Lt. Commander
# 1 Monthly Sub or Membership Fee?
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
The T5 Excelsior woo hoo . . . how do you earn this ship in-game?

You know, by playing the game I pay $15/month to play what parts of the game do I need to play to earn this new toy to play in?

My monthly sub fee IS more than just a membership fee to use the C-Store, correct? Or not? If my $15/month is not a game subscription fee to play a game, but merely a membership fee to make purchases from an online store, then tell me.

Make the choice Cryptic. Am I paying to play a game or is my $15/month just an online store membership?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-26-2010, 12:54 PM
The $15/month is to play the game. C-store items are just extras that allow us to give more support to Cryptic for making a "good" game. There is the idea that if there wasn't a C-store that many items would not be created. It is not like they are withholding any useful content (missions, etc.) because you don't buy it from the C-store. It is hard to find a MMO that actually just has just the monthly subscription anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
ok, how can I earn the new ship (i.e. content) in-game, by playing the game . . . not by getting out my credit card.

I mean, if all these C-Store purchases are funding "good game" making . . . then where's the "good game" version of earning the new ship?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
You can't. The original 3 retrofits are all available in-game either through the one-time free VA retrofit token, or via 500 Emblems per ship. We do know that the token cannot be used for this ship, since the T5 was specifically intended for the C-Store. Dstahl did mention a while back that he would like for there to be a way to earn the T5 Excelsior in-game, but so far we've received no concrete word as to whether or not the Emblem route will ever be possible.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
There's nothing in the C-Store that you need to purchase to be competitive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artic1337
ok, how can I earn the new ship (i.e. content) in-game, by playing the game . . . not by getting out my credit card.

I mean, if all these C-Store purchases are funding "good game" making . . . then where's the "good game" version of earning the new ship?
Certain items in the C-Store are available (like some of the refits) thru "in game" methods ie: "emblems" , so far that ship is not, and they haven't said it would be either.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artic1337
ok, how can I earn the new ship (i.e. content) in-game, by playing the game . . . not by getting out my credit card....
The Tier 3 version of the 'Excelsior' can be purchased at the Shipyard for Cmdr ranked characters and above with Energy Credits
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadynGabriel
There's nothing in the C-Store that you need to purchase to be competitive.
I'm not trying to compete with anyone, I'm trying to have fun . . . and everything I see that has a chance of keeping me interested in continuing my monthly sub is a C-Store item. I refuse to pay Cryptic for things that will keep me interested in paying them a monthly fee . . . it's like I've fallen into a Joseph Heller novel.

Breaking out my credit card for a new ship doesn't excite me, earning it in-game does.

But today's "gamers" wouldn't understand that concept, I guess.

"Good game" gives you enjoyable challenges that lead to interesting rewards.

"Bad game" just slaps a price tag on everything.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The Tier 3 version of the 'Excelsior' can be purchased at the Shipyard for Cmdr ranked characters and above with Energy Credits
LOL T3 version?

Commander to Captain is about 4 days of game play, 5 tops.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if it is available for 500 Emblems. It is a large enough sum that people will think twice about getting it.