Lt. Commander
# 491
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I would disagree with this, strongly.

Vespid are grossly overcosted, and a niche unit at best. Basically they're designed as fast-moving assaulters with Fleet, but the problem is that 1) they're going to tie up a lot of points that need to be funneled into your Elites and Heavy Support slots, and 2) they take up a valuable Fast Attack slot that needs to go to Pathfinders or Piranhas.

If they made Vespid Stingwings a Troops choice and upped the max squad size, then decreased their per-model cost a bit, they'd be worth it.

As it is, they're a point sink.

And they need a plastic model range. :p
I emphasized 'might' because I can kinda almost see them come in handy in a couple instances, but generally you'd be better off with straight Tau.
Lt. Commander
# 492
08-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
I emphasized 'might' because I can kinda almost see them come in handy in a couple instances, but generally you'd be better off with straight Tau.
Whilst I don't exactly want a multi-race Tau army, I would like to hear the uses they might have Raven? Nothing wrong with knowing where they might come in handy ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 493
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Vespids are very effective blockers for Fire Warriors. They intercept melee units before they can get into close combat with FW, which is handy if the FW don't have a Devilfish to escape in or have to stay and hold an objective.

They also fit the bill for any fast-moving assault unit, but are best used as interceptors. This is especially true since they have Fleet, giving them an 18+d6" assault range.

But this also makes them, like I said before, a niche unit at best, with a very narrow spectrum of applications... which is why I would never take them in an all-comers list.

Edit: That said, it's worth mentioning that I AM considering getting a unit of Vespids (need the cash first, they're all metal models that come in boxes of 3) just in case they become useful (specifically, more useful than piranhas) when the Tau get a codex update. Which could be a few years away... so I'm in no hurry.

They also look fun to paint.
Lt. Commander
# 494
08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I seeee~ does kinda make them sound pretty useful, at least on some occasions, but I want ideally to have a rank and file army of Tau and armoured support.

They're the Tau'N sept (White/black/grey paint scheme)

Oh, on that note, any of you with tips etc for painting primarily white armoured units and armour? I always find it hard to get that solid white colour, tried two different styles (suggested by local store guy) but sometimes it's kinda streaky in a way...
Lt. Commander
# 495
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I got a tip: don't do it.

Painting white armor is an enormous pain in the ass. My 3400 points of Space Marines? White armor.

I primed them white, which made it easier, but white does not cover the plain gray plastic well, so the spray would clump up when I tried to get good coverage or otherwise leave a lot of gray showing through, and I'd have to coat it twice or three times with a brush anyway.

Go with a Tau sept that doesn't use white armor if you ask me.

My Tau are all of the Vior'la sept. Raven's a fan of Tash'var.
Lt. Commander
# 496
08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
OOooh, well, no intention of them changing their colour scheme, just gonna bite my tongue and keep on going. Other than the Tanks, spraying with white as the base, and then building up a couple of coats and then doing the darker parts, building that back up, THEN doing the armour piece gaps with a detail brush... works... and once a proper "factory mass production" going, they get done pretty fast.
Lt. Commander
# 497
08-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I started with a white and dark blue scheme for my Guard, but switched to a burgundy red and forest green scheme. Make one whoops on the dark blue and it could take a couple layers to fully cover it with white.

Another interesting Sept is Elsy'eir, which is more of a cultural then a military planet allowing you to possibly develop a warrior-poet kind of unit.
Lt. Commander
# 498
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
...you do realize that the Templars are an Imperial Fists successor chapter, right?
Yes, that's why I said they're the only Fists gene-seed Chapter I like. The main Imperial Fists, I don't. :p

Quote:
That's the first I've ever heard of Crimson Fists not using the Vanilla 'dex, that's kind of weird... I really don't see how they work as Blood Angels. You gotta have lots of Sternguard for a Crimson Fists list, and Pedro to make them scoring units. The Crimson Fists have never been a CC-centric chapter - quite the opposite - whereas Blood Angels are basically nothing but CC.
Well, you don't HAVE to run them with Pedro and lots of Sternguard, that's just the template. But yeah, it was a little odd. It wasn't really a CC army anyway, other than having Mephiston, I think. (I didn't start watching the game until about halfway through, as I was watching another)

Quote:
I'm curious as to how long it took you to collect 20,000 points of Marines... that's damned impressive, sir.
I've been at this for almost eight years now. The only expansions I've made this year is some 5th Company stuff, namely my Thunderwolf Equivalent unit, and my two HQs for that list. Also a Tactical Squad using some of the new BA bitz, but that's just replacing losses. Oh, and I built a third Assault Squad for my main Battle Company, and did some jetpack Vanguard Vets to go on my display shelf (as they're just way too expensive to use normally).

But yeah, I have a full "Battle Company" (six Tactical, three Assault, two Devastator), plus Command (Captain, 9-man Command Squad, and Chaplain), plus mechanized elements (full transports, three Land Raiders, four Predators, three Vindicators, six Dreadnoughts, etc.) and support elements (tons of Veterans and Terminators, two Scout Squads, Techmarines, multiple Librarians, etc.) to represent the Lords of Oblivion 3rd Company. I actually almost have enough to represent the full 1st Company too (all 36 suits of Terminator armor plus twenty PA vets). Also a sizable force from the 8th Company, i.e. an all-Biker army (with about 40 bikes built), plus multiple other Captains (2nd, 4th, and the aforementioned 5th), the Chapter HQ (Chapter Master in TDA and five more Terminators) and a squad of Grey Knights. So, all told, around 20,000 points, if not more.

Granted, only about 1/3 of that is actually fully painted. I still have a LONG ways to go, ha ha ha. But I took a huge step forward with this last tournament, I got four of my Tactical Squads and their Rhinos either done or just about so, which gets me a bit closer.
Lt. Commander
# 499
08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Have you ever considered running your 1st Company using the Dark Angels 'dex, with Deathwing rules?

Or do you use Logan and the "Wolf Wing" build from the Space Wolves 'dex for them?
Lt. Commander
# 500
08-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Thanks again for the tips look forward to amassing some more troops =D