Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
The people deciding on the c-store pricing seem to think that having a special ship is more fun than playing for a month, odd.
Well as history has shown us, the marketing manager for Cryptic is not to swift given all previous fiascos. The store is another one at the moment or maybe it is simply a long term experiment.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I don't know about suckering people into buying something three times and then effectively paying more. I should hope things at Cryptic aren't quite that desperate yet.
As I said in my post, by giving the customer more than one purchasing option that customer takes responsibility for the purchasing decisions they make.

If I am that imagined customer (from my post) who 1st buys the cheap option, then again, and again . . . and then realizes that I could have saved money with the more expensive "Account Wide" option to begin with, I blame myself for buying impulsively, not Cryptic! In the end, Cryptic has made more revenue off of me than if I had bought more "smartly", but I also have no one to blame but myself and don't harbor any feelings of ill will towards Cryptic.

win-win for Cryptic . . . simply by providing more options.

But, I'm sure the marketing team has crunched all the numbers and come to the conclusion that having only the one buy option is what's best for the game . . .

If, on a completely differnt line of thought, a cheaper "One Character Only" option for new ships were to be introduced and it leads to the complete demise of the "Account Wide" option . . . well, then, that just shows how unequitable the "Account Wide" option is and it shouldn't even be offered in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
But I do think it'd be a good idea to say half the price of the ships for a single-account version. Then, once you've bought one, the 600 C-points single-account option disables, replaced by a 600 C-point account-wide option. IE, if you buy a second one, it automatically becomes accountwide. Now maybe some will never buy the account wide option, but I do think that the number of people that will buy the ships at 600 who wouldn't at 1200 might offset that.
that is an excellent idea for another option.

much more beneficial to the player, just slightly less beneficial to Cryptic (as compared to the imagined example I gave) because of the lost "impulse buy" revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave
There's a reason stores put cheap items at the checkout counter.
thank you, sir. It's nice to have someone get what I was posting without having to argue over small points for 4 pages.

and thanks to everyone else's replies, too. each day that I've come back to check on my thread a little feeling of dread has come over me before opening it over fear of the troll patrol having taking aim on it. the replies so far have been engaging and appreciated.

i guess the trolls only come down here to the basement of the forums for some nap time . . . so my thread might just be safe.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, well, given that yesterday Cryptic suddenly punted all the C-store threads into this sub-forum, whereas they were content to leave them in the general forum before, methinks "Don't let the disgruntled customers do too much damage" has replaced "we're having internal discussions about it."
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNoir View Post
Yeah, well, given that yesterday Cryptic suddenly punted all the C-store threads into this sub-forum, whereas they were content to leave them in the general forum before, methinks "Don't let the disgruntled customers do too much damage" has replaced "we're having internal discussions about it."
shhh, you'll wake the trolls . . .
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I just mean, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of change.

We're down here so that we can vent without many, if any, prospective customers seeing our complaints.

The fact is, Cryptic has locked up a fanatical customer base that will pay any price for any product with the "Star Trek" branding. That is why the Excelsior is only available on the C-Store, that is why the Nebula is going to be only available on the C-Store, and the T'Pol jumpsuit... anything from the shows is going into the C-Store and the C-Store only. Because Trekkies will pay for that stuff, even if that stuff doesn't really exist, can only be utilized in one particular instance that can't be accessed without paying a monthly fee, and will be lost forever when the server shuts down.

Cryptic seems content to base their business model on milking the fanatics, even if it means alienating the more moderate fans, or even people who just like the game but care nothing for "Star Trek".

I think it's a short-sighted and ultimately unsustainable business model, as they're essentially trading away long-term subscriptions for one-time purchases, but maybe I'm wrong. Cryptic apparently thinks so.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNoir View Post
I just mean, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of change.

We're down here so that we can vent without many, if any, prospective customers seeing our complaints.

The fact is, Cryptic has locked up a fanatical customer base that will pay any price for any product with the "Star Trek" branding. That is why the Excelsior is only available on the C-Store, that is why the Nebula is going to be only available on the C-Store, and the T'Pol jumpsuit... anything from the shows is going into the C-Store and the C-Store only. Because Trekkies will pay for that stuff, even if that stuff doesn't really exist, can only be utilized in one particular instance that can't be accessed without paying a monthly fee, and will be lost forever when the server shuts down.

Cryptic seems content to base their business model on milking the fanatics, even if it means alienating the more moderate fans, or even people who just like the game but care nothing for "Star Trek".

I think it's a short-sighted and ultimately unsustainable business model, as they're essentially trading away long-term subscriptions for one-time purchases, but maybe I'm wrong. Cryptic apparently thinks so.
Jack knew exactly what he was doing when he bought out the rights to the IP . . . ch-ching! It was a smart investment.

But I've decided to stop banging my head against the wall and instead approach my criticisms of the C-store from an "ok, it's not going away, that doesn't mean we can't criticize it and possibly improve on it for the good of both Cryptic and their customers alike."

I refuse to be bullied (by some posters around here, not Cryptic) into the false dichotomy of "Love it or leave it". I'll "Stay and Question" for as long as I choose to keep paying my monthly fee.

Since first making the original post I have now re-read and slightly editted it at least a dozen times to make my claims as cogent and as applicable as possible. Whatever happens at least I can say I did not much, at the very least I made a reasoned argument supporting my views.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't think anybody arguing for items on the C-Store to also be obtainable through in-game means thinks the C-Store would go away, or even really would care if it did or not.

Cryptic's evident disinterest in such a plan is where the whole "trading long-term subscriptions for one-time purchases" strategy becomes apparent.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
But there would have to be some sort of visual distinction *in the c-store* when purchasing.

How ****ed would you be if they put the two options side by side, and you meant to purchase the account, but accidently purchased the single.

Then people would rage that cryptic is being shady.

Just forethought.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakehutson
But there would have to be some sort of visual distinction *in the c-store* when purchasing.

How ****ed would you be if they put the two options side by side, and you meant to purchase the account, but accidently purchased the single.

Then people would rage that cryptic is being shady.

Just forethought.
Easily done with a color code. There could be trek icons associated with each item and gold could be the more expensive one and silver the cheaper one.