Lt. Commander
# 11
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
There no reason to think they would keep the old bridge. Star Fleet ships are meant to be upgraded almost every time they doc I would like to see every bridge bridge version even the TOS bridge.
Check out my post above - there's a video of a TNG-era Excelsior bridge. It's got the same general layout as the 'Undiscovered Country' bridges, but with consoles and LCARS displays done in the TNG style.

Failing that, as I said, the Prometheus bridges are based on the Excelsior bridge, so those will do if all else fails. Just try to ignore the Prometheus-class MSD on the display behind the Captain's chair...
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I flew a Galaxy class ship for quite a while as a Captain, and on her bridge was proudly displayed the MSD of an Akira class ship.

I think the computer had a personality disorder.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I have to laugh everytime I see threads wanting 'canon' interiors when it's clear that Cryptic can't seem to pull it off quite right. The closest thing to what we've seen in the TV shows/movies is the Prometheus (Blaze) bridge, and even that has still been exploded out to the size of an Excelsior bridge.

I'm at the point now where I'd rather they not try to copy the TV series/movies anymore, but move on with their own designs that we'd obsess less over for being "wrong" or nitpick to death for discrepancies.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I have to laugh everytime I see threads wanting 'canon' interiors when it's clear that Cryptic can't seem to pull it off quite right. The closest thing to what we've seen in the TV shows/movies is the Prometheus (Blaze) bridge, and even that has still been exploded out to the size of an Excelsior bridge.

I'm at the point now where I'd rather they not try to copy the TV series/movies anymore, but move on with their own designs that we'd obsess less over for being "wrong" or nitpick to death for discrepancies.
I disagree. Just because Cryptic has not done "Canon" Bridges yet, I see no reason to stop asking for them. They need to have at least one "variant" for each ship to be canon so that those who want their game playing to be "all" canon can get it.

There is no reason why they "can't" do it....just so far they "won't". I would like to know the reason.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post

Er, you do know that the Prometheus bridge is a redress of the Excelsior bridge set, and thus uses much of the set dressing - it's exactly the same size as the Excelsior bridge.

And I think it'd be a cop-out if Cryptic were to focus on original designs over canon ones, simply because they wouldn't need to worry about accuracy. So many Trek games have done a great job on art and design, particularly with regard to replicating classic looks of things like ships and interiors. 'Elite Force II' and 'Legacy' both come to mind as great looking Star Trek games. It's pretty easy to just copy things from reference pics, so I really don't understand why Cryptic has so much trouble getting this sort of thing right.*

*...actually, I do - most previous companies (Activsion especially) made a big thing of getting official resources like orthographic scans of ships from Paramount/CBS for reference, and it was clear that both the game developers and the art teams involved had done their homework on Trek tech and apocrypha, to make sure everything looked and worked as they should.
Clearly, the STO team hasn't done that - certainly, the art team hasn't been given sufficient info as to the components of ships, or even decent resources. CapnLogan mentioned in an older thread about how he didn't have decent orthos until someone on these boards pointed him to Doug Drexler's blog, and similarly didn't know what things like RTS thrusters were until fans explained them in the 'Starships: Errors, Issues and Feedback' thread. When someone who's done as much great work for this game as the good Capn admits to that, you realise there's an intrinsic proble in the attitude Cryptic has to handling the STAR TREK intellectual property.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
From TTS:

d'Stahl@dstahl: Gimme a sec and I'll answer some questions - in the middle of a test at the moment - Excelsior is Thursday (both versions)

d'Stahl@dstahl: we'd hoped for Tuesday but we made some last minute changes to the Excelsior to reconfigure the bridge officer seats based on feedback
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Enterprise_J
From TTS:

d'Stahl@dstahl: Gimme a sec and I'll answer some questions - in the middle of a test at the moment - Excelsior is Thursday (both versions)

d'Stahl@dstahl: we'd hoped for Tuesday but we made some last minute changes to the Excelsior to reconfigure the bridge officer seats based on feedback
That has nothing to do with the Excelsior "bridge" (ie the physical bridge where you walk around), but rather the BO stations on the ship in terms of stats and layout.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-26-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
I suspect this is already on Cryptic's list of things to make, but I'm in favor of this request in any case.
I would think they are working on it already too. I'll show my support.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug3575 View Post
I would think they are working on it already too. I'll show my support.
If they are, I just hope they can take the time to put a proper Excelsior MSD and consoles on the ship. I hope they seriously start to step up the quality of the interiors, they are saddening at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I am also going to suggest that we get a Search for Spock style Klingon bridge:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rey_bridge.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...bop-bridge.jpg

More variety in Klingon bridges is needed, I think making variants that move a little further away from the dark and gloomy red types would be nice. This bridge had some blue lights, a uniquely shaped door, and was smaller with a protruding viewscreen made easy for the captain to view. Overall the bridge gives a much different vibe than the other Klingon bridges we have now, more variety is needed.