Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
i like the current ground combat.
You're also Undine SCUM! j/k :p

I don't mind the current ground combat (I don't think it's as bad as people say), but I think having this FPS option and pulling the combat more to a free form (as in no targeting) format would further diversify STO from other MMOs out there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Well I'm all for this or "Over the Shoulder" Resident Evil style (which allows for realistically sized environments because the camera is locked really close.

I hesitate on doing this right now because in first person mode you can't look beyond things without actually taking your body over there. It's a gimp when there's a 1st person and 3rd person option. I'd hope they'd not give us the option.
that and in pvp 3rd person always wins.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackXX View Post
You're also Undine SCUM! j/k :p

I don't mind the current ground combat (I don't think it's as bad as people say), but I think having this FPS option and pulling the combat more to a free form (as in no targeting) format would further diversify STO from other MMOs out there.
lets pretend a undine player faction is out... go design me a fps view from a undine player
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW, just shows you how amazing the detail on the weapons is. Very uber
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
This looks completely reasonable. In fact, I think the first-person view could raise the excitement level in ground combat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieleah View Post
DO IT. Seriously. This would also eliminate the complaint from Cryptic about how the camera system 'forces' them to make ship corridors 2x too big in every direction.
No, it wouldn't eliminate that at all. Just read dstahl's posts about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
i like the current ground combat.
I do too. I most certainly do NOT want an FPS game. If I did, I would have bought an FPS game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
No, it wouldn't eliminate that at all. Just read dstahl's posts about it.
Maybe not the corridor width, but ceiling changes might be possible... but not if you made it an option, then you would need to keep them the same. Ahhh well, either way i would definately play in "FPS" view.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehedra View Post
Would be great to see FPS like combat on the ground, would definitely change the feel of STO so that it doesn't feel like a more simplistic version of WoW.
I disagree. The issues with ground combat would still be there in a first person view. So the feel of the combat, other than aesthetics which would wear off pretty quickly, would remain the same.

The holds ... the quick kills ... the maps ... the shooting through walls ... all of those ground PVP issues would still exist. They might be worse in first person view since your view gets limited.

The NPCs, the shooting through shields, the dual pistol and auto assault spam would all still be there in ground PVE.

The kits would still be the same. Ground powers would all still be the same. Orbital Strike would still be weak. The delay for breaking holds with hypos would still be there and still get bugged. Swordmasters would still cuisinart you.

The screenshots look great. But they won't change what's wrong with ground combat. They'll just let you see it differently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I disagree. The issues with ground combat would still be there in a first person view. So the feel of the combat, other than aesthetics which would wear off pretty quickly, would remain the same.

The holds ... the quick kills ... the maps ... the shooting through walls ... all of those ground PVP issues would still exist. They might be worse in first person view since your view gets limited.

The NPCs, the shooting through shields, the dual pistol and auto assault spam would all still be there in ground PVE.

The kits would still be the same. Ground powers would all still be the same. Orbital Strike would still be weak. The delay for breaking holds with hypos would still be there and still get bugged. Swordmasters would still cuisinart you.

The screenshots look great. But they won't change what's wrong with ground combat. They'll just let you see it differently.

I agree that the issues would still be there with many of the things you listed. I do not believe though, that this change is in response to trying to fix those bugs. It is to try to change the game play so that it does not feel like a cheap knock off of WoW which this would definitely do.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.