.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
My dream is to have all 42 decks of a galaxy class starship with accurate layout.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
My dream is to have all 42 decks of a galaxy class starship with accurate layout.
From one who owns the TNG Blueprints, the task you envision would be massive. The galaxy class is 42 decks of this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6xoH967aC0...-h/ST1115b.jpg

But if your willing to do it, and it doesn't bring your computer to a screeching halt, more power to you.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
great idea
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-07-2010, 10:12 AM
OUTSTANDING!!! IMake it Happen!!
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Love this idea!
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I personally would also like the ability to place your BOFFs in different seats on the bridge, and different areas to interact in. So you might have your healing BOFFs in sickbay, your engineering in Main Engineering/walking around doing work, a Tactical Officer in the Armory, etc.

Also, I would like to see an "outline" for that particular deck to the ship. So if deck eight is only 100 meters wide, you can't make it 300 meters, to make it more canon. Also, there could be "outline" pieces, that are specifically made to fit the outer sides of the ship. These ones will have windows, so you can see the outside (preferably on what area you are in, like you see Earth/Spacedock if you're in the Sol system.) Also, you can not just "rotate" the parts but "flip" them as well, so maybe if you have a spot that can't be fit by rotating it, you can flip it so it can.

I also would like to be able to interact with different things like.

Bridge: You can "look up" the files on what has happened since Nemesis, Characters, and maybe other players.

Ready Room: Where you can go and customize it with different items that you have bought like desks, fish tanks (something everybody wants), trophies, and other things.

Armory: A mobile "Memory Alpha" for making Tactical Upgrades to your weapons.

Research Lab: Same as Armory, except for science

Engineering Lab: Engineering MA.

Main Engineering: Warp Core Ejection (and other things)

Shuttlebay: Where you can go and (maybe) launch one of your shuttles (the Dandube Runabout, and the Captain Yacht.)

And many more.

The possibilities with this are endless, I really do like your idea, and with everything that you can do, it would make every ship unique and a fun place to go and relax.