Lt. Commander
# 31
09-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Well, be it from crappy planning in the first place, or limitations we do not know about, like I said before, the "time/money" aspect of making these fundamental changes to improve the game (which from listening to your description, should have been there in the first place) is not plausible in any case.
I take my view from working in 3D Studio Max years ago...believe it or no, there were limitations of what you could render in animations, and there was NO way to "code around" them. So unless rendering engines have drastically change in the past 10 years or so, I firmly believe that those limitations still exist today, or variances of them anyways.
But, it really doe not matter if we disagree there, what we actually both agree on is IF they can make changes for the good, it will take a year or more to finish (probably more, to keep costs down). Given the code base I am sure they have now, with one tweak breaking consumables, and them taking over a WEEK to fix it back to "normal" with the crew they have now, let's be real....these mind blowing game play changes are just ideas. Implementation is really probably a non-starter.
It looks like coding methodology used at the base of the game may have too much spaghetti to actually make that scale of change a reality.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-07-2010, 03:24 AM
BTW...
COOL Video Bran!
Love watching them, and I hope you keep making them!
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-07-2010, 06:30 AM
I am happy that there are indeed people that enjoy Ground PvP. I worry that any change to the ground combat system might turn them off.

But it's definitely not for me. Startrek isn't really the best IP example for good Ground combat in the first place. But I think the current implementation is lacking. It feels tedious and slow to me. In PvE, I don't really feel like I have the control over my BOs I need (despite full well knowing the targeting options and all that). I can't offer PvP experiences except one, and that was okayish, but slow and ultimately unconvincing.

The biggest problem for me regarding PvP is that you need to spec for it, and that means sacrificing space combat. Why would I do that? I definitely enjoy space combat! Create skill point pools for both systems, and I might actually take some time exploring ground combat. But currently, for every given character, I have to make a lot of hard c hoices, and adding the ground stuff to those choices doesn't make it easier.
I can't avoid ground combat in PvE, but I sure can do so in PvP.