Just because I felt like I needed to say this. Here we go, in no order whatsoever:
1. Idea for ship interior and making money with the C-Store!
Give the player holodecks! Comes standard with training simulations, such as The Battle of the Bassen Rift, Siege of AR-558, Battle of Wolf 359, Operation Return etc. Of course people should be able to buy and collect all episodes of Vulcan Love Slave, captain proton and Dixon Hill too.
This holodeck could also contain a program where they can battle a single opponent in each available ship class, so people know what to expect when picking one. Or let these be unlockable, say; a commander 8 unlocks the captain ships program.
Oh, and sometimes holodecks fail, and you have to finish the program with the safeties off. That just happens sometimes.
2. Idea for easily expanding content
- Boss encounters. In say, high level explore missions, sometimes you do not encounter six squadrons; but at a distance where you're not shot down instantly - there's a very tough enemy; say Tactical Cube, Dominion Battleship, or Scimitar class.
- Repel the boarding party! You have your own bridge and interior, just add enemies to that. Especially with Borg this is fun, do it within a time limit, before your ship is assimilated!
This could be of course, triggered when you're ON the bridge. The captains chair, should be accessible by just hitting the USE key, anyway; and this might trigger such an event.
With this, Other episodes could work as well, there's a plasma leak on engineering deck, the intermix chamber is collapsing, there's a warhip on an intercept course.... how much fun would it be if your conn officer reports there's a vessel decloacking off the starboard bow, and you can just say 'onscreen' before returning to tactical view! You can of course add a 'not now' button to this, but instead, if it says; 'get us out of here mr. [BONAME] ', maximum warp. With the missions on the interior of the ship, it could be as easy as; 'security to deck nine' or 'Away team, with me'. This will add greatly to the immersion of the game.
Events could also be triggered in sector space. Say; you're transporting a Klingon ambassador back to Qo'NoS, but when you're within a certain range, you're boarded, and have to defend the brig.
Minipuzzle games - for instance a shuffle puzzle, to restore power of a derelict shuttle, decipher the klingon script to stop it from crashing into the colony, rearrangin the eps couplings to prevent the dilithium chamber from overloading.
3.Couple ideas for expanding on locales:
Starfleet Academy! -Let people be down to earth! Follow or give training sessions, and take the big test at that console to see how much history you know; you can add a ladder to it, with times and scores.
Ferenginar - Experience the rain, and bribe your way up to the Grand Nagus to earn some Diplomacy XP, would be fun if in there you have to guess/know/use some rules of acquisition Also, a reason other then the 15-minute holoship to carry latinum around.
Tellar: The perfect environment to *really* test your skills at diplomacy. Humor!
Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, where, for massive merit, you can do a refit: For instance add a console slot, or switch an ensign station for another. Maybe even trade/sell your ship for another?
Vic Fontaine's at DS9, let him tell stories and jokes all around!
More base and ship interiors. Really; for scan the console missions and the like, there's three generic interiors. Make a few more. Romulan Warbird interiors, derelict spooky vessel interiors, that kind of thing. On a note on all the interiors: Lower the ceilings on starships en star bases. They're ridiculously high.
4. Ideas for adding to gameplay elements
- TR-116 rifle: shoot around corners.
- Side-to-side transport : basically teleport: this will be fun!
- Warp Core as item, which can give you bonuses to power output, response times and warp speed.
- Plus: a nice addon to that: EJECT THE CORE! Blow up everything, but make sure you're out of the way. Very expensive though. All right, maybe not that good-an-idea, but would be fun in a mission.
-Adjustable tricorder: set for 'humanoid ifesigns', 'mission objective' and 'anomalies'
-Launch runabout! The big cruisers can add [buy] a runabout they can launch, maybe even man it with a bridge officer!
- Beam directly to sickbay - target is temporarily beamed to the ship, but comes back after a few seconds completely regenerated. This could of course be a [passive] power in a science kit
- Take it from life support if you have to! - power boost to all systems.
- assign BO's to certain functions on a ship for bonuses, like Chief Engineer, Chief Medical and First Officer. Finally a reason to promote your favorite BO to captain.
- When using abandon ship, your crew should survive when you respawn
- First Contact missions should be part of explore missions for ambassadors.
Collisions! Actually having to avoid meteors because they damage your shields/hull will give the escort players a bit of joy fighting the big healing cruisers, and all players a bit more enjoyment whilst doing scan the anomaly mission.
Aux power control for science vessels. Distribute power between emitters and sensors etc.
Main power [from warp engines] subsystem: It's highly protected, but when it goes down, the ship is disabled. But, when Main power is disabled, only a battery or emergency power-power can be used to quickly enable one subsystem, while your engineers have to quickly get main power back up. A rule could be that shields have to be completely disabled before hitting main power is possible.
When I get my ship, all the vessels of the same type look exactly the same! Sure, there's some difference in hull and nacelles, but the configuration is the exact same! How come the commander can't choose an Ambassador Class, but has to stick with the four-nacelle Stargazer configuration? The Captain can't get a Nebula Class because it has to be the exact same configuration as the Galaxy, only with ugly aggressive added looks t it? Nah, that's too easy. More ship configurations! Maybe even balance them out, give them slightly different specs, as hull and inertia and turning speed!
Some things I think would improve the interface: make popup windows scrollable, at least vertically. We have to scroll a lot.
Also, add more power trays, hotkeys be damned, there's not enough with 3x8.
I really like the idea of spending credits to upgrade/refit an old ship. It would be nice to continue using say a Sabre or Akira class ship, and foregoing a new ship class to instead advance the bridge officers and consoles.
I would also like to see some other allied races added such as the Ocampa and the Talaxians. The Voyager episode "Homestead" shows that at least one group of Talaxians made it just shy of the Delta/Beta Quadrent border. With the Hirogen working for the Romulans, is it not concevable that the Talaxians or Ocampa may have made it to the Alpha Quadrent? The Transwarp technology in use by Alpha Quadrent powers certainly facilitates the presence of other Delta Quadrent races.