Lt. Commander
While I do not hold onto any sense of false hope that this post will actually change anything, or even be read by anybody important, I still type my feelings here. Yes, this is a little TL;DR - ye have been warned

I downloaded the game demo a few weeks ago, to take another look at STO, to see how it has progressed since beta. While downloading, I browsed the website and to my dismay I found that the C-Store still exists, and that even more stuff is offered in there.

You may ask, "Why do you act like that's a bad thing?" Well, being an old-school gamer, I have certain beliefs in what a purchased game should be. Namely, I feel that when I buy a game, I should get the entire game, and not just parts of it. However, this is what I see every time I look at STO - you buy about 80% of the game at start-up, then spend who-knows how much on little extras like ship hulls, costume pieces, and extra races for yourself or your bridge officers. Then on-top of all of that, you have a monthly subscription that goes along with that.

To me, I simply see this as a form of price gouging, and despite the fact that I enjoyed STO during my brief stint in Beta, I just can't bring myself to play a game that seems to think that gouging it's customers is alright. If the game was Free-to-Play (i.e. micro-transaction) or solely subscription-based, I don't think I'd have quite the problem with this, but with both at the same time? Note, I've quit and/or skipped other MMO's that are starting to do the same thing - Champions, City of Heroes, World of ********... oh wait, I stopped WoW even before they started doing that.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for those that have read. Fly safe.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsabrock
You may ask, "Why do you act like that's a bad thing?" Well, being an old-school gamer, I have certain beliefs in what a purchased game should be. Namely, I feel that when I buy a game, I should get the entire game, and not just parts of it. However, this is what I see every time I look at STO - you buy about 80% of the game at start-up, then spend who-knows how much on little extras like ship hulls, costume pieces, and extra races for yourself or your bridge officers. Then on-top of all of that, you have a monthly subscription that goes along with that.
There have been many posts over the last two months or more that have stated openly that this is an MMO, and that is is constantly "Under Construction", and that it will never be completed, but will always be changing as content is added and modified, so no you would not be getting a Complete Game in this, ever as I see it. What you get on the CD is mostly the Game Launch Platform.

All of the Items that are available in the C-Store, they are "Cosmetic Only" as it has been explained to me, and none of them are "Necessary" to playing the game in its entirety. If you choose to buy them, it is your choice, but you do not need them to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Searcher
There have been many posts over the last two months or more that have stated openly that this is an MMO, and that is is constantly "Under Construction", and that it will never be completed, but will always be changing as content is added and modified, so no you would not be getting a Complete Game in this, ever as I see it. What you get on the CD is mostly the Game Launch Platform.

All of the Items that are available in the C-Store, they are "Cosmetic Only" as it has been explained to me, and none of them are "Necessary" to playing the game in its entirety. If you choose to buy them, it is your choice, but you do not need them to play the game.
To clarify a little-bit, I am aware of the MMO Mentality of "Never Finished". That is not what I'm criticizing. What I'm criticizing is that extra cosmetic content that is not included in the game. Not that long ago, such content would have been included free-of-charge. Yes, none of it is "necessary" to play the game, but the fact that should anybody want them, they have to hand-over more money on-top of the subscription they already pay. That is ultimately what dissuades me from buying the game.

Not all MMO's are run that way, but it bothers me greatly with this trend that is growing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, I'm suprised cry babys like you are still lurking around. Suck it up play or don't but don't cry on the forums, most of us don't care.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsabrock

Not all MMO's are run that way, but it bothers me greatly with this trend that is growing.
Please, im curious. Name two western MMO's that dont have some kind of optional store for fluff type goodies.

Given the high development, bandwidth, and maintenance costs associated with MMO's. And the fact that the accepted monthly cost of $15 hasn't increased or changed in at least 5 years. Despite a slow economy and inflation. Costs have to be paid for in some way.

Id much rather see companies follow a C-store model then the alternative of having to raise the monthly rates. The fact that stores are successful is most likely the reason that MMO monthly rates haven't increased in all these years despite everything else getting more expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
C-Store is the least of STO's problems. Currently STO has 17 seperate currencies, many of them used to buy the same tier equipment. Extremely poor STF design. Cryptic seems to think that zerg fest is equel challenging and intersting, fun gameplay, when it is only simple to implement without much effort or creativity (yes, I said it). After increasing to the level cap cryptic did not seem to understand that RA is no longer level cap and retained STFs, which were reserved for top level. Season 2 is loaded with bugs. Mamagment should take a long hard look at who is working on the design team. Some of the decisions are truely perplexingly stupid.

There is hope however. Even though the Klingon missions are bugged, they are fun. So are the diplomatic missions. It is a shame that there are only 5.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
There are 8 diplomatic missions.

And having multiple currencies has solved much of the problem of gold farmers. So all in all its something I can accept.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Personally I love the c-store, no one is forcing me to buy anything from there, so if there is something I want....great. Nothing on their is game breaking or a must have. As long as new content is also released for free, then I see no problem in offering bonus stuff in the store.

The main problem is no one will be 100% happy with the C-Store, if they just made outfits, some people would be upset that they couldn't get their Mirror Universe outfit in game.....if they add ships, people complain that particular ship is their favorite and they should be able to get it in game.

Having a c-store gets these items out faster as it's another incentive for the devs. My only real complaint with the c-store are the per character items vs per account.

I don't find it price gouging as i'm not forced to buy anything to still enjoy the game.....now mind you if they started putting new SPace Sectors on the c-store.....that would be one thing, but all this stuff is cosmetic at best.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
There are 8 diplomatic missions.

And having multiple currencies has solved much of the problem of gold farmers. So all in all its something I can accept.
Well, then it is a shame that there are only 8 diplomatic missions.

multiple currencies have not solved the problem of credit farmers seeing how credit farmers can only deal in energy credits and you can buy almost anything in game with them. If anything they help credit framers since they help generate income. Having 17 currencies or merging those to 10 or even 6 would still do the trick.

I am not opposed to having multiple currencies in game and think that the badges and medals are a good way to acquire equipment. However there should be no distinction between badges and medals, even tiers could be removed to further streamline currencies. Instead of having medals and badges of different orders, there could be service badges for tier specific equipment and service medals for level cap tier equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Allright, there are more than 8 diplomatic missions. There are missions in Star Clusters that are "diplomatic," unfortunately, they are not as good as the specific diplomatic missions. (Which are WAY too easy for me right now, but still enjoyable.)

Also, this is not a console game where the full game should be on it. This is an online game that has the ability to grow and adapt. I like the idea of having the C-store, as it allows me to get stuff that I might like without having to waste ingame currency to get it. What I like the best is that all those little goodies help this game get better. The extra species and stuff are there for a people who want to buy it. So you like the Caitian (?) you can get it, if you don't, you don't have too. The monthly subscription is to help pay for the price of adding new content, keeping the servers running, etc, etc. So, I would rather have a good game that I have to pay 15 bucks a month for, rather than a bad one that is free.

Overall, the C-store is something that you don't NEED to be active in, its just there to give Cryptic a little more money to help make this game better, now if Cryptic started selling stuff like new areas, weapons, etc, than I would be a little peod. The Dreadnaught is close to that boundary, but there is another way of getting it rather than spending 20 bucks. Overall, I can see what you mean, I just don't agree. My advice, if you don't like the game, leave the forums and let the people who DO like is play in peace.
Closed Thread