Lt. Commander
# 1 we need a better ground cloak
08-04-2010, 05:30 AM
the ground cloak we have needs to be improved for PvP. My ideas, while your in cloak make your map circle gone, you can only fire on a person in cloak if you click on them. It's not much but it will make cloak better for PvP.

tell me what you think
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captin96
the ground cloak we have needs to be improved for PvP. My ideas, while your in cloak make your map circle gone, you can only fire on a person in cloak if you click on them. It's not much but it will make cloak better for PvP.

tell me what you think
You aren't on the map while cloaked if you don't get into detection range.

You also can't be targeted if your not detected, if you exit the detection range of your opponent you will start fading out which will make your opponents lose target.

The range at which your opponent can detect you depends on their perception. Theres traits for perception and its also part of some buffs, like sci's tricorder scan or tac's optics. Theres also a trait that you can pick at character creation that improves your cloak quite noticeable (covert). On top of that does the amount of skill in close combat, special forces and stealth modify it too.

In a nutshell the range depends on :
a) your skill distribution
b) if you picked covert trait
c) if your opponent has perception trait(s)
d) if your opponent as a buff up with perception up.

A few rough number i tested a while ago:
skilled tac without trait vs opponent without perception/buff - stay > 8 m
skilled tac without trait vs opponent with telepathic + acute - stay > 15m

Theres also steps between completely seen, pulsing in & out and completely invisible. Like with the >8m invis, 7m 6s pulsing interval, 6.x m 3s pulsing, etc..

As general rule... if you want to stay undetected, watch the map and move away from your opponents before they get into range to detect you, if you want to be save stay >20m. If you want to use it offensively, don't think of cloak as a way to get into melee range but rather as a way to get undetected in a flanking position.. if you go <30m to start shooting, expect to be detected and act quick.

However I should probably note that getting in a flanking position for a nice ambush attack is after the heavy burst dmg nerfs that came with season 2 (without any word in the patch notes!) not anymore that interessting as it was before tho.

Oh and i generally don't think cloak needs improvement, the skill works actually quite good if used correctly, using it correctly is where a lot of people fail however (no offense meant, just my personal opinion after seeing people that tried to cloak up right into melee range and went on complaining in zone chat then that the skill is useless.).
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I agree with mikiy, it's fine. Sounds like you need to slot a little beter.