Lt. Commander
I keep getting this error after an hour or two of gameplay. I am not sure what is causing it, but it seems like sto is getting a memory leak causing it to keep eating up ram until it takes it all causing it to switch to low textures (and super craptastic graphics)

Just to make it clear, I have a pretty good computer and should be able to run 2-3 stos on max settings, and there is no reason for it to be doing this. I run Crysis on Ultra with good fps, so STO should not be a problem.

Specs:
Vista 64 bit
I7 920 Quad CPU
6 Gigs DDR3 1600 ram
Radeon 4890 Graphics
Rampage 2 Motherboard
1.5 Terra HD
Has no heat issues

So I'm at a loss of what to do exactly. I can run 3-4 other games and MMOs fine at the same time, but running STO, even alone with nothing else running still gives me that message.

I hate how crappy the graphics get when it happens and it ruins my playing mood.

Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-29-2010, 06:41 AM
makesure youve got a page\swapfile set of arround 4gb (4096) or more, even though you have a tone of ram some games can complain if your swap file is missing or too small
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-29-2010, 07:26 AM
That'll be video memory running out. Have you changed any of the video settings from the defaults?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Video memory is 1gb, again not something that should run out on a game like STO, will try to mess a bit more with the settings.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illistar
Video memory is 1gb, again not something that should run out on a game like STO
It won't on the default settings. It will if you set some of them too high. STO is one of the most stressful games on video cards and CPUs right now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
It won't on the default settings. It will if you set some of them too high. STO is one of the most stressful games on video cards and CPUs right now.
As stated, I run Crysis on ultra, with the mega particle addon. If sto is using more video memory than that, it's a HUGE game design flaw, as the graphics don't come anywhere near the same level.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I have seen the low memory using reduce textures before but usually only on XP PC. It was not related to how much memory you have on the video card but on the windows page memory it uses for resource managements.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illistar
If sto is using more video memory than that, it's a HUGE game design flaw, as the graphics don't come anywhere near the same level.
It's more that the video options page has some sliders which really go up far too high, and some combinations of options that just don't make sense. Defaults are fine.