Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
8v8, shanty town, a (relatively) large scale ground fight that has happened not even a handful of times in this game. Thought this vid was worth posting because it is so rare a ground fight gets this large. On the fvk side of things at least, anybody who plays fvf is a loser.

Cryptic, give us larger-scale, meaningful world pvp so we can have more fights like this. Feds and klings, i encourage you to explore this very fun and engaging aspect of the game before dismissing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCsvv0-L5io

Thanks to bran for filming.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
09-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVG
8v8, shanty town, a (relatively) large scale ground fight that has happened not even a handful of times in this game. Thought this vid was worth posting because it is so rare a ground fight gets this large. On the fvk side of things at least, anybody who plays fvf is a loser.

Cryptic, give us larger-scale, meaningful world pvp so we can have more fights like this. Feds and klings, i encourage you to explore this very fun and engaging aspect of the game before dismissing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCsvv0-L5io

Thanks to bran for filming.
So I take it that anybody who does KvK is also a loser?

I would say the vast majority of the players in this game do not find the ground game enjoyable. This is the crux of the problem. Perhaps if they split up the skill tree and make ground a separate set of points, I will raise it up. As it stands, the ground game is horrible and that is what Cryptic needs to fix, before worrying about larger maps. You will see more epic battles if the ground game was worth anything.

Kudos to those who like it,...but I have not really enjoyed it since closed beta. Just not very interesting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
09-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
So I take it that anybody who does KvK is also a loser?

I would say the vast majority of the players in this game do not find the ground game enjoyable. This is the crux of the problem. Perhaps if they split up the skill tree and make ground a separate set of points, I will raise it up. As it stands, the ground game is horrible and that is what Cryptic needs to fix, before worrying about larger maps. You will see more epic battles if the ground game was worth anything.

Kudos to those who like it,...but I have not really enjoyed it since closed beta. Just not very interesting.
No, the ground game is not horrible, you are. I know that because you give 0 specifics, so i can only assume you've been spawn camped and said lolthissucks.

And, much like cake, kvk is rumored to exist but it is a lie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
I would say the vast majority of the players in this game do not find the ground game enjoyable.

Kudos to those who like it,...but I have not really enjoyed it since closed beta. Just not very interesting.
what i don't get is this-
the end-game pve progression content (STF's) consist of a good portion of ground combat.
UFP has a large number of good-size (let's say 50+members) fleets, and a good number of fleets whose primary focus is end-game content (STF's).
but, there seem to be little to no Fed ground pvp premades.

i've enjoyed ground pvp since open beta, and i can tell you over the past month and a half i've seen a lot of new people from the UFP interested in ground pvp.

the reworks to the Q system and the private matches provide a great foundation for PvP in STO, just not a lot of people are utilizing them yet. there are so many great social functions and tools built into this game, and a lot of really friendly, helpful people....
the transition of a fed pve fleet to a premade pvp group of considerable strength should take around 4 hrs.
yeah ground pvp has it's flaws, but it's not as horrible as most people think, it's just a different playstyle than most people are use to.
it's fast-paced, viceral, and very exciting.
if mowing down waves of Borg and Undine gets your adrenaline going, you'll probably find ground pvp to be a far superior challenge with a far superior reward.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaVG
No, the ground game is not horrible, you are. I know that because you give 0 specifics, so i can only assume you've been spawn camped and said lolthissucks.

And, much like cake, kvk is rumored to exist but it is a lie.
Pathetic.

If the ground game is so fantastic, then why are the devs in discussion on completely reworking it.

Right now, it is garbage. Sorry, but the devs think you are wrong and the vast majority of the community think you are wrong.

I don't pvp on ground,... ever... so you can assume whatever you want about my spawning. Since I have not done ground since beta, I could care less. Until they add some depth to the ground combat system, I could not care less about it. I won't put point 1 into ground ever in this game, when I can put it into ship combat. Just keep assuming, since you have no facts to present in your post and know nothing about me or how I play.

The ground game is garbage, hence the lack of players doing the ground pvp.

And that is a fact.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
Pathetic.

If the ground game is so fantastic, then why are the devs in discussion on completely reworking it.

Right now, it is garbage. Sorry, but the devs think you are wrong and the vast majority of the community think you are wrong.

I don't pvp on ground,... ever... so you can assume whatever you want about my spawning. Since I have not done ground since beta, I could care less. Until they add some depth to the ground combat system, I could not care less about it. I won't put point 1 into ground ever in this game, when I can put it into ship combat. Just keep assuming, since you have no facts to present in your post and know nothing about me or how I play.

The ground game is garbage, hence the lack of players doing the ground pvp.

And that is a fact.
If the Devs are reworking it is because they would like to make it less complicated so that all the RPers and the PVEr can also do it without getting rolled by the real pvpers. And since in ever MMO RPers and PVErs out number the pvpers 100 to 1, it is a good business move for them to do this.

There is nothing wrong with ground other than people crying a lot. Please give me 2 or 3 things that is wrong with ground to the point that it would make it unplayable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
Sorry, but the devs think you are wrong and the vast majority of the community think you are wrong.

I don't pvp on ground,... ever...

The ground game is garbage, hence the lack of players doing the ground pvp.

And that is a fact.
i'm not sure how you can validate your opinion, seeing as how you have no experience on the topic.
furthermore, i'm not sure how much i should value your opinion on ground pvp, since you do not participate.

CHC is out there every night in Lt Gen Ground pvp q's, you haven't been in ground pvp since beta.
next time you want to bring something to the discussion, please know something about it first.
cause you don't. and that's a fact.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHC
If the Devs are reworking it is because they would like to make it less complicated so that all the RPers and the PVEr can also do it without getting rolled by the real pvpers. And since in ever MMO RPers and PVErs out number the pvpers 100 to 1, it is a good business move for them to do this.

There is nothing wrong with ground other than people crying a lot. Please give me 2 or 3 things that is wrong with ground to the point that it would make it unplayable.
First of all, people who pvp in space are pvp'ers too. Sorry to break it to you. And if you don't think I do pvp very much, perhaps you should ask around... start with Ninjaboy... he knows I pvp once or twice

I spend 80% of my game time doing pvp, so just stow that elitism away.

Problems

1) Seeing your opponents on radar is dumb. It removes tactical movement opportunities and ambushes. It would be more fun to NOT know where everybody is.

2) To be proficient at ground, you cannot spec into space fully. If I wanted ground pvp, I would turn on Guild Wars and play some real ground pvp. As it is, this is Star Trek. I did not get this game to go pew pew on the ground, using a boring combat system. There are games with much better ground battles than this.

3) For all the time the devs have spent on space, they have barely touched ground. Imbalances that have existed since day one have ( with a few exceptions ) been here since beta. Instead of revamping space with every patch, they need to deal with ground

4) Weapon ranges: It seems to me that a sniper rifle should shoot farther than a pistol. Maybe I am stupid for believing this.... The weapons are not fully realized. There should be a clear reason to use a pistol vs a rifle. This would include pistols being good up close, bad at range,..and rifles being good at range but bad up close. Right now, it really doesn't matter too much.

I am sure I could keep going. There are better ground games out there. If you think people got STO because they were hot to trot for ground combat...you are in the vast minority. It needs work. As it is right now,.. it feels like a tacked on after-thought.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
i'm not sure how you can validate your opinion, seeing as how you have no experience on the topic.
furthermore, i'm not sure how much i should value your opinion on ground pvp, since you do not participate.

CHC is out there every night in Lt Gen Ground pvp q's, you haven't been in ground pvp since beta.
next time you want to bring something to the discussion, please know something about it first.
cause you don't. and that's a fact.
I validate it, because I played it almost exclusively during beta (it was probably the fastest way to power level, being that it took only 15 kills and kills took half as long until the last 2 weeks of open beta where they slowed it down).. and it has not changed much since then. It is boring and pathetic, as far as ground combat goes. There are better systems. Heck, I would take Champions Online's ground combat system over this. At least it would be more interesting.

I played hundreds of matches during beta and that was good enough for me. I have plenty to bring to the discussion. Perhaps you should realize that ground combat is a broken pile of garbage. But that is fine... enjoy. I will be in space...you will be in the queue for ground combat.

I am sure we will never meet and I am happy with that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
First of all, people who pvp in space are pvp'ers too. Sorry to break it to you. And if you don't think I do pvp very much, perhaps you should ask around... start with Ninjaboy... he knows I pvp once or twice

I spend 80% of my game time doing pvp, so just stow that elitism away.

Problems

1) Seeing your opponents on radar is dumb. It removes tactical movement opportunities and ambushes. It would be more fun to NOT know where everybody is.

Also ever MMO I know of, you can see your enemy on the map. So I guess all these MMOs are wrong and you are right.

2) To be proficient at ground, you cannot spec into space fully. If I wanted ground pvp, I would turn on Guild Wars and play some real ground pvp. There are games with much better ground battles than this. I did not get this game to go pew pew on the ground.

Sorry but I asked about whats wrong with ground combat, not for you to tell me about your opinion about how another game is better.



3) For all the time the devs have spent on space, they have barely touched ground. Imbalances that have existed since day one have ( with a few exceptions ) been here since beta. Instead of revamping space with every patch, they need to deal with ground

If by imbalance you mean 1 v1 , yea you are right. But in group pvp, all classes are important and thats why CHC can and does win with pretty much any group make up. So I guess we are living proof that this point of yours is wrong.

4) Weapon ranges: It seems to me that a sniper rifle should shoot farther than a pistol. Maybe I am stupid for believing this.... The weapons are not fully realized. There should be a clear reason to use a pistol vs a rifle. This would include pistols being good up close, bad at range,..and rifles being good at range but bad up close. Right now, it really doesn't matter too much.

If you dont see a difference than you are a ground noob tbh. And since you say you have not played it since beta, I guess my assumption about you being a ground noob is more of a fact than a flame.

I am sure I could keep going. There are better ground games out there. If you think people got STO because they were hot to trot for ground combat...you are in the vast minority. It needs work. As it is right now,.. it feels like a tacked on after-thought.

If you dont want to do ground, dont. But everything you said here has less to do with actual problems for ground pvp and more to do with your personal preferences for ground PvP combat.

Please read the red.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.