Lt. Commander
# 11
08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser711
1) A captain is a captain is a captain, he doesn't run from the bridge to the engineering section even in times of attack, ESPECIALLY in times of attack, to ask the engineers anything, he calls orders them what to do and goes back to trying to keep the ship in one piece more or less. This is the same for all those other places he can now walk to and see his officers, maybe that is great for sitting in dock sometime.."hey lets play poker tonight" Walking onto the bridge or beaming there from a dock or planet is OK, but the second the ship starts moving you'll be so engrossed watching out the 'front screens' that you wont see around you anyways.
I have no problems with space combat as it is, but ship interiors have a lot of potential for between-mission mini-games, like repairing damage, healing crew, setting up temporary ship buffs, crafting, navigation, power optimizations, etc.

Quote:
2) ship damage from major fights: if your ship heck if ANY ship gets hit and the shields fail and the hull drops to 20% you are NOT going to repair this in space with a dozen engineers, forget it, make the ship actually have to return to space dock for major repairs, or major renovations like new engines. I don't mean Earth dock, but some major engineering facility, say any big space station.
I think it's off to a good start with Advanced and Elite levels and minor, major and critical damage. A realistic game were you take 80% damage and have to limp home if you survive would be no fun at all, but once again, doing jury-rig repairs or going to Main Engineering to assist with repairs between missions would be cool. Right now I think it's too easy to heal/repair crew and ships on the fly.

Quote:
3) crafting R&D: why the devil, in all the universe is crafting done so very rarely. Sure the Captain rarely would craft for his ship, but he'd have people on board that could, at least in emergency's, give him the ability to have them learn R&D (engineers) so they can craft engines etc at major space stations, not just one or two places.
Again, ship interiors could be used. There is an Engineering Lab on the crew deck; maybe it will be a site for future crafting. Since ships could be considered player housing, the more practical, the better.

Quote:
4) on ground missions have a little more imagination. These people aren't from this world, they just popped in for a little research or shooting some enemys, don't expect them to know their way around (OK there's usually trails to follow) But where's the animals? Snakes,birds,grazing bison, something.
I understand NPC animals are planned. I'm hoping for more mission variety myself. Right now I can quote what my BOs say before they say it.

The biggest design flaw in the game is the lack of a need for community. You can almost solo the entire game except for a few fleet actions. Grouping is not only optional, it's buggy and inconvenient. Joining a team means never having to say a word. People "Friend" you and never speak to you again. I need nothing from you and you need nothing from me. I have no great way to fix that, but it's a little late anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-16-2010, 05:24 AM
What kind of realism are we talking about here? It's been my experience that when people talk about this kind of stuff they have an idea of what they think should be done for the game, and aren't happy until it's exactly like that. However in doing so you make other players who don't agree with their ideas upset so now you have a whole new group of people upset. I'm pretty happy with the game mechanics right now, but would be happy to hear other ideas. And please no more about the lack of movement in space. I think that topic has been beaten to death in these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-16-2010, 05:55 AM
To be honest everything that has just started coming out adds realism, to some degree. The ship interiors are for example, a way to add immersion to the game allowing people to walk around in their ships between missions. The ground combat adds immersion ever though it is a little different from what many wanted to see, and even having BO's to train and work with adds some small degree of realism, not just random people we work with.

When I asked about realism I was thinking more like better balance for space fights...why should one light cruiser be able to kill 20 ships in a sector? Why can't we call for backup when we are up against a battleship that we really shouldn't be able to kill alone? Why doesn't a battleship the same level as us have more weapons than we do? Are there really battleships with the same weapons as a light cruiser? Other than a few extra torpedoes I can't see any difference. These are some of the things I was thinking about, not really things like dating or changing cloths before going to dinner, that's immersion but a little too much for a game about a war, IMO.