Lt. Commander
Seems like a lot of us are giving up. We just want content and we add "for the C-Store" to try and make it happen.

I hate the C-Store. It's pure evil. But I still find myself compromising and suggesting stuff for the C-Store when in reality, again, I hate it and believe nothing should be in it at all. The amount of content is already too small even compared to most MMOs out there to be charging me for other stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Did you get that sig from the C-Store?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I look at it like this if i can have fun with out the extra cost then fine if i want to spend a few bucks for something flashy thats for looks great. I have no issue with the C-store as long as if they have something big it can also be gotten in game as well, and so far their working pretty well with this so more power to them. There are a lot of people out there that don't have the time to grind all day everyday to get something and the c-store covers those people. If you dont want to to spend money dont they are not forceing you to do anything.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
The C-Store is a way for Cryptic to make a little extra cash in order to ensure the continuation of this game. For the most part it has cosmetic items which don't affect your gameplay in anyway. Having that extra content in-game for free won't do anything for you. It doesn't give you extra missions and it doesn't make you stronger. It simply "looks cool".

Other items such as additional slots are necessary to be sold through the C-Store. In order to give you these additional slots Cryptic needs more storage space, which costs money. You are essentially paying for a portion of that space.

I don't know what you're true problem with the C-Store is. Perhaps you want all those items and can't afford it. Maybe you want a 100% free Star Trek MMO. Whatever you're reason, that's your opinion and its fine. Just understand that the C-Store is a way to support this game even further, and I see nothing wrong with giving them a little extra support.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-16-2010, 11:52 AM
frankly, i wonder what people's problem with the C-Store is..

the general argument i see given is "that stuff should be covered by our monthly sub and should be free"

normally given by people who are willing to shell out the price of a full new game on an expansion to a game (which is also made at the same time using the money from the monthly subs)

yes, its a form of generating revenue, and i'd rather see content thats in the C-Store drip-feed into the game bit by bit over time in a way that allows you to chose what you want to have and what you dont than have it all lumped together in a package i HAVE to buy all of to get the bits i want a year after launch.

its the model the whole MMO industry is using now, and just as when expansions started happening not everyone is going to be happy about it.. i accept that, i just wish others would accept that not everyone hates it and move past it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Other items such as additional slots are necessary to be sold through the C-Store. In order to give you these additional slots Cryptic needs more storage space, which costs money. You are essentially paying for a portion of that space.
Very few MMOs charge for additional character slots; in fact most MMOs that I have played start you with at least ten slots. Personally after I used up my free pre-order I have not purchased any other Cryptic points and have no intention to. F2P use an in-game store very few P2P use such a model. I guarantee Cryptic made enough money on Lifetime-subs to run this game for 5 years or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
its the model the whole MMO industry is using now, and just as when expansions started happening not everyone is going to be happy about it.. i accept that, i just wish others would accept that not everyone hates it and move past it.
This is an overly general statement I would like to see proof that this is the model for the NA market(I understand that in Asia this is the model). None of the major MMO companies use such a model as extensive as STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
The C-Store doesn't bother me in the least. There's little of any real value or content there.

It's not like they are forcing you to buy CP to visit a new zone or to unlock new missions or *real* content.

You've got a bridge, you've got emotes, you've got playable races, you've got ships, you've got tribbles, you got character slots.

There's nothing on the C-Store you need to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't think the C-Store is the real problem. I think Cryptic is starting to look like it's "let's put everything to the C-Store". Like Attilo said, some things like slots (costume, character, or ship), I find understandable.

Outfits like that 21st Century off duty outfits when we already have so limited number to pick? REALLY? That was necessary for the C-Store? REALLY? But at least I won't buy such rubbish.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
From a business sense I really do get why companies are switching to the F2P/C-Store type models. I really do. It usually is turning out to be a cash cow.

Personally, I think the problem with it is putting highly sought after items in the store and not available directly in game. I'd rather see Cryptic-made items go into the C-Store if they just have to have it.

The claim of F2P (and I know we're not specifically talking about that here but the store feels like an element of it) or these game Stores often feel like a slap in the face to the gamers that are traditionally used to shelling out for a game and paying a monthly fee and that's it. A kind of Net Neutrality for players I guess. To me, I think that's is the biggest issue with this.

Only way you can really get them to change their business view though is to not use it and make them see it doesn't make business sense if their customers aren't going to buy into it. But I think that ship has already sailed my friends.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
No problem here with the cstore. Havent bought anything from it in say a monthish. The people who have a problem are those that want the stuff thats in it for free. As for me I havent eaten in about a week.(700 bucks on text books this semester /cry) and I dont "need" anything they have up there. Nothing Is lacking from my char thats only avail in cstore (imo)

and to answer your question

I havent heard any talk in my fleet about OMG GOTTA GET CSTORE UNIFORM NOA so I dont think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
This is an overly general statement I would like to see proof that this is the model for the NA market(I understand that in Asia this is the model). None of the major MMO companies use such a model as extensive as STO.

Guild Wars. aka NCsoft> ArenaNet w.e Go look at thier "cstore".

Ive bought almost everything in it.

i cant recall if this truly is all but heres the link

http://www.guildwars.com/products/extras/default.php