Lt. Commander
# 31
08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
Actually after checking your profile, i find it funny you play alien, who does look like human, and has some RP background to back it up but still, its obvious you wanted other traits and look like human. How does that NOT ruin my immersion ? If you want to look like human, you should play human and have human traits, or you tell me you picked the same ones as generic humans, just to have alien in profile ? i highly doubt it
My toon was Alien after launch when they wiped the Beta Toons where I played him as a Human.

I always pictured Humans as a fairly generic (standard?) race in any MMO. Aren't Humans in ST supposed to be all about diversity I asked myself. I then asked myself, couldn't any player use Alien as a way to tailor their character (at creation) to how they feel they were trained? Then I realized I needed an in-universe excuse not to break my own immersion issues. The RP device seemed funny to me, and it helped me to begin to come up with a personality (back when I thought people read bios and were going to RP more mind) for my main toon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
So step down from your immersion horse and look on it from practical view. If race change is not available, it means less sales of races in C-STORE, and that means less development on new races, which means less diversity.
We have no way of verifying where the profits from the C-Store are spent. Cryptic has indicated that the C-Store Team is separate from the game side of things. As it stands, it looks like every new race will probably be a C-Store Item only. The C-Store thus bars any new race from being free, after all why code a free race if you can charge $$$ for it? Just wait for 'uber race traits' to come to their mind or like paying to play a 'Q' eventually

Funny how we can not earn those races in game too...wasn't that supposed to be true for any game affecting C-Store Items? I guess that slippery slope is exactly what I, and many others on the forums, have said it was many times before. Too bad, I thought a LT Sub meant I was going to get all the new game affecting content in the deal. Thanks for misleading me Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
I also think there should be way to obtain other races via game, however that doesnt change the fact, that race change for some OOC reasons is needed also.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I say again, other than it possibly being a technical reason there is no justifiable reason whatsoever not to offer a Race Change.
If it ruins someones immersion that people can change race if they want to, then i feel very sorry for them.

And if some people are so stuck up they need an in-universe explanation, hows this?
How many times have we not seen a mutagenic virus or alien parasite transform people into an entirely different species?

Geordi LaForge was almost completely transformed into an alien lifeform to the point where there was almost "nothing" human left in him.
Archer, Hoshi and Reed were transformed into an alien species known as the Loque'eque by a virus.
The Klingons lost their ridges from the Augment virus because of the human DNA getting mixed into theirs.
The Kobali a species from the Delta Quadrant, could re-animate the dead and completely change the physiology of a human to be Kobali.

Need i go on?
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Well that only makes human mutants, it doesn't change their race...

Now, try showing me where a human became a full-fledged Andorian, or a Bajroan turned into a Ferengi (and not just the looks, but enough to warrent loosing his old race's racial traits and gaining the new races' traits!). Races in STO isn't just about DNA, but also different racial culture and background. That's some of the reasons why I am against Race changes.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
You know what, we should not bother arguing sense on this. The Pro-Race Change Token position rests in 'But I want it' and it is very hard to change what someone wants with common sense or rational discourse. So I will depart this thread with : Please no race change nonsense in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
You know what, we should not bother arguing sense on this. The Pro-Race Change Token position rests in 'But I want it' and it is very hard to change what someone wants with common sense or rational discourse. So I will depart this thread with : Please no race change nonsense in STO.
And the Anti-Race change position rests in 'But I don't want it' and it is very hard to convince someone that they're own biases don't affect others. (see, anyone can play that game. It makes as much cannon sense as selling retrain tokens, how often to people completely change their skill sets to the point of forgetting the old skills.
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoin
And the Anti-Race change position rests in 'But I don't want it' and it is very hard to convince someone that they're own biases don't affect others. (see, anyone can play that game. It makes as much cannon sense as selling retrain tokens, how often to people completely change their skill sets to the point of forgetting the old skills.
Quoted for truth
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I support this request, signed. If someone created a character and later a new race became available, but they didn't have the option when they made their existing character, they should be able to change it. We pay (or paid in the case of lifetime subscribers) to play this, those paying or who have paid for a lifetime, should be able to play as whatever species they want, even if they created the character before other species were available. Where's the harm? If it makes people happy, let them do it so long as they are supporting the game financially.
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm actually surprised that they don't offer a race change in the c-store, it seems like a perfect service. I just started a few days ago and recently hit Lt. Commander - I know, I could just reroll, but I like my stats and ship and the gear I have. One of my friends logged in to play with me and I saw how awesome his alien race was and instantly wanted to do something similar. I would have easily dropped 400 c-store points on this.