Lt. Commander
# 1 Space weapons need an overhaul
08-02-2010, 01:32 PM
It is quite clear that the space weapons in this game need rebalancing. I wonder why it has not happened already though? I mean, there have been other significant content updates and patches in the last few months, so why would it be so hard to tweek a few numbers on the weapon stats?

It seems as though the developers have tried to keep all of the weapons balanced (though I don't think even this was succesful) despite the fact that some *should* be better than others, based on their cost of upgrading. I mean, polaron beams *should* outclass phasers, and it should be up to the player to decide whether they want to allocate their SP into their beam weapons or somewhere else. As it stands now, there is little reason to go with anything other than phasers and disruptors, as all the procs are essentially useless.

The torpedoes are even worse. Anything other than photon and quantum have been rendered either unuseable or useable at a moderate loss of combat effectiveness. I use plasma energy weapons and transphasic torpedoes, just because I think they are cool, but I wish they would improve both of them so that I don't feel like I am losing an edge by not having the phaser/quantum loadout. As other posters have suggested, increase damage and shield penetration (not to mention speed of movement) would help remedy the situation.

So, given the widespread agreement of these issues by the fans, and the apparent relative ease of making the change, why has nothing been done? Am I grossly underestimating the trouble involved in making the change? Or is there some other aspect of the current weapon stats that I am neglecting to take account of?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Agree with the above. The entire space weapon system needs a massive overhaul. Perhaps group all the energy weapons under the same skill points investment column if Cryptic insists on maintaining weapon parity.

Torpedoes are far too weak vs. raised shields, even though ST-canon clearly demonstrates them as affective vs. shielded targets. Suggestion: Allow torpedoes to deal more damage to shields by reducing the latter's inherently high kinetic damage reduction.

Also, different torpedo launchers should not have shared cooldowns. The current shared torpedo cooldown system makes it impossible to mix torpedo types, like photons and tricobalts, since firing one would impose a ridiculous 1 minute delay on the other, even though they are being launched from different tubes.

These changes should allow for greater ship design variety. At the moment, beam boats are plentiful, but torpedo boats are nonexistent.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
These changes should allow for greater ship design variety. At the moment, beam boats are plentiful, but torpedo boats are nonexistent.[/quote]

There's plenty of torp boats out there and they do work. Most of the other weapons if you put the skill points into them will out class most phaser boats and disrupter boats.

A good torp boat will drain your shield with tacyon beam then he will fire about 4 torps into your hull with high yeild torp 3 after he strips your shield down with phasers or tetrion cannons your only counter is brace for impact.

With Cap skills and the right weapon you can get 12% crit rato. huge in game advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
please delete back button mistake
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerymus View Post
It is quite clear ... given the widespread agreement of these issues by the fans...the apparent relative ease of making the change
Provide some evidence for any of those statements.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I would like it if Tricobalts had a 30 sec cooldown and moved a little faster.......but thats probably not gonna happen heh.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
Agree with the above. The entire space weapon system needs a massive overhaul. Perhaps group all the energy weapons under the same skill points investment column if Cryptic insists on maintaining weapon parity.

Torpedoes are far too weak vs. raised shields, even though ST-canon clearly demonstrates them as affective vs. shielded targets. Suggestion: Allow torpedoes to deal more damage to shields by reducing the latter's inherently high kinetic damage reduction.

Also, different torpedo launchers should not have shared cooldowns. The current shared torpedo cooldown system makes it impossible to mix torpedo types, like photons and tricobalts, since firing one would impose a ridiculous 1 minute delay on the other, even though they are being launched from different tubes.

These changes should allow for greater ship design variety. At the moment, beam boats are plentiful, but torpedo boats are nonexistent.
But then they need to lower tactical crit dmg. Too high atm.