Lt. Commander
# 21
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Today with the new Q I had to wait a whopping 3 minutes to start a FvK capture and hold - the horror!

I was also able to join another one that was in progress, which I thought was rather nice. I love the new Q system. I imagine that as soon as word spreads out between ex-klink players that you can now PvP in peace without waiting 30 minutes for a match to start this will only get better.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I think we all know that the PvP population is the main issue and Nyrus Pars suggestion of Open PvP would help attract more players, but I don't think this should be the DEVs no.1 thing to do right now.

There's other things, more important things, that need to be fixed first.

With that said - I think Open PvP could be lots of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
I think we all know that the PvP population is the main issue and Nyrus Pars suggestion of Open PvP would help attract more players, but I don't think this should be the DEVs no.1 thing to do right now.

There's other things, more important things, that need to be fixed first.

With that said - I think Open PvP could be lots of fun.
And rewards for the Q systems, to bring in those that wont do it otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warem
Today with the new Q I had to wait a whopping 3 minutes to start a FvK capture and hold - the horror!

I was also able to join another one that was in progress, which I thought was rather nice. I love the new Q system. I imagine that as soon as word spreads out between ex-klink players that you can now PvP in peace without waiting 30 minutes for a match to start this will only get better.
Tbh, if you were ever waiting a long time for C&H before, you were doing something wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrus Pars
Thats why I made the thread. Everyone kept saying that this new Q system was going to fix the problem. And I kept saying it wont fix the population problem. tbh, if we had enough peeps pvping in this game, the very first Q system we had should have worked.
Maybe some very naive people believed that fixing the queue would solve everything, but the reality is that fixing the queue was never going to be sufficient to solve the problem. It was and is, however, a necessary part of the solution.

Now that they HAVE fixed the queue (hopefully), they can move on to other necessary parts of the solution.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I have to agree with Nyrus on this one, I was waiting over an hour for a PVP match today and then moved onto a Klingon Character, as well as attempting to get others from different STO ranks to attempt to find a match. The result was that nobody was able to find one with the exception of those at the Admiral ranks. As I previously said in another post, I thought one point of the update was to make it so that PVP could happen with smaller groups, considering there were 2v2 matches possible at several points, we should have been able to launch one. It happened more than once and we still weren't able to get something out of it. At the very least they could give up experience points for Challenge PVP or allow us to fight 2v2 on the Queue system.

[I know, here comes the flaming; I'm use to it at this point on the STO forum, criticism, no matter how constructive or obvious is often flamed on this forum]
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdacunha View Post
I have to agree with Nyrus on this one, I was waiting over an hour for a PVP match today and then moved onto a Klingon Character, as well as attempting to get others from different STO ranks to attempt to find a match. The result was that nobody was able to find one with the exception of those at the Admiral ranks. As I previously said in another post, I thought one point of the update was to make it so that PVP could happen with smaller groups, considering there were 2v2 matches possible at several points, we should have been able to launch one. It happened more than once and we still weren't able to get something out of it. At the very least they could give up experience points for Challenge PVP or allow us to fight 2v2 on the Queue system.
I would like to have more like a lobby system. Where players in the same queue/lobby can choose some details by voting. Stuff like: start game with lesser players (with a minimum ofc), Vote to change map (mabye?) etc.

Quote:
[I know, here comes the flaming; I'm use to it at this point on the STO forum, criticism, no matter how constructive or obvious is often flamed on this forum]
I think that the discussion in this tread have been quite mature so far.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdacunha View Post
I thought one point of the update was to make it so that PVP could happen with smaller groups, considering there were 2v2 matches possible at several points, we should have been able to launch one.
I'm pretty sure the system still has a minimum number of players before it will launch a match... as one of the devs explained it during testing, it was something like:
  • Map prefers 5v5
  • If no 5v5 spawns within X time, accept 4v4
  • If 4v4 starts but only 3 people on each side click Engage, spawn with 3v3
  • If not enough people Engage to do 3v3, fail and retry

Note that the hypothetical system above would NOT attempt to spawn a game from a starting point of 3v3, and never accepts 2v2s.

Now, this is only based on what I remember of the conversation, so it's not really safe to say it's direct from the devs, and it's totally possible I just misunderstood what they were saying or missed something in all the crazy chat scrolling.

But, it would explain why your 2v2 never popped, and why a 3v3 might not either.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
I'm pretty sure the system still has a minimum number of players before it will launch a match... as one of the devs explained it during testing, it was something like:
  • Map prefers 5v5
  • If no 5v5 spawns within X time, accept 4v4
  • If 4v4 starts but only 3 people on each side click Engage, spawn with 3v3
  • If not enough people Engage to do 3v3, fail and retry

Note that the hypothetical system above would NOT attempt to spawn a game from a starting point of 3v3, and never accepts 2v2s.

Now, this is only based on what I remember of the conversation, so it's not really safe to say it's direct from the devs, and it's totally possible I just misunderstood what they were saying or missed something in all the crazy chat scrolling.

But, it would explain why your 2v2 never popped, and why a 3v3 might not either.
The original Q system they had was the best. it could be 1 v 5 but both sides could leave and also others were allowed in. Nice and simple.
The more complicated it gets the less pops we will get. Just my opinion
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
It's an easy thing to fix, surely? Offer one queue per gametype and do not let the player specify FvF or FvK. If there are enough people for an FvK then run that. If not, make the game population smaller or make an FvF game. Most console matchmaking systems do this.