Lt. Commander
# 51
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB
I haven't gotten a lifetime subscription yet but even if i do i will probably still pay for my monthly subscription because i want to see the game improve and that is how the devs get paid.
You cannot have two different subs on one account. You paid your monies with a LT, no need to buy a monthly too. The Devs will still get paid. If you feel that passionate about it though, perhaps you could by a monthly sub as a gift for a good friend or loved one.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
This has been heard loud and clear and Jack and I have been in some discussions this week where we continue to work on the deal that items in the C-Store need to be available for in game currency. (he and I both agree about big functional items being available for some type of in-game exchange)

The Excelsior was a half-step and now we need to put both feet in. I'm hoping the Nebula can be in game as well as in store. The in game way to get it might not be cake - but at least it will be something.
Dan,

Assuming you make this work, doesn't this defeat the arguments you previously made in that the C-Store was used to generate more content faster than what would occur otherwise?

I want to make this clear - I support this move as it was a promise made and yet unfulfilled 6+ months into launch. Just curious what would be the point of the c-store if i could get it in-game?

Blak
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Get it faster/don't have to grind/conspicuous consumption.
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakinik
Dan,

Assuming you make this work, doesn't this defeat the arguments you previously made in that the C-Store was used to generate more content faster than what would occur otherwise?

I want to make this clear - I support this move as it was a promise made and yet unfulfilled 6+ months into launch. Just curious what would be the point of the c-store if i could get it in-game?

Blak
Because there are inevitably a ton of lazy people with disposable income who will just buy it instead of having to grind?
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNoir View Post
Get it faster/don't have to grind
This is the idea. It will be available to get in game, but, it will probably be a very long term goal for most players to get this item without spending C-points. If you want something *NOW* then you'll be able to get it on the C-store.

As we know more about what all the fine details are, we'll keep you up to date.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This is the idea. It will be available to get in game, but, it will probably be a very long term goal for most players to get this item without spending C-points. If you want something *NOW* then you'll be able to get it on the C-store.

As we know more about what all the fine details are, we'll keep you up to date.

Thanks,

Stormshade

I think this is a good compromise, it gives players who don't have to have it NOW a goal to work to. I do also hope that you guys will eventually make this retro-active to items already in the C-Store of the same flavor.
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah its pretty annoying
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakinik
Dan,

Blak
As I understand it when the idea was first floated, the goal is to make it so that, to the feral Binars in Accounting, it comes out equal on the books regardless of if someone grinded in-game for it or bought it off the C-store. By 'grinded in-game,' it is such that the person spends a sufficient amount of time while paying a subscription to earn it. There is a sort of internal consistency: Basically, the item becomes two things, one or both to different people

o A carrot to induce someone, who isn't inclined to purchase it in the C-Store, to continue playing (and paying a subscription) for X1 amount of time, and then playing X2 amount of time enjoying their hard-won new ship; and
o A carrot to induce someone, who isn't inclined to grind for it, to purchase it in the C-Store.

Frankly, I see it as win-win-win. Folks who don't want to touch the C-Store can get a cool ship; folks who may have a bit more disposable income and not enough time to game can get a cool ship; and Accounting enjoys lots of black ink in their ledgers.

And Cryptic's devs get to finally put to rest something that's been a bugaboo for a good chunk of the playerbase since the game began, and don't have to worry about this being like a Sword of Damocles is hangingover their heads, and having the feeling that someone is gonna cut the thread.* =)

ETA: I mean "feral Binars" affectionately, not with malice. ^_^;;

* - Oh, woe is me... my life is a misey... oh, can't you see... that I'm at the start of a pretty big downer...!
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy
I think this is a good compromise, it gives players who don't have to have it NOW a goal to work to. I do also hope that you guys will eventually make this retro-active to items already in the C-Store of the same flavor.
Yeah I like the entire concept. If we use the existing retrofits as a template: 500 emblems for another one but you can just buy in the C-Store if you want to we have a potential model for what it would be like. Increase the value of the Excelsior by some factor since it is a "better" ship or has some bells and whistles or whatever (1,000 emblems? Effectively double the grind?) and you've got something that works.

Cryptic still gets their precious moneygrab and lazy/casual players still get the doodads if they're willing to put out some quid for it while those of us who would like some long-term and difficult to earn goals have something to do.

By the way, if you complete the grind you should earn a special little something (like a title...and at least an accoalade!) just to show off that you completed the grind. Gotta be able to brag, right?
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Uh, 500 emblems for the Excelsior, or any other ship, is just fine.

Actually, most people seem to find it a tad excessive, but the point is there's no reason one ship should cost more emblems than another ship.