Lt. Commander
# 511
08-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
I found a nifty ship scale chart out on the web and plopped it into the beginning of the Klingon and Romulan sections and in the Defiant section.
Have you seen the Federation Fleet Chart at 'Ex Astris Scientia'?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/fleet-charts.htm

Probably the best one in terms of accuracy - Bernd Schneider's done some great work in balancing the various on-screen discrepancies to come up with ship/station sizes that make sense.

I wonder how much better things like DS9 and K7 would look if they followed this scaling chart - hmm...

Quote:
That is intentional on the part of the devs, though the reasoning behind it has more holes in it than swiss cheese.
What was their reasoning? If it's as daft as the 'it feels right' response for DS9's ludicrous size, or the '3rd person camera won't allow it' excuse for the massively over-sized interiors (clearly none of the Devs ever played 'Star Wars: KotOR'...), then my head might explode...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiric_hoshi View Post
Its basicaly along the same lines as the stupidly over-sized ship interriors. We know they can be scaled down without camera issues, and its highly probable that we could have ships twice the size as they currently are without it being largely detrimental to performance, but Cryptic have convinced themselves of something and will defend that decision to the hilt.
Most succinct take on it I've read thus far - bravo, sir!
Lt. Commander
# 512
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
I wonder how much better things like DS9 and K7 would look if they followed this scaling chart - hmm...

Yeah, the massive size of K7 and DS9 really do break immersion for me. I'd love it if they fell in with this size chart

http://imgur.com/8wbxu.jpg

I feel the best visual interaction the devs could have used with DS9 would have been to restrict the instancing to maybe 5 ships with a choreographed docking animation that would prompt you to dock when approaching the station. Selecting yes to dock would have the game take over the ship and manoeuvre it to physically dock with the station whilst it does a background load of the interior so you can immediately appear at one of the docking rings after the docking is complete.

And I would would have dearly loved for them to have used the actual Earth Space Dock from the films, with a similar docking procedure, except your ship would fly into the station instead of physically docking with it. ^.^

=edit=

The reason I used Merzo's size chart is because of the grid in the background and because the grid is identical in size to Suricata's size chart and the properly scaled ships match across both charts.
Lt. Commander
# 513
08-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Yeah, the massive size of K7 and DS9 really do break immersion for me. I'd love it if they fell in with this size chart

http://imgur.com/8wbxu.jpg

I feel the best visual interaction the devs could have used with DS9 would have been to restrict the instancing to maybe 5 ships with a choreographed docking animation that would prompt you to dock when approaching the station. Selecting yes to dock would have the game take over the ship and manoeuvre it to physically dock with the station whilst it does a background load of the interior so you can immediately appear at one of the docking rings after the docking is complete.

And I would would have dearly loved for them to have used the actual Earth Space Dock from the films, with a similar docking procedure, except your ship would fly into the station instead of physically docking with it. ^.^

=edit=

The reason I used Merzo's size chart is because of the grid in the background and because the grid is identical in size to Suricata's size chart and the properly scaled ships match across both charts.
We've been over this in other threads, but the size of DS9 is about as consistent as the size of the BoP throughout the series.

Basically, the station size varies so much in sfx shots that the current size of the station actually falls within the upper-range.

An example of what I'm talking about... http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ebulaDS9-2.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 514
08-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I've been flying a VoQuv of late, just posting to register my irritation about its deflector dish or more accurately its lack of one... I hate that all my deflector powers originate from the center of the model. :/
Lt. Commander
# 515
08-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
I've been flying a VoQuv of late, just posting to register my irritation about its deflector dish or more accurately its lack of one... I hate that all my deflector powers originate from the center of the model. :/
All Klingon ships effectively have this issue. The scan and tractor beams either emit from the nose or from th ecentre of the ship, even though the only Klingon vessel that has what is believed to be some form of sensor dish at the front is the Vor'Cha - and frankly that's debatable since it could be any number of things.

In actual fact, the only Klingon vessel we've seen emit a tractor beam or sensor beam is a Bird of Prey in DS9 which actually emits it from the bulge on its belly - so its highly probable that the same devices are in similar places on the rest of the KDF fleet as well.

But then the tractor beam on Fed ships also seems to emit from the deflector dish even though they all had tractor emitters in various other places - and the fact that the tractor beams require the deflector science skills and deflector component really shows that Cryptic have absolutely no basic knowledge of Star Trek tech, which is a shame.

Tractor beams should have been an additional component, as should a warp matrix (the entire warp core, plasma conduits and warp coils in the nacelles).

Frankly Cryptic should have played Star Trek: Starship Creator - it may well be a poor game by all regards, but what it does well is example a large selection of components to setup when building a Trek ship.
Lt. Commander
# 516
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Your link is broken.
Lt. Commander
# 517
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I'd much rather just have the deflector skills coming out of the nose instead of the 0,0,0 setup we have now for the VoQuv. Using the nose works fine for all the other KDF ships. Seriously, just having emitter effects poking out any part of the model because the origin point is in the interior looks terrible.
Lt. Commander
# 518
08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Your link is broken.
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
I'd much rather just have the deflector skills coming out of the nose instead of the 0,0,0 setup we have now for the VoQuv. Using the nose works fine for all the other KDF ships. Seriously, just having emitter effects poking out any part of the model because the origin point is in the interior looks terrible.

added
Lt. Commander
# 519
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
So, from trying out the Excelsior on Tribble, it appears there have been no changes to the model we've seen in drydock for the past couple weeks.

There are still the issues with the windows being wrong. I can see an artist placing windows across the front hull above the deflector, b/c otherwise it's a pretty large empty space that would make some sort of sense for windows to be there*, but windows on the nacelles?!? THAT'S gotta take some work. Not even sure how that one snuck out.

The shuttlebay door lines seem oriented wrong.

Also, the big section on top of the nacelles seems like it should be glowing blue like most other warp nacelles, but instead it's solid hull plating and whatever the secondary color is

*I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the navigational deflector is either too low or too small or a combination of both.
Lt. Commander
# 520
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
We've been over this in other threads, but the size of DS9 is about as consistent as the size of the BoP throughout the series.

Basically, the station size varies so much in sfx shots that the current size of the station actually falls within the upper-range.

An example of what I'm talking about... http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ebulaDS9-2.jpg
Even by the standards of the shot u provided DS9 is still smaller in the show than it is in game. I mean I parked my Galaxy r next to the lower pylon just as in that shot and the pylon is HUGE. I get they made it this big for "effect" but it's totally immersion breaking, not to mention it makes for a bad screenshot .

Here's a Galaxy docked in the show http://www.st-wiki.com/images/7/76/Gal_slide5.jpg http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ked_at_DS9.jpg

Here's my ship docked http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/w...3-01-24-06.jpg

As you can see, in game the upper pylon is bigger than my saucer which is not the case in the show.
Closed Thread