Lt. Commander
# 21
08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
As was mentioned before, many people do not want it to just change race out of boredom, but to change race from alien to "new race" they bought and what wasnt available when the game launched. Its not like it would break your immersion if people you have never met are suddenly pakleds instead pakled looking aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I have mentioned this in other threads regarding race change. My Captain is a Trill, I created her when that was all that was available (unless I was willing to buy the Digital Deluxe Edition, just for the Joined Trill).

Shortly after I got her to RA5, Cryptic released the Joined Trill in the C-Store.

I am not willing to re-roll another character just to make them a Joined Trill. So the only option (as Cryptic seem to view Joined and non-Joined Trill as 2 separate races) would be a race change.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Actually, speaking to immersion it would bother me to get to know a person playing one race for months then have a species change. If my experience in MMO's is any indication, for every well thought out Race Change there would be a hundred players doing something weird like changing their Vulcan into a Caitain, for example.

As to a Trill becoming a Joined Trill, that is canonically justifiable as that particular race is only being modified not supplanted. Also I could support a Trill becoming a Joined Trill, or any race becoming a Liberated Borg. But like many good ideas, a Race Change Token could be a slippery slope in removing one of the few constants in an MMO already allowing perhaps too much customization from a canonical perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Immersion or not, changing race token increases the potential for selling more races in C-Store so judging by that, it will happen.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I fail to see how anyone can be against this?
Nobody would force you to use the option, and how does it affect your gameplay if people decide to change race?
I bet unless they are people you know, 99% of the time YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW!
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Just because I do not see something that I know is out there, does not mean that I must ignore it and the feelings I have regarding it. Some people like myself need canonical limitations to suspend our disbelief and have fun.

I think that common guidelines establish the backbone in a believable fictional world. If you start allowing things that make no sense to go on behind closed doors, eventually those things creep into the public eye. Then I have to deal with people who think the IKC IloveKFC is ja valid ship designation.

If people are so gung-ho about choice, what about my choice to maintain some sense of canon/realism in STO? Does my preference always end where someone else's begins? Why should they get preference in allowing Full Customization instead of me getting preference in Limited Customization? Where do we draw the line between what fits in a ST game and what does not?
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
Just because I do not see something that I know is out there, does not mean that I must ignore it and the feelings I have regarding it. Some people like myself need canonical limitations to suspend our disbelief and have fun.

I think that common guidelines establish the backbone in a believable fictional world. If you start allowing things that make no sense to go on behind closed doors, eventually those things creep into the public eye. Then I have to deal with people who think the IKC IloveKFC is ja valid ship designation.

If people are so gung-ho about choice, what about my choice to maintain some sense of canon/realism in STO? Does my preference always end where someone else's begins? Why should they get preference in allowing Full Customization instead of me getting preference in Limited Customization? Where do we draw the line between what fits in a ST game and what does not?
So basically you want to penalize players who stick for the game since launch, players who dont have the time/energy/slots to make yet another alt. Why would i want to buy a new race from C-Store, if i already have 7 toons, but i would prefer to change one of the aliens to more Star Trek race, which WASNT availeble at the time i made the toon ? Or only new players are allowed to create new toons with new skins ?

I fail to see how to ruins it your immersion, if i a random person you dont know, change one ugly headed alien to pakled or tellarite i would have picked if the race was available when i made the choice. Same goes for trill/joined trill.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
I fail to see how to ruins it your immersion, if i a random person you dont know, change one ugly headed alien to pakled or tellarite i would have picked if the race was available when i made the choice. Same goes for trill/joined trill.
As I said, because it seems to create an eventual cascade of options that continue to threaten immersion. If we can quietly change our race, why not our profession? Why not sell levels/ranks in the C-Store for people with busy lives. Why not offer a 'start at Rear Admiral Token' or hell even 'start at Vice Admiral Token' for people that are just too busy but plenty rich enough to play STO evidently? It never stops...
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
As I said, because it seems to create an eventual cascade of options that continue to threaten immersion. If we can quietly change our race, why not our profession? Why not sell levels/ranks in the C-Store for people with busy lives. Why not offer a 'start at Rear Admiral Token' or hell even 'start at Vice Admiral Token' for people that are just too busy but plenty rich enough to play STO evidently? It never stops...
Actually after checking your profile, i find it funny you play alien, who does look like human, and has some RP background to back it up but still, its obvious you wanted other traits and look like human. How does that NOT ruin my immersion ? If you want to look like human, you should play human and have human traits, or you tell me you picked the same ones as generic humans, just to have alien in profile ? i highly doubt it

So step down from your immersion horse and look on it from practical view. If race change is not available, it means less sales of races in C-STORE, and that means less development on new races, which means less diversity.