Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
The reason these ships will a buy only type thing is they need to CBS royalties for using Canon ships. Every ahip that isn't a cryptic original costs cryptic more money because CBS asks for money in return to use the design. The only way cryptic will get most of that money back to recoup the cost of royalties is through microtransactions. CBS has their fingers in this game, every Cryptic original has to be approved by CBS so that there is no kit bashing going on from canon ships that would cause CBS to miss out on any royalties.
I think they bought the IP ? That most certainly included ships. Any evidence to the contrary ?
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
I think they bought the IP ? That most certainly included ships. Any evidence to the contrary ?
They haven't bought the IP, CBS still owns it so Cryptic needs to get almost everything they do with the game cleared (uniforms, ships, species, locations etc) through CBS before adding it to the client.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
They haven't bought the IP, CBS still owns it so Cryptic needs to get almost everything they do with the game cleared (uniforms, ships, species, locations etc) through CBS before adding it to the client.
Getting clearance is not the same as paying for anything separate. But maybe CBS pulled a Cryptic at Cryptic and forced them into a monthly subscription but keeps putting the good stuff in the CBS-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Getting clearance is not the same as paying for anything separate. But maybe CBS pulled a Cryptic at Cryptic and forced them into a monthly subscription but keeps putting the good stuff in the CBS-Store.
hehe you never know
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Agreed.

I think the best way I've seen it described is this (paraphrase, couldn't find the original)

Subscription pays for :
Content A
Content B
Content C
Content D

Fans want extra content (E)

Content D workers instead work on Content E, which you are then charged for.

So, at the end of the day, you paid for

A,B,C, and D

But only got A,B,&C and are told to pay extra for Content E

OR

You paid for A,B,C,D and so they divert some of the workers to Content E

And A,B,C,D drop in quality
How do you know that the people doing stuff in the C-store are the same people doing the other stuff for game. The people working to create C-store item could be freelance artist or they could be working for Cryptic but doing these during their off-hour hence the later part if they did not work during their off-hour...
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomasach View Post
How do you know that the people doing stuff in the C-store are the same people doing the other stuff for game. The people working to create C-store item could be freelance artist or they could be working for Cryptic but doing these during their off-hour hence the later part if they did not work during their off-hour...
We know because it's the same people designing the C-Store ships that are also making the normal ships. How we know that is because those two has made posts about their work and also said so them self.

Search for Excelsior and you will find it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
ROFL when i read this i actually fell out of my chair, i just see a cryptic employee writing on a forum much like we are complaining to CBS saying "its not fair that we(cryptic) have to pay for this stuff"
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
We know because it's the same people designing the C-Store ships that are also making the normal ships. How we know that is because those two has made posts about their work and also said so them self.

Search for Excelsior and you will find it.
Yes but did you read the last part about doing them during their free time or if you want doing them when they should be taking a rest? You know overtime....
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomasach View Post
Yes but did you read the last part about doing them during their free time or if you want doing them when they should be taking a rest? You know overtime....
Where is the proof that they are actually doing that? The only facts are:

1) They are spending time making C-STORE content

and

2) The same people making regular content are making C-STORE content

Therefor, technically, it is possible either is what is actually happening. And before anyone says, "They said they are doing it in over time!" would the company really admit they are doing extra content rather than normal content?
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
No offense but I'm reading a lot of these anti-cstore posts in a 'waggh waghh!' baby voice. I agree with some of the problems, but I don't see anythign morally horrible about paying more to get more. I certainly don't see what's so horribkle about getting the pre-order things through it since that seems perfectly fair. What if you someone really wants one, and would happily have pre-ordered, but didn't find out about it until it was too late? Or simply changed their minds? It sounds like people complaining that they're not the only ones with these fancy toys.

Granted I'm biased because I haven't payed extra for any points yet, and have only used the extra ones they've given me, so as far asI'm concerned I'm not paying extra at all. Add in not actually gettign most fot he things on there.