Lt. Commander
# 12
08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
Epic! Very Creative!
Qapla' batlh je
qatlho'

I'm actually half-way finished with "Command Review, Part II" and I only started it this morning.

It's quite challenging as you can't get BOFFs to follow you to sick bay (where Part II primarily takes place) - nor can you get a KDF player to lie down on your sickbay beds.

However, I've managed to do both with my new found photoshop skills.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
If you need extras or a stand in you could always have a player pose. I am sure at least one would mind donating some time to help you out.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
If you need extras or a stand in you could always have a player pose. I am sure at least one would mind donating some time to help you out.
That's a nice gesture. I thought about asking members of the community if they'd like to guest-star in episodes to speed the process up. (I spend more time in photoshop or loading the game than actually taking screenshots).

Once boff-to-player character promotions get added, I'll be all set for a full crew.

EDIT: and a facial animation rig would be nice - or even emotes that affect your character's face.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Darren, how good are you at Photoshop? Not sure if you are using it for that but you might be able to Photoshop your BO's into your sickbay background if you can clear the room of the extras if you need them out of the shot.

But you got me to thinking about doing this for another game now only just for myself and friends to see though. I was to do a written story of the group years ago but put it off because it became too much hassle trying to get so many people's "creations" the way they wanted. But then I was thinking after seeing this to save from the masses in that situation to maybe do it on my characters alone and maybe they just have "recurring roles". I figure if I did it visually like you did that might work out better since it's a superhero game. Sort of tells you which one in there, huh?

Edit: Also ST fonts can be found at http://www.talshiar.org/Fonts/ if you wanted/needed them for the title page.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
Darren, how good are you at Photoshop? Not sure if you are using it for that but you might be able to Photoshop your BO's into your sickbay background if you can clear the room of the extras if you need them out of the shot.
So good I've already done that.

When I say hard, I mean ""it takes me longer than a minute to do."

Quote:
But you got me to thinking about doing this for another game now only just for myself and friends to see though. I was to do a written story of the group years ago but put it off because it became too much hassle trying to get so many people's "creations" the way they wanted. But then I was thinking after seeing this to save from the masses in that situation to maybe do it on my characters alone and maybe they just have "recurring roles". I figure if I did it visually like you did that might work out better since it's a superhero game. Sort of tells you which one in there, huh?
Go for it! We're living in a day and age where friends of mine make albums from their laptops, program code while hiking the North Cascades, and can make cats do the darnedest things in Photoshop.

Let you imagination run wild and don't worry about it getting caught on anything - you can't catch what you can't contain.

Quote:
Edit: Also ST fonts can be found at http://www.talshiar.org/Fonts/ if you wanted/needed them for the title pages.
I actually used ST fonts from Tal Shiar on the title pages. I have "Enterprise" for the title and the episode name; "Federation" for the author credits.

Once I have a better front-page format done, I'll update the entire thing.

I insist on comic-style fonts for the dialogue though. It just wouldn't be the same without "DigitalStrip" - it's highly readable without taking up too much horizontal space.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
So good I've already done that.

When I say hard, I mean ""it takes me longer than a minute to do."

Go for it! We're living in a day and age where friends of mine make albums from their laptops, program code while hiking the North Cascades, and can make cats do the darnedest things in Photoshop.

Let you imagination run wild and don't worry about it getting caught on anything - you can't catch what you can't contain.

I actually used ST fonts from Tal Shiar on the title pages. I have "Enterprise" for the title and the episode name; "Federation" for the author credits.

Once I have a better front-page format done, I'll update the entire thing.

I insist on comic-style fonts for the dialogue though. It just wouldn't be the same without "DigitalStrip" - it's highly readable without taking up too much horizontal space.
I was wondering if you used that for the Klingon borg laying down in sickbay. lol

The part about the fonts, ah... now I know why I didn't recognize it. Enterprise. My least favorite of all the series.

And for the dialogue, yes you are right the comic-style does work better. I was more thinking the title page. I should have mentioned that. Using a Trek font for dialogue might make it harder to read or make you have to enlarge the bubbles which would hurt the rest of the visual. Honestly, I guess because after reading comic books, the font you used just seemed normal so didn't even cross my mind. Probably why I didn't say the title page because the dialogue font just seemed like it supposed to be that way.

The only time I can even see using a ST font in your strip's dialogue would be if your character's universal translator is broken and you want another person in the scene speaking say Romulan for example and not want the readers to get it until the translator is fixed and your character asks for a repeat. lol However, since you are doing this in your spare time, you probably will want to stick to the same size as issue 1 (plus for downloading the hi-res version purposes as well), such a scene probably wouldn't make sense as it would take too much space in the issue just for that.

Edit: Wow. Just learned we can only have so many smilies in a message so had to delete some of those in your quote.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
o: I will follow this with interest~ I can never find ST comics...
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-25-2010, 08:11 AM
The big reason Star Trek fonts don't see much use is that they're not very readable when scaled down (I'm using a 10 pt. font).

They're generally very wide fonts - which is a huge consideration given the chosen medium.

The font used on ships in TNG-VOY is, by contrast, too narrow for my liking. It's also hard to read due to being so tall too.

I'm a typography nut, so I've paid attention to it. The title page needs a re-do.

Anyways, I'm finishing up the next issue. I have quite a few panoramic shots in this one with two characters of mine in several shots. It looks cool - especially when combing emotes across shots.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
And now the conclusion of Command Review...
(==| Issue #2: "Command Review - Part II" |==)