Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I only partly agree with the OP.

The C-Store is not an atrocious idea -- it's a little discomfiting what with the subscription we pay. I can see, however, that this is a very customizable-content-intensive game, in that you aren't merely changing textures (like you do with a lot of the costumes in CoX (and even they charge for some of the more recent costume additions)) you're changing character models. This is pretty resource-intensive, so -- based on how $15 ten years ago should be $20 these days -- I can see how some additional revenue to keep more modellers on staff is necessary.

I am even not too unhappy with the amount of stuff being put into the C-Store compared to released content. There's very little the CapnLogan has to do with scripting new missions or coding new tech or debugging stuff. He models ships; that's what he does. In fact it would not surprise me if C-Store revenue is paying for CapnLogan.

HOWEVER... There are a few things I'm uncomfortable with regarding the C-Store. We have not yet heard back from dstahl about the proposal made to convert merits to C-Points, though judging by the introduction of Emblems and their use in unlocking additional ships, and that the T5 Excelsior is explicity excluded from that, I'm guessing that idea didn't take flight. This flies in the face of the original intention that things in the C-Store would be available through in-game actions. (And no, the 500 emblem grind does not bother me all that much, though it IS a lot.) Some sort of explanation as to what happened there would be appreciated but I doubt one will be forthcoming, which is unfortunate.

I would *very* much like for them to release more content, particularly more Klingon content. If this game had released when it was ready -- say, a year after it did release -- then we would not have nearly the content issues that we do now. Instead, now in addition to generating content, the team has to go bug hunting as well as introduce more and new content, and do that while the servers are 'live' which limits how many changes they can add and how much testing they can do. I do not think -- at this time -- that C-Store content vastly outweighs in-game content, though it sure can look that way. And if they aren't careful, it CAN get that way very quickly. It is a situation that deserves close watching and which needs to be very carefully balanced, especially since it is torquing off a lot of players. Wether they're justified in feeling angry or not is immaterial; there are players who are angry and they need to have their concerns addressed.

One final note: Open PvP does not seem to be desired by the majority of the playerbase, and a new shard seems unlikely. I will, however, gladly support RvR sector blocks that do not include PvE content, possibly as part of the Sector Space revamping. In fact such sectors could even entice people who are not normally into PvP into trying it out. (And while they're at it, cojoin the borders of the Romulans and the Klingons, so they can get in on that RvR action as well when they're introduced as a playable faction. Then do the same for the Breen, Feds, and Cardies.)

(This last idea does get me to ponder that one of the reasons why so many people are upset is because there is SO MUCH that can be done with the franchise in an MMO! and yet the one-year-too-early, contractually-obligated release (thanks so gorram much, Atari and CBS!) will negatively color the game for longer than a year.)

Anyway *shrug* my two centicredits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
08-10-2010, 01:11 AM
This is one heated argument. Hope Cryptic is reading this
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
08-10-2010, 02:53 AM
i cant believe u try to include the galaxy X in your aguement

it is $25 for a reason

it was a recruiting bonus, till you all whined about havign to recruit! so cryptic put it in the c-store, the high price is to reflect how scarce it should have been from the referall program and how the $25 would equate to getting the 5 people in to play which cryptic would lose out on as the complainers wouldnt do it and demanded it in the c-store. if i were cryptic id have put it on for more!

sure they are selling extra races etc... so? i think the extra races are great and most of the things in the cstore are so cheap compared to other mmos.... 20 horse in wow anyone???

if you dont like whats in the c-store dont buy it none of the stuff in there is life changing! the only reason so much stuff is in now is because people rant for them in 100s of useless threads!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdman22 View Post
i cant believe u try to include the galaxy X in your aguement

it is $25 for a reason

it was a recruiting bonus, till you all whined about havign to recruit! so cryptic put it in the c-store, the high price is to reflect how scarce it should have been from the referall program and how the $25 would equate to getting the 5 people in to play which cryptic would lose out on as the complainers wouldnt do it and demanded it in the c-store. if i were cryptic id have put it on for more!

sure they are selling extra races etc... so? i think the extra races are great and most of the things in the cstore are so cheap compared to other mmos.... 20 horse in wow anyone???

if you dont like whats in the c-store dont buy it none of the stuff in there is life changing! the only reason so much stuff is in now is because people rant for them in 100s of useless threads!
If you'd even bother to read the thread before you posted, then you would have seen that I said someone explained the recruiting thing to me and that I wasn't nearly as irritated about the Galaxy-X as when I originally posted. But I guess that would take effort, kind of like using more than one or two punctuation marks in your entire post. =P

My problem, as I've said at least once or twice in this thread (again, try actually reading before you post) isn't that they're releasing stuff for sale; it's that it feels like they're release too much stuff for sale. I don't think it would be asking too much that we get a couple of playable races for free. Tellerites, for example, have been around since TOS. Ferengi in Starfleet have a canon basis in DS9, and you see Klingons in Starfleet in TNG, DS9 (Worf), and Voyager (B'ellana, even if she were only half). I think those should have been given to us. Caitans, for example, I can understand putting in the C-Store; they were rarely ever seen and not iconic. I'll reiterate in case the number of times I've said it already somehow left some confusion; I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE C-STORE'S EXISTENCE AND/OR USE. I have a problem with the amount of content in the C-Store and I think some of what is in there should have been given to us instead of sold to us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkinFencer10 View Post
If you'd even bother to read the thread before you posted, then you would have seen that I said someone explained the recruiting thing to me and that I wasn't nearly as irritated about the Galaxy-X as when I originally posted. But I guess that would take effort, kind of like using more than one or two punctuation marks in your entire post. =P

My problem, as I've said at least once or twice in this thread (again, try actually reading before you post) isn't that they're releasing stuff for sale; it's that it feels like they're release too much stuff for sale. I don't think it would be asking too much that we get a couple of playable races for free. Tellerites, for example, have been around since TOS. Ferengi in Starfleet have a canon basis in DS9, and you see Klingons in Starfleet in TNG, DS9 (Worf), and Voyager (B'ellana, even if she were only half). I think those should have been given to us. Caitans, for example, I can understand putting in the C-Store; they were rarely ever seen and not iconic. I'll reiterate in case the number of times I've said it already somehow left some confusion; I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE C-STORE'S EXISTENCE AND/OR USE. I have a problem with the amount of content in the C-Store and I think some of what is in there should have been given to us instead of sold to us.

just because i dont use punctuation marks doesn't make my point less valid. and i try to read as much of all the posts i can but there is that much ******** that it gets difficult to keep up most of the time. but yes they could release a few things free now and again but i doubt much will change any time soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdman22 View Post
just because i dont use punctuation marks doesn't make my point less valid. and i try to read as much of all the posts i can but there is that much ******** that it gets difficult to keep up most of the time. but yes they could release a few things free now and again but i doubt much will change any time soon.
Calm down. He was just pointing out, it is kinda hard to read your posts without punctuation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
08-26-2010, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
Dstahl even admits himself that there is no seperate team for the C-Store.
So yes, EVERY item in the C-Store does take away content and bug fixes from the game.
All your quote showed was the a ship artist gets tied up making c store ships. The ship artist is not going to be fixing bugs if he has no ships to make. He's going to either be doing nothing, or if they did put him on free ships, then it would still be adding something to the game while there are bugs to be fixed. Kinda like the refit ships, you get one for free a VA and can earn the others for free, or buy them with cash. No one complained that they were making new free content while there were still bugs to be fixed. Kinda ironic, it's ok to make new stuff for free, but when they charge for things that's "taking man power away from bug fixing"

Now for the OP. Here is basically what you are asking for when you complain about the C-Store. Hey Cryptic you have this store and its making money because a lot of people are willing to pay for extra fluff. Why don't you stop making this extra money because it is hurting some people's feelings. Stop caring entirely about the paying customers who want to pay you more money, and start caring more about your customers who never want to give you a dime beyond the subscription price. It's wrong for a game developer to make money selling their product. Your role is after all to provide free content to all the under privileged trekkies of the world.


Gee, I wonder why they don't listen to you.

The C-Store will go away as soon as people stop buying from it. Just like any other store in the world.
And many of the people that complain about it still buy things from it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdman22 View Post
just because i dont use punctuation marks doesn't make my point less valid.
Yes, it does.

I may just be a grammar Nazi here, but spelling and punctuation make posts easier to read. We, as English speaking Humans, have agreed to communicate using certain standards. To completely ignore those standards shows that you either don't care enough about your reader to properly communicate with him (or her), or haven't put the time into your post that normal thinking individuals do and therefore did not proofread it before posting. Thus, you show that you had no interest in checking if your point made sense and was intelligible. Proofreading is a process designed to force us to think about what we write rather than just post it without a second thought. Your skipping it shows that you did not think about your post a second time and your reader will be inclined to assume that you posted it in frustration rather than actually considering it like an intelligent human being.

In short, punctuation marks mean you actually thought about your post.

(Just my personal pet peeve, please return to your regularly scheduled gripe)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
The C-store is optional. Don't want it? Don't buy it. It isn't as though they don't add things to the game for free. Just ignore the C-store if you don't like it.
except that it isn't optional. not if you want the full content of the game. cosmetic or not the simple fact is its content you have to buy if you want to have all the options the game can provide. now I don't know about you but i'd never pay, what, $140 or so at present? in order to get content that should already be in the game that i'm already paying to play
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 PM.