Lt. Commander
# 171
08-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Yeah, I'm sure. If it seems too light to you, feel free to use a darker shade. But I've tested the colors in the game while watching the films and pausing to check against the lighting in the different sets and matching them against different locations in the game. My friends have helped test and agree with the choice.

The problem may be that some areas in the game are really far too bright. The Requisitions room (where the Tailor is located) happens to be one of them. The central area of the Club is another. The lighting in these areas really needs to be dimmed a bit but no one has complained loud enough for the devs to change it.

Made that color change and played with the lighter color through a few missions to give it a fair showing in truly varied lighting conditions... you're right, it's the lighter grey. I was wrong and bow to your awesomeness!

Seriously, though, this thread needs to be a sticky and not just in my bookmarks.
Lt. Commander
# 172
08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Black - any chance that you might do up the DS9 Klingon uniforms, or are they essentially the same as the TNG ones?
Lt. Commander
# 173
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKindness View Post
Black - any chance that you might do up the DS9 Klingon uniforms, or are they essentially the same as the TNG ones?
I think they're essentially the same as the TNG ones for the most part, but it's been a little bit since I watched those episodes. I'll rewatch DS9 soon to check. There may be some color differentials I can work with. Klingons do appear a lot in that show, even as extras in episodes that have nothing to do with them.

Lt. Commander
# 174 Canon Starships and Bridges
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Do you want to make sure you are using a canon starship? Are you unsure of which are canon and which are new additions specific to the game? Do you not remember which windows or skin the ships had in the series? Well, here's a list of the starships in the game to help you.

Since there is nothing special about the coloration of starships to be canon I figured I would forgo the pictures and just give an old fashioned listing of which ships are canon and which are not. This should help a lot of players stay in canon starships for their entire career without having to go back and forth from Memory Alpha to research them all, because I did all the research for you.

For canon ships I've listed them with the most accurate windows and material to make them look correct. For canon and logic refits, I've based these choices off of the ship of which the class is a refit. For soft canon (from the books) and for non-canon ships I've listed the selections I believe make the ships appear as close to canon as possible.

A word on Logic Refits: These are Starships that while not being canon can be reasonably assumed to be within canon progression over the 30 years between the time of the series and films and that of the game. In other words, if the series and films had continued to evolve over the last 30 years leading up to the game, these are refits that might have been created for them.

For Federation Starship colors go with white and white or stick with the default grays. If you want a pattern, stick with the Corvus design. It's the only one that can really be considered near-canon as it is really just a gradient overlay. Going with no pattern at all would be more accurate to canon however.

For Klingon Ship colors use color that appear to be slightly darker than the hull material. If you want a pattern, go with Corvus, Gemini, Leo or Orion. When colored properly these appear closest to fitting with canon. Again however, going with no pattern at all would be more accurate to canon.

A Canon Bridges listing has also been added. This will show you which bridges are closest to fitting with their actual canon counterparts. While some of these may not actually be canon, they give that canon feeling when used with the proper ships.

Canon Starship Listing

Canon Bridges Listing

In reviewing and revising the Canon Starships listing I did take into account many concerns expressed about mistakes I had previously made. Hopefully you will find this listing much more accurate. If anyone feels I've made any further mistakes please let me know so I can correct them.

I hope this helps you all.
Enjoy!

Lt. Commander
# 175
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
The Veteran (200 days) Uniforms have been added to the 25th Century section all. Check them out. Though they aren't the Alternate Future (AGT) uniforms I wanted, they are still pretty damn kool.

Lt. Commander
Blackvaar, I've been watching your thread and it's really impressive work!

With the ability to purchase extra costume slots for all my characters I just went and "wasted" a lot of money and bought a bunch of extra slots. Then for my primary character (who just reached VA1 last night, yay me! ), using your wonderful color specs I made the following uniforms:

• Combat (A "padded jerkin" type custom uni in Aggressive stance that looks good under my Kit)
  • Fleet (My fleet's uni, I didn't make this one, but like it, especially w/the new Emblem - woot!)
  • Off Duty (something I threw together, don't like it yet)
  • TOS Command Gold
  • TOS Captain's Variant Green (I added a MU Gold Sash)
  • MU First Officer's Variant Gold
  • TOS WoK Command
  • TOS WoK Command Open (stance: Relaxed)
  • TNG Command Red
  • TNG Film Command Red
  • DS9 Command Red
  • VOY Command Red
  • STO Lemming Uni
  • Vice Admiral Jacket Uniform
Man. I didn't realize how costume crazy I am. lol. I'm unhappy with my Off-Duty uni. I don't really like the choices STO gives us. I'll try out the new ones you posted and see if any of yours work for me.

Anyway, I have some questions for you:

The last on my list (the Lemming) is my version of what I think the generic officers wandering around my interiors are wearing. I see that you have the 25th Century Uniforms, do you know which on your list would best match the generic interior lemmings? I'd like them to be the same.

Is it me or can you not add a rank to the WoK unis? And on the image, the pre-made "pips" that are there, don't look right, like they're torn off... Is that a bug or it supposed to look like that?

The 200 Day Veteran Reward looks great! Thanks for color-coding that. I won't get that for a few more weeks, but I'm looking forward to it (did it come with another slot, or do you have to add a slot?)

As I mentioned, I just got to VA1 last night. Boy it's a pain (and kind of expensive) to go back through all my costumes to change the rank insignia. heh. I really can't decide on what colors to go with on my new VA1 jacket. Have you the coding for that?

I hope you'll be coding the colors for the upcoming Formal wear and Merc unis.

Anyway, again thanks for the hard work!

/VOTE AGAIN FOR STICKY!!!
Lt. Commander
# 177
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Black,

I can not thank you enough for devoting both the time and energy to these items. Every time I even think of changing my character's uniform, I come to you first.

I'd send you a bottle of Dom as a thank you if I could
Lt. Commander
# 178
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Blackvaar, I've been watching your thread and it's really impressive work!

With the ability to purchase extra costume slots for all my characters I just went and "wasted" a lot of money and bought a bunch of extra slots. Then for my primary character (who just reached VA1 last night, yay me! ), using your wonderful color specs I made the following uniforms:

• Combat (A "padded jerkin" type custom uni in Aggressive stance that looks good under my Kit)
  • Fleet (My fleet's uni, I didn't make this one, but like it, especially w/the new Emblem - woot!)
  • Off Duty (something I threw together, don't like it yet)
  • TOS Command Gold
  • TOS Captain's Variant Green (I added a MU Gold Sash)
  • MU First Officer's Variant Gold
  • TOS WoK Command
  • TOS WoK Command Open (stance: Relaxed)
  • TNG Command Red
  • TNG Film Command Red
  • DS9 Command Red
  • VOY Command Red
  • STO Lemming Uni
Man. I didn't realize how costume crazy I am. lol. I'm unhappy with my Off-Duty uni. I don't really like the choices STO gives us. I'll try out the new ones you posted and see if any of yours work for me.

Anyway, I have some questions for you:

The last on my list (the Lemming) is my version of what I think the generic officers wandering around my interiors are wearing. I see that you have the 25th Century Uniforms, do you know which on your list would best match the generic interior lemmings? I'd like them to be the same.

Is it me or can you not add a rank to the WoK unis? And on the image, the pre-made "pips" that are there, don't look right, like they're torn off... Is that a bug or it supposed to look like that?

The 200 Day Veteran Reward looks great! Thanks for color-coding that. I won't get that for a few more weeks, but I'm looking forward to it (did it come with another slot, or do you have to add a slot?)

As I mentioned, I just got to VA1 last night. Boy it's a pain (and kind of expensive) to go back through all my costumes to change the rank insignia. heh. I really can't decide on what colors to go with on my new VA1 jacket. Have you the coding for that?

I hope you'll be coding the colors for the upcoming Formal wear and Merc unis.

Anyway, again thanks for the hard work!

/VOTE AGAIN FOR STICKY!!!
Nice. Impressive number of uniforms for a single character. You outdid me.

In answer to your queries,

The most common uniform worn by NPC "lemmings" (I assume by this you mean the ones that have no function other than to walk around and fill space) is the A-02 uniform.

The WoK uniform has a set rank of Captain. It cannot be changed as it is actually part of the uniform, not a separate piece. The rank on that uniform has always looked a bit messed up. It is not supposed to look like that. Hopefully when the devs get around to creating a full set of ranks for that uniform, they will fix that as well.

The Veteran uniform did not come with a bonus costume slot. I haven't officially got a slot for it yet, but I have it Saved for later use.

Grats on reaching VA! I haven't yet done the coding for the VA uniform. I'm not quite there yet. I should be able to get there within the next week. When I do, I assure you that uniform will be added to the guide.

I do plan on adding both the Formal Wear and the Mercenary uniforms to the guide. I'll have to see them first to see what real canon outfits they resemble, but I've got lots of ideas from TNG and VOY for them color-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingomi View Post
Black,

I can not thank you enough for devoting both the time and energy to these items. Every time I even think of changing my character's uniform, I come to you first.

I'd send you a bottle of Dom as a thank you if I could
You're very welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful.

Lt. Commander
# 179
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
More nice work! I think the Aurora class is sort of canon though, its saucer section does appear in an alternate future: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Rhode_Island Just food for thought.
Lt. Commander
# 180
08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Nice. Impressive number of uniforms for a single character. You outdid me.
Yeah. I've got a a couple of mild OCDs. One is for point of detail, which is why I like your Guide so much. The other is a tendency to Collect Things. Poof - Instant Completist. One of Each For Me, ya know? At least on some things. I've managed to focus myself to virtual collections (saves money, heh compared to say when I used to collect Comics, Action Figures, and other useless brik-a-brak. ). So in STO, it turns out I've got a hankerin' for the Uniforms. I can't tell ya how happy I am that they made the Costume mod affect one's full account. Cuz I can has the other colors (Sci/Eng) on my alternates (who are in other Professions, naturally), and that satisfies my craziness. I still need to get that Alternate Gray TNG and I think a couple others, but I'm pacing myself. >Insert Mad Hatter Crazy Laugh< Ahem.

Anywho...

Quote:
...The most common uniform worn by NPC "lemmings" (I assume by this you mean the ones that have no function other than to walk around and fill space) is the A-02 uniform.
Yes, thems the Lemmings to which I so lovingly refer. I know the real life rodent charges in packs to suicide (or was that a myth >shrug< ), but there used to be a game a couple decades ago called Lemmings and the little pixeled dudes would just blindly walk back-n-forth. The first time I watched one of my Space-Filling-Crew walk mindlessly to and fo across a corridor, I immediately thought Lemmings! So cool, A-02. That might be what I have for them already. Next time I'm at the tailor I'll make sure. Thank you!

Quote:
The WoK uniform has a set rank of Captain. It cannot be changed as it is actually part of the uniform, not a separate piece. The rank on that uniform has always looked a bit messed up. It is not supposed to look like that. Hopefully when the devs get around to creating a full set of ranks for that uniform, they will fix that as well.
Ah, ok, so it wasn't just me. Thanks for explaining. Yeah, hopefully, "someday" they'll fix it. In fact, someone opened a thread about it earlier today.

Quote:
The Veteran uniform did not come with a bonus costume slot. I haven't officially got a slot for it yet, but I have it Saved for later use.
Drat. They do that on purpose ya know? Hmm... I guess I'll have to buy a couple more slots when I hit 200.

Quote:
Grats on reaching VA! I haven't yet done the coding for the VA uniform. I'm not quite there yet. I should be able to get there within the next week. When I do, I assure you that uniform will be added to the guide.
Thanks. Sweet! Don't rush. Enjoy the skill points while ya still gets 'em! I'll be waiting patiently. The nice thing is, the VA1 promotion comes with 1 uniform slot, so your new jacket can go there.

Quote:
I do plan on adding both the Formal Wear and the Mercenary uniforms to the guide. I'll have to see them first to see what real canon outfits they resemble, but I've got lots of ideas from TNG and VOY for them color-wise.
Right on! That's what I'd hope you'd say! How much ya wanna bet, we pay to unlock these unis and they won't come with a costume slot, you'll have to buy that separately.

Now I haven't seen it, but I understand that as Ambassador in the FDC we unlock a new uniform. Is that true, do you know?