Lt. Commander
Hey everyone,

I stopped playing sto over the summer, for no other reason than I try to tone down gaming during summer time. Just my own way of doing things. Obviously i knew there were gonna be alot of changes in that time..which actually is quite exciting to see how far it has come, what new content etc etc. Obviously i can(and have started) to catchup by reading patch notes, feedback and all the usual. A lot looks cool but reading it is one thing playing is another.

I am a little lost I confess, not in any major way(so around maybe May i stopped playing remember)

I would just like to ask the opinion of anyone willing to share thier thoughts with me.

With all the changes im wondering if it will almost be a different game in some respects. I had a toon at captain level and i WAS going to continue with that character. BUT now im thinking in order to see more of the content... AND to learn the game a fresh(as i understand things like crafting got an overhaul for e.g.) if i would be better off treating it like new and starting over with a new character from level one??

In peoples opinions , do you think it would be a wiser(and more rewarding) route to start over? Or am i expecting too much change, and is iwhat im suggesting a little bit of overkill??

I know on an average day this is no major decision..i mean i started a few characters like many people. But this time it's important to me because i really want to get as immersed in the game as possible and see as much as i can..and gey my playing skills up to scratch for when i go fleet hunting

So yeah i know it's not an exciting question(well it is for me ) but any feedback would be greatfully recieved..one thing i know is normally these forums are never short of an opinion..so im kinda hoping/relying on you guys

Thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
Hey everyone,

I stopped playing sto over the summer, for no other reason than I try to tone down gaming during summer time. Just my own way of doing things. Obviously i knew there were gonna be alot of changes in that time..which actually is quite exciting to see how far it has come, what new content etc etc. Obviously i can(and have started) to catchup by reading patch notes, feedback and all the usual. A lot looks cool but reading it is one thing playing is another.

I am a little lost I confess, not in any major way(so around maybe May i stopped playing remember)

I would just like to ask the opinion of anyone willing to share thier thoughts with me.

With all the changes im wondering if it will almost be a different game in some respects. I had a toon at captain level and i WAS going to continue with that character. BUT now im thinking in order to see more of the content... AND to learn the game a fresh(as i understand things like crafting got an overhaul for e.g.) if i would be better off treating it like new and starting over with a new character from level one??

In peoples opinions , do you think it would be a wiser(and more rewarding) route to start over? Or am i expecting too much change, and is iwhat im suggesting a little bit of overkill??

I know on an average day this is no major decision..i mean i started a few characters like many people. But this time it's important to me because i really want to get as immersed in the game as possible and see as much as i can..and gey my playing skills up to scratch for when i go fleet hunting

So yeah i know it's not an exciting question(well it is for me ) but any feedback would be greatfully recieved..one thing i know is normally these forums are never short of an opinion..so im kinda hoping/relying on you guys

Thanks in advance
Most of the changes are at endgame, so you really wont gain anything from creating a new character per-se. To be honest you would probably be better off to just continue leveling your current toon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd keep the same character.
Memory Alpha "re-vamp" involved making it easier to understand rather than any changes to the current crafting system.
While there is some new features like Diplomacy etc the game hasn't changed a great deal.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Welcome back mate!

There's some exciting stuff coming toward the end of the month with weekly episodes. However, let me answer your questions:

Quote:
I'd recommend keeping your Captain ranked character. The new content is either accessible at any level or designed for end-game. Captain is not a bad place to learn the game.

Quote:
This is up to you but all the content is accesible to your Captain now versus grinding to Lt. 6 to merely begin unlocking content.

You'll see the changes on both your characters but the changes aren't too earth shattering. Don't get me wrong - the new content added these past fews months is good. However, you won't need to relearn the game.

Quote:
I'd recommend keeping your Captain. There's a lot of content exclusive to higher-level players (i.e. Borg and Undine space, STFs (mini-raids), and more). The most exciting and fun changes are partially found there.

So, keep you Captain and level up. If you need help learning the ropes again, fly over to Ker'rat and ask for help. There are plenty of people willing to aide you as a player.

Anyways, long answer but you had a round-about way of approching the question.

Keep the Captain and raise him. It's not bad and you won't miss anything by focusing on him/her as opposed to creating a new character.

Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
yep sorry for my long winded ways lol.

but thats pretty unanimous response, so I am gonna take this advice and go with current character. This was actually really helpful. Thanks to you all for for your advice and nice touch making me feel welcomed back! awesome cant wait to get going again. Thanks again, hopefully i will see you out there
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Just simple: play a Klingon
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Follow Hawks advice only if you're a masochist.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
They do have much more mission content for Klingons now. I've recently created my first
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-05-2010, 02:03 AM
While you won't go wrong continuing on your captain. I started a new toon once I hit RA5 with my first right before Season 2 landed and I'm having more fun levelling her (currently Lt.Cmdr 5) than I did with my original as there seems a little more variety in mission types etc now