Lt. Commander
# 81
08-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishka
I'm weird like that.

In a perfect world I could get everything for free, however I do understand that when it comes down to basic matters it's money that makes the world go round. Well that and the kinetic energy from over 5 billion years ago when our solar system was created and swung our blue marble in orbit around a hot ball of gas.
Know the second thing that is needed to keep customers and make more money?

Decent customer service. You can charge whatever you want but if people get tired of the antics you can bet, there is another company, another MMO title that will treat customers just a little better.

Many MMO gamers do not leave the current MMO title because they "jump around." They leave because customer service is lacking. In this case it is about loot.

For example: New level cap, but sorry loot tables are broken with this patch...can only get batteries.

Grats, mark 11 gear is fixed now....it looks JUST like your Mark 10 gear. BTW on the C-store we have the latest and greatest ship up for sale! We'd love to make it free, but we couldn't fit it into our schedule. We are busy making content that has no actual rewards tied to it.

Instead of making content with USEFUL loot/rewards they take a shortcut: don't give them loot at all! Just sell it on the C-store instead!

It is horrible that the thing everyone is RAVING about in the game is the newest ship: The Excelsior instead of the new content. You know why? It is because content is a one and DONE sort of experience. Nobody is going to even remember it a week from now. The ship is something tangible, you can touch it....I bet you anything if that ship ws tied to some group mission, everyone would be talking bout the awesome missions and the lead up to that group mission...because it had something WORTH obtaining. A reason to do it.

As it stands there isn't anything worth talking about except the latest and greatest in the C-store. Like I said, you can bet it leaves a bitter taste in a customers mouth and when there is always a new MMO around the corner I promise, customer service is what will "make them more money" otherwise, don't expect many of us to be still playing to support this kind of customer abuse.
Lt. Commander
# 82
08-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
You do know that character/ship/BOff information takes up very little space in a database, right? It's all text. The items that take up the space (looks, traits, etc) is shared amongst all players (either stored locally or on the server). So no, it's NOT a space issue...no matter what the devs want to tell you. It's the same argument that was made during beta when people were complaining about only getting three character slots free with a paid subscription. The only costs incurred would be having to run backups on the database...which they should already have had if they have intelligent programmers.
I am not really takling about physical disk space (and dStahl was explicitely not talking about in the thread I remember).
Storing data is one thing. Retrieving is another. Databases take some time looking for data, even if it's just one tiny piece of information. (The size of the information is generally less relevant then the size of the database itself, unfortunately.)
Lt. Commander
# 83
08-26-2010, 06:21 AM
But I love the C-Store, it allows the people with money to subsidize us poorer players for this game's growth.
Lt. Commander
# 84
08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
The C-Store is a way for Cryptic to make a little extra cash in order to ensure the continuation of this game. For the most part it has cosmetic items which don't affect your gameplay in anyway. Having that extra content in-game for free won't do anything for you. It doesn't give you extra missions and it doesn't make you stronger. It simply "looks cool".

Other items such as additional slots are necessary to be sold through the C-Store. In order to give you these additional slots Cryptic needs more storage space, which costs money. You are essentially paying for a portion of that space.

I don't know what you're true problem with the C-Store is. Perhaps you want all those items and can't afford it. Maybe you want a 100% free Star Trek MMO. Whatever you're reason, that's your opinion and its fine. Just understand that the C-Store is a way to support this game even further, and I see nothing wrong with giving them a little extra support.
well i guess the problem is that many other companies have much much more customization options in their games. Here the variations without C-Store are, to say it nice, very limited.

I am fine with C-Store for things like additional Charslot.

But I cant agree with the customization only argument many talk about. We know that there are things that give you other not achievable options obtained through C-Store that are not obtainable ingame. I dont know why ppl still use that argument if you can easy look through C-Store and find out the items that dont fall under this made statement about "looks cool only"
But feel free to show me a Cruiser with Cloak obtainable ingame...