Lt. Commander
# 11
08-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Patch 2.0 is a nightmare for video cards. Whatever was changed from 1.x to 2.0 taxes the GPU. In addition to this, patching 1.x to 2.0 turned off the "Framerate Stabilizer" and "Auto-Framerate Stabilizer" options under the "Trouble Shooting" section of the Video Options. Try turning them back on. I also recommend turning on the "Reduce CPU/GPU Usage" option. This wasn't on in 1.x but I need it in 2.0 to help control GPU temps.

Re-enabling the two options that got turned off after patching to 2.0 and turning on the reduce usage option solved my NVidia problems.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
Patch 2.0 is a nightmare for video cards. Whatever was changed from 1.x to 2.0 taxes the GPU. In addition to this, patching 1.x to 2.0 turned off the "Framerate Stabilizer" and "Auto-Framerate Stabilizer" options under the "Trouble Shooting" section of the Video Options. Try turning them back on. I also recommend turning on the "Reduce CPU/GPU Usage" option. This wasn't on in 1.x but I need it in 2.0 to help control GPU temps.

Re-enabling the two options that got turned off after patching to 2.0 and turning on the reduce usage option solved my NVidia problems.
Good to know
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Ah, thanks Galtrovan, and White Knight. I have just had the technician leave the house and he replaced the graphics cards and the physx accelerator. Just the change whilst idling for both cards has dropped from 73 C to 67 C.

I was having royal fits last night actually getting the system monitor to work since it is a 3D application. Today, it seems much better (knock on wood). I have a bit more checking to go before I actually launch STO.

Since you told me about the troubleshooting tab on the graphics card in STO, that will be my first stop. I do not know how to reduce the GPU/CPU option. What exactly does that do, and where do I find it?

Also, I just tried to modify the fan control in the Control Panel to no avail...probably another error (software?)...

My question is what driver from Nvidia works best with 2.0, and what do I need to do to make sure I am only rolling that particular driver.

Secondly, if I use those steps you used on the troubleshooting tab, and such, how many degrees does it shave off with the GPUs? (anotherwards...how much cooler would it be).

Lastly, to answer White Knight, I do not feel comfortable placing my service tag number here...I guard anything like that very carefully, thanks for understanding.

Place any posts to answer my questions...And, again, thanks for your assistance...it has been above and beyond anything I have received from Cryptic...
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
The "Reduce CPU/GPU" is in the Trouble Shooting section of STO's Video options tab, the same as the other 2 options I mentioned.

As for temp reduction I don't know. I never got to the point where my GPU overheated. I could literally hear the fans ramp up in my case as soon as I got to STO's character selection screen (computer sounded like a jet engine) so I immediately knew 2.0 did something "bad" and terminated the game ASAP. After terminating the game I did my research to figure out what was changed and bug reported it while 2.0 was still Tribble only.

Last, my nVidia card is a GeForce 9800 GT using driver version 6.14.0011.9745 dated 4/3/2010 though I believe the latest July 2010 driver release is good as well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks Galtrovan...I just did Infeced with my toon 2 times...for testing purposes I maxxed out at 89C and started out at 67C...is that normal? What exactly is the danger zone there, and what is considered normal op temps for the 8800GT?

I know they put out alot of heat.... I suppose if I use Riva Tuner tomorrow (I needs a fleetie or someone to get me goin on that...not the best when it comes to this stuff the 1st time) I should be fine...If not, a PCI express card should be more than adequate....correct?