Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
09-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Those who pay close attention (aka read dialog) during the series, you will get a hint of what the possible special reward will be.
Although STO is an MMO game. I rather play missions on my own. Everytime I team up with someone, they don't read the dialogs just close them immediately. And when the others close their dialogs, STO closes your dialog window. Last week I decided to team up with some other guys and give the team play another try. Bad move, I have no idea what was the story of the mission, because again those guys didn't read the dialogs and just closed them immediately. So I have no idea what the special reward might be Would be nice if we could solo replay the missions we already played with a team.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
09-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusSK View Post
Although STO is an MMO game. I rather play missions on my own. Everytime I team up with someone, they don't read the dialogs just close them immediately. And when the others close their dialogs, STO closes your dialog window. Last week I decided to team up with some other guys and give the team play another try. Bad move, I have no idea what was the story of the mission, because again those guys didn't read the dialogs and just closed them immediately. So I have no idea what the special reward might be Would be nice if we could solo replay the missions we already played with a team.
/agree- that is why I want to revive the Episode Replay feature soon!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
09-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
/agree- that is why I want to revive the Episode Replay feature soon!
Great to hear that. Thanks
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
09-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusSK View Post
Although STO is an MMO game. I rather play missions on my own. Everytime I team up with someone, they don't read the dialogs just close them immediately. And when the others close their dialogs, STO closes your dialog window. Last week I decided to team up with some other guys and give the team play another try. Bad move, I have no idea what was the story of the mission, because again those guys didn't read the dialogs and just closed them immediately. So I have no idea what the special reward might be Would be nice if we could solo replay the missions we already played with a team.
Use the Communications Log to re-read. Although sometimes it is buggy and does not record all dialogs properly. And sometimes its difficult to find what you're looking for.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
09-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusSK View Post
Although STO is an MMO game. I rather play missions on my own. Everytime I team up with someone, they don't read the dialogs just close them immediately. And when the others close their dialogs, STO closes your dialog window. Last week I decided to team up with some other guys and give the team play another try. Bad move, I have no idea what was the story of the mission, because again those guys didn't read the dialogs and just closed them immediately. So I have no idea what the special reward might be Would be nice if we could solo replay the missions we already played with a team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
/agree- that is why I want to revive the Episode Replay feature soon!
Boy do I feel your pain. How many times I did missions with my buddies and they just blow right thru it. But when they do them on their own, It's " Hold on, I'm taking my time with this kewl mission". I just want to go over to their place and beat them senseless, LOL. I do call them on it when they act stupid.

What's the moral of this story? Do the mission solo first and then team up. We are like predator packs. When we are solo, we are cautious, but in packs, we are reckless.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
09-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Quote:
We have discussed whether or not we will make the limited edition Special Series Reward available in the C-Store later for people who missed out on playing the series while it was live, but we want to see how many people are able to claim the reward first and how many people missed out on it. This is primarily in anticipation of down the road when people will be continually asking, “how do you get that cool thing you’ve got!”
For the love of god Cryptic, DO NOT DO IT! When you take a special item like this that has to be earned, putting it in the C-Store diminishes the item and is a disservice to thsoe of us that did it the hard way. To put them in the C-Store means they are no longer Special Series Rwards, they are just C-Store product and means that future series reward are diminished in turn before they release because we know they will be buyable as well.

Sometimes it is okay to make a player EARN something in game and give them no other way to have it. Please do not dimish the great thing you have going now by making part of it buyable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
09-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
On further review, I think the reward is a Telaxian Bridge Officer.

There's all this talk about the Preservers and their star charts. That would suggest we're in a hunt for something the Preservers left behind.

The Preservers would have either preserved a believed to be extinct race (like the Avian Xindi) or relocated a segment of a race a good distance from home (and we know there's been work done on Telaxian art assets because the hair slipped in around 2.0)...
Um...

I feel real bad to tell you guys this, but that "Avian Zindi" skull is from a Giraffe...

I guess I have missed a few episodes... I'm assuming of Enterprise with the Zindi.

I'd think the Trek guys would have come up with something a bit more believable like a recast Terror Bird skull:
http://romanmd.files.wordpress.com/2...237f8a3d3a.jpg

A Giraffe? No wonder we don't have a current Trek.

Nice that we have these new episodes, I had a lot of fun doing the 1rst one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
09-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
For the love of god Cryptic, DO NOT DO IT! When you take a special item like this that has to be earned, putting it in the C-Store diminishes the item and is a disservice to thsoe of us that did it the hard way. To put them in the C-Store means they are no longer Special Series Rwards, they are just C-Store product and means that future series reward are diminished in turn before they release because we know they will be buyable as well.

Sometimes it is okay to make a player EARN something in game and give them no other way to have it. Please do not dimish the great thing you have going now by making part of it buyable.
You don't seem to understand about the uber reward. It will NOT be earnable when the next series of episodes start. The reward is for playing all the weekly episodes before the next story arc comes out.

I don't actually mind if they add these time based rewards to the C Store at a later date. I picked up both the Borg Tribble and the Undine Tribble, and I got them for free. If someone wants to pay to get them - let them. Paying for the items is just another way of 'earning' rewards. These sort of rewards are not earned by skill, but instead when you log on. These people will still probably invest the same amount of time as you into playing the weekly episodes. Having to pay for rewards should be punishment enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The missions will always be there and they will always give a standard Featured Episode unique reward.

However - if you play the episodes live during the series and complete the last episode before the next series starts, we added on an additional Special Reward to the end of the last mission in the series. So that's 2 rewards for the last mission if completed before the next series starts.

So to sum up. Mission always there. Always gives 1 unique reward. Complete all Featured Episodes before next series starts and get a Special Reward that is limited edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
/agree- that is why I want to revive the Episode Replay feature soon!
Special one time rewards give a causal and power leveler the same satisfaction .
Im glad to have a fair chance at something exceptional for participating in Team play and not feel the need to camp a mission in the attempt to improve my lottery chance at a Very nice reward.

One on the issues I see in this system compared to the Champions Cosmic one. You team for a mission and you want a equal reward. Need or Greed..
So many times with PUGS you end up in a situation where their "need" is really a "Greed" and the next thing you see them at the Exchange selling the item.

To bring Fleet members along to replay missions you enjoyed and received rewards for is the best balance.
Its much easier to control then you trying to program against players Gold Farming key Episodes rich with desired drops.

Keeping things friendly and accessible are core values to improve the fun and encourage social play.
I'd say to Add to the TEAM aspect you may wish to look at TEAM only rewards via Devices gained only for team play and ideally Fleet key items.. In effect A Mission Team loot option.
A a Reward Chit to boost Crafting..
Possibly a PC Crafting skill tree based off Skill points for Ship and Ground points spent as extra bonus to enguage more people to use that system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
09-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The missions will always be there and they will always give a standard Featured Episode unique reward.

However - if you play the episodes live during the series and complete the last episode before the next series starts, we added on an additional Special Reward to the end of the last mission in the series. So that's 2 rewards for the last mission if completed before the next series starts.

So to sum up. Mission always there. Always gives 1 unique reward. Complete all Featured Episodes before next series starts and get a Special Reward that is limited edition.
Incidentally, dstahl, I think a big part of the point of the special reward is to make people want to stay active and keep subscribing, to feel like they shouldn't wait to come back later.

For that reason, the special reward falls flat if it can be obtained another way. I think you need to be firm and say, "This is something you only get for sticking with us and staying active."

If you do add it later, the price needs to be more than a month's subscription fee or everyone would come out ahead to just quit the game for the next six months and come back, buying up the special weekly rewards.

For the reward to serve its purpose and make people feel like they can't quit or take time off, like they're missing out by waiting until the next season or the next patch, it has to be unique.

At best, I think you could simply offer a less special version later but it really fails as an incentive if someone can quit the game for six months, blow $10 on weekly rewards and pick up without missing a beat.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.